Dark Matter is one of the primary antagonists of the Kirby series, making major appearances in two games to date, namely Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Kirby's Dream Land 3. It also makes a minor appearance as the final boss of Kirby Quest, a Sub-Game of Kirby Mass Attack.
Dark Matter has two primary forms; one such form is that of Dark Matter Blade, which gives him a somewhat humanoid appearance with spiky hair, armor, and a cape, as well as a visor with a single eye. Its most common form is that of a shadowy sphere encircled by small orange or purple balls, and sporting a single eye (referred to as Real Dark Matter in Japanese).
It is capable of possessing other life forms and making them bend to its will, an ability that it frequently takes advantage of to possess Kirby's friends and rivals (notably King Dedede), often forcing them to fight him. While being possessed by Dark Matter, some creatures obtain enhanced and sometimes bizarre abilities. It can also control dark clouds that serve the same purpose on a larger scale, doing so in Kirby's Dream Land 3.
Dark Matter also shows up in Chapter 4 of Kirby Quest from Kirby Mass Attack. It's the final enemy encountered in this Sub-Game. Its appearance is similar to that of its Kirby's Dream Land 2 incarnation, but is bigger and has orange balls as opposed to purple.
Kirby's Dream Land 2
- Main article: Dark Castle - Stage 8#Final Boss: Dark Matter
Dark Matter (referred to here as !? in the game's False Ending) debuted in Kirby's Dream Land 2. Here, it tried to take over Dream Land by breaking the rainbow bridges between the Rainbow Islands and possessing some of its citizens. It can only be fought in this game if Kirby has collected all Rainbow Drops. Otherwise, defeating King Dedede will end the game and lead to the False Ending.
In this game, it first appears in the Dark Matter Blade form. Once this form is defeated, it emerges as its true form, Real Dark Matter, and both combatants begin free-falling. Kirby must defeat Real Dark Matter before reaching the ground, or else he will lose a life. After Dark Matter is defeated, Dream Land goes back to normal.
According to the game's Japanese player's guide, Dark Matter targeted Dream Land because it is lonely:
|Why is Dream Land being targeted?
Dark Matter is a very lonely person. So he gets jealous when he sees a country where everyone is friends, like in Dream Land. He cannot say, "let’s become friends."
— Kirby's Dream Land 2 Japanese player's guide
However, the player's guide is not a direct source from HAL Laboratory, so it is not necessarily considered canon.
Kirby's Dream Land 3
- Main article: Hyper Zone
After being defeated in Kirby's Dream Land 2, Dark Matter once again tries to take over Dream Land alongside Zero, this time using a dark cloud. It can only be fought in this game if Kirby has collected all Heart Stars. After being defeated, the people possessed celebrate together. Otherwise, defeating King Dedede will end the game and lead to the False Ending.
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
While Dark Matter does not directly appear in this title, instead being replaced by the Dark Matter cloud, its "Real Dark Matter" form appears as a painting that Adeleine creates during her boss fight.
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Kirby: Squeak Squad
In Kirby: Squeak Squad, Dark Matter Blade appears in a Graphic featuring various final bosses.
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Kirby Mass Attack
- Main article: Kirby Quest#Chapter 4
Dark Matter is the Final Boss of Kirby Quest, being fought in Chapter 4, Stage 40.
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe
Kirby Star Allies
Dark Matter Blade appears in the Celebration Picture "Bad Boss Brothers" alongside many other final bosses. Additionally, Void Termina's Final Core, Void Soul and Void transform into a Dark Matter-like form for some attacks.
Super Smash Bros. Series
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Dark Matter appears as a ★★★★ primary spirit in its Blade form. Its type is attack, and it possesses 3 support slots. It has level 1 stats of 2,159 attack and 1,876 defense, along with 5,398 attack and 4,691 defense when leveled up to level 99. It can be obtained either by battling it in World of Light, battling it in the Spirit Board, or purchasing it from the Shop.
Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
While not appearing in the anime itself, Dark Matter makes a brief appearance in the Kirby of the Stars Pilot as one of the enemies which Kirby must battle, taking on its appearance from Kirby's Dream Land 3. It is quickly dispatched using the Ice ability.
Relatives of Dark Matter
There are many other creatures and objects which are either similar to or directly related to Dark Matter. They are as follows:
- Dark Matter Clone - A clone of Dark Matter created by Star Dream in Kirby: Planet Robobot.
- Gooey - A friend of Kirby's who is made of Dark Matter.
- Dark Matter (cloud) - A cloudy mass of Dark Matter beings that is controlled by Dark Matter, Zero, and 0².
- Miracle Matter - A form of Dark Matter which utilizes many Copy Ability elements in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
- Zero - A huge white sphere that appears after Dark Matter is defeated in Kirby's Dream Land 3, with the ability of summoning even more Dark Matters.
- 0² - Thought to be the successor to Zero, fought in in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
- Dark Mind - A powerful foe who resided in the Dimension Mirror and was able to influence other characters.
- Dark Nebula - A star-shaped being who was confined to a treasure chest, fought in Kirby: Squeak Squad. The Japanese-exclusive Hoshi no Kirby 20th Anniversary Pupupu Taizen states that Dark Nebula (known in Japanese as Dark Zero) is likely to be a relative of Dark Matter, but their exact relationship is unknown. This relationship has never been stated in the games or any localized English source.
- Master Crown - An object of immense power which is stolen by Magolor in Kirby's Return to Dream Land.
- Dark Crafter - The color-stealing main antagonist of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse with some similarities to the Dark Matter line.
- Void Termina - A giant monster with various aspects of the Dark Matter family, summoned by Hyness in Kirby Star Allies. Void Termina's core is notably similar to Kirby in appearance and demeanor.
- Main article: Vs. Dark Matter (theme from Kirby's Dream Land 2)
- Main article: Vs. Dark Matter (theme from Kirby's Dream Land 3)
Dark Matter has various boss battle themes for its different forms.
- Its theme from Kirby's Dream Land 2 has been remixed in Kirby: Planet Robobot (for Dark Matter Clone) and Kirby Star Allies (for Rick & Kine & Coo vs Morpho Knight).
- Its theme from Kirby's Dream Land 3 has been remixed in Kirby Star Allies (for Gooey vs Morpho Knight).
- Dark Mind is likely the Mirror World counterpart of Dark Matter. Dark Mind's true form is also a huge sphere with a single eye (more resembling Zero though).
- In Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and in Super Kirby Clash, a set of Swordsman Dark Matter-themed weapon and armor for Sword Hero is sold in Magolor's Shoppe. The sword is covered with purple aura and the armor resembles the appearance of the dark swordsman, even with its living single eye.
- In Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, the final boss, Dark Matter, shares similar qualities with Dark Matter from the Kirby series, such as having the same name in English and Japanese, being a main antagonist, and having the ability to control the minds of other characters.
Names in other languages
àn wù zhì
àn wù zhì
|French||Matière Noire||Dark Matter|
|Spanish||Materia Oscura||Dark Matter|