Pix is the energy-diamond trio fought as the boss of the Rock Star realm in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. It consists of three separately moving and hovering octahedrons, each of which is a different color (red, green, and blue) and each of which are about Kirby's size. Each piece of Pix is capable of conjuring a triangular blade to attack Kirby with, and can also drop bombs of color. Pix may be found within the futuristic pyramid-like structure located in the Rock Star desert area, and is fought on an elevator which moves up to the pinnacle of a spire atop the structure. Defeating Pix yields one of the missing Crystal Shards, and allows Kirby and his team to access the next world of Aqua Star.
The name Pix appears to be an abbreviation of the word "pixel", which itself is short for "picture element". Pixels are defined as the most basic element of a digital picture, and typically come in red, green, or blue varieties, which matches Pix's appearance.
Pix's fight takes place in two distinct phases.
The fight begins as Kirby rides a large circular elevator up a shaft within the pyramid. As the elevator rises, Pix reveals itself piece-by-piece, each time performing an attack with its extendable blades as it moves around the elevator platform. Each pattern is summarized as follows:
- The singular red diamond shoots out a blade and moves across the platform with it, changing direction once. This lasts roughly 10 seconds.
- The red and green diamonds shoot out blades and rotate with them as they move quickly across the stage, changing direction three times. This lasts roughly 20 seconds.
- All three diamonds shoot out blades and move around the platform while rising and sinking repeatedly, changing direction twice. This lasts roughly 15 seconds.
During this phase, Kirby cannot attack Pix, and must focus on dodging until the elevator stops moving.
Once the elevator reaches the top, Pix changes its attack patterns and becomes vulnerable to retaliation from Kirby. At regular intervals, six objects warp into the battlefield on the platform which resemble molecular diagrams; two of each match one of the Pix diamond's color. Kirby can inhale these and spit them back at Pix to damage it. If he matches the color of the projectile with that of the diamond, he will deal double damage. Each diamond of Pix has separate HP, and will be disabled if hit by two matching molecules, or by four non-matching ones. Pix can also be attacked using Copy Abilities.
During this phase, Pix has two different methods of attack. The first involves hovering over the platform and dropping bombs of color at regular intervals which cannot be inhaled. The second involves bunching together and flying in a ring around the platform. If a Pix diamond is disabled, it will be unable to drop bombs or collide with Kirby to harm him, but it will still move in tandem with the others until all three are defeated.
- Pix's three segments are likely meant to represent the RGB color model.
- The Kirby: Planet Robobot boss Holo Defense API resembles Pix to a degree, but consists of four diamonds and a base, and does not fight like Pix.