Dark Matter is one of the primary antagonists of the Kirby series, making major appearances in three games to date, namely Kirby's Dream Land 2, Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (commonly called the "Dark Matter Trilogy"). It also makes a minor appearance as the final boss of Kirby Quest, a Sub-Game of Kirby Mass Attack.
Dark Matter has many different forms, one of its most common appearances being a shadowy sphere encircled by small orange or purple balls, and sporting a single eye (referred to as Real Dark Matter in Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition Compilation Soundtrack to distinguish from its Swordsman form).
It is capable of possessing other life forms and making them bend to its will, an ability that it frequently takes advantage of to possess Kirby's friends and rivals (notably King Dedede), often forcing them to fight him. While being possessed by Dark Matter, some creatures obtain enhanced and sometimes bizarre abilities. In Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, three Dark Matter beings attack Ribbon and later possesses Waddle Dee, Adeleine and Dedede.
Dark Matter also shows up in Chapter 4 of Kirby Quest from Kirby Mass Attack. It's the final enemy encountered in this Sub-Game. Its appearance is similar to that of its Kirby's Dream Land 2 incarnation, but is bigger and has orange balls as opposed to purple.
Relatives of Dark Matter
There are many other creatures and objects which are either similar to or directly related to Dark Matter. They are as follows:
- Dark Matter Clone - A clone of Dark Matter created by Star Dream in Kirby: Planet Robobot.
- Gooey - A friend of Kirby's who is made of Dark Matter.
- Miracle Matter - A form of Dark Matter which utilizes many Copy Ability elements in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
- Zero - A huge white sphere that appears after Dark Matter is defeated in Kirby's Dream Land 3, with the ability of summoning even more Dark Matters.
- 0² - Thought to be the successor to Zero, fought in in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
- Dark Mind - A powerful foe who resided in the Dimension Mirror and was able to influence other characters.
- Dark Nebula - A star-shaped being who was confined to a treasure chest, fought in Kirby: Squeak Squad.
- Master Crown - An object of immense power which is stolen by Magolor in Kirby's Return to Dream Land.
- Void Termina - A giant monster with various aspects of the Dark Matter family, summoned by Hyness in Kirby Star Allies.
- Dark Crafter - The color-stealing main antagonist of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse with some similarities to the Dark Matter line.
Kirby's Dream Land 2
- Main article: Dark_Castle_-_Stage_8#Final_Boss:_Dark_Matter
Kirby's Dream Land 3
- Main article: Hyper Zone
Dark Matter can only be fought in this game if Kirby has collected all Heart Stars. Otherwise, defeating King Dedede will end the game and lead to the False Ending.
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
- Main article: Pop Star (level)
Dark Matter is not directly fought in this game, but three Dark Matter beings called Dark Rimuru, Dark Rimura, and Dark Rimuro instead possesse Waddle Dee (turning him into Waddle Doo), Adeleine, and King Dedede respectively, forcing Kirby to battle with them as minibosses on Pop Star.
Kirby Quest in Kirby Mass Attack
- Main article: Kirby Quest#Chapter 4
Dark Matter is the Final Boss of Kirby Quest.
- Main article: Vs. Dark Matter (theme from Kirby's Dream Land 2)
- Main article: Vs. Dark Matter (theme from Kirby's Dream Land 3)
Dark Matter has various boss battle themes for its different forms.
- Its theme from Kirby's Dream Land 2 has been remixed in Kirby: Planet Robobot (for Dark Matter Clone) and Kirby Star Allies (for Rick & Kine & Coo vs Morpho Knight).
- Its theme from Kirby's Dream Land 3 has been remixed in Kirby Star Allies (for Gooey vs Morpho Knight).
- In the anime, Dark Matter only appears in the pilot episode of Kirby: Right Back at Ya!. It was easily defeated by Ice Kirby who had just swallowed Ice Dragon.
- Dark Mind is somehow the Mirror World counterpart of Dark Matter. Dark Mind's true form is also a huge sphere with a single eye (more resembling Zero though).
- In Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and in Super Kirby Clash, a set of Swordsman Dark Matter-themed weapon and armor for Sword Hero is sold in Magolor's Shoppe. The sword is covered with purple aura and the armor resembles the appearance of the dark swordsman, even with his living single eye.
- In Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, the final boss, Dark Matter, shares similar qualities with Dark Matter from the Kirby series, such as having the same name in English and Japanese, being a main antagonist, and having the ability to control the minds of others.
Names in other languages
àn wù zhì
àn wù zhì