|I did it! It all went according to plan! I got the sun and moon to fight. I got you to go into space... it was all according to my perfect little plan! Now I can cause all the mischief I want! Haha! See you later!|
— Marx in Kirby Super Star Ultra
Kirby Super Star (Ultra)
In Milky Way Wishes of Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra, Marx first appears in the beginning, where he initially seems to be a friendly character. He alerts Kirby that the Sun and the Moon of Popstar are fighting. He sends Kirby on an adventure to gather the power of the surrounding stars and awaken Nova.
After completing the levels, Kirby manages to awaken Nova. Just as Kirby wishes for the Sun and Moon to stop fighting, Marx appears and knocks Kirby out the way. In an act of betrayal, Marx wishes to rule Popstar, and reveals that he started the fight between the Sun and Moon, as part of his plot to rule Popstar. Nova accepts his wish and transforms Marx into a more powerful form, complete with a pair of two large wings. Marx sends Nova on a collision course into Popstar. After destroying Nova, Kirby goes after Marx, and the two engage in a final boss fight. Like most other bosses, Kirby must continue to hit Marx until he gets defeated.
During battle, Marx teleports around a lot and taunts Kirby with his high-pitched laugh. He uses many other attacks including:
- Throwing purplish-white crescents at Kirby
- Flying above to drop seeds that rapidly grow into spiked vines
- Appearing on the ground as a black hole and then suddenly springing out under his true form
- Spewing bombs that turn into spheres of ice when get near Kirby
- Firing arrows from either side of the screen
- Spewing out a massive, large beam taking up most of the screen
- Splitting into two halves and forming a black hole in the center to; if Kirby is sucked in appears, he gets slammed into the ground, sustaining serious damage.
As Marx is defeated by Kirby, he is sent flying into Nova, causing it to explode.
Marx is fought as one of the bosses in The Arena. In Kirby Super Star Ultra, Marx has a role near the end of The True Arena mode. It is revealed that, after his destruction in the ending of Milky Way Wishes, Marx's body began to absorb remaining energy from Nova. With the power, Marx brought back his evil soul as Marx Soul, the final boss of The True Arena.
Kirby Mass Attack
In Kirby Mass Attack, Marx appears in the sub-game Kirby Brawlball as the fourth and final boss. He is much bigger than in his previous appearances. His Quad Cutter and Arrow Flurry attacks serve as objects that can push Kirby down. His Light Beam can freeze Kirby for a few seconds if he's caught in it. With his Black Hole attack, he will suck up random enemies, then shoot them out of his mouth. These enemies can't touch Kirby, but he can be sucked by the attack as well, which may cause the player to lose sight of him. His Vines appear as obstacles in the field. Copies of his original form, known as the Minimarx[from internal data], also appear in the field. Kirby can defeat him for two extra Kirby balls, though this can only be done up to five times.
Kirby Star Allies
|The famous jester from Kirby Super Star has finally arrived to get in on the action! Sure, he's had a diabolical past as a final boss, but he'll be your buddy if you keep him well-fed. It's a dream come true!|
— Flavor text of Marx in Story Mode and The Ultimate Choice
|"Got a plan? Glad to help!"
The cosmic jester from Kirby Super Star sensed danger from afar and is ready to roll across galaxies on his ball! This final boss is here to help!
— Flavor text of Marx in Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!
Marx's attack style revolves around his ability to kick jester balls at his opponents and - while flying - use several attacks from his boss form. He is able to receive elemental powers from other allies which can further boost his arsenal.
|Marx's Dream Friend Moveset in Kirby Star Allies|
|Skill||Button Execution||Skill||Button Execution|
|Jester Ball Ride||Black Hole|
|Ball Kick||Marx Megaspin|
|Change Kick Angle||Marx Flip Ultima|
|Ball Kick Shot||Shadow Uppercut|
|Time-Bomb Jester Ball||Rush|
|Prank Kick||Flip Ultima Combo|
|Radiant Flight||Spin Combo|
|Jester Ball Spit-Drop|
When given a certain element, many of Marx's attacks take on additional effects which are reminiscent of some of his boss moves:
- Using Jester Ball Spit-Drop with Blizzard causes ice shockwaves to spread out after the ball is dropped, resembling his 'Ice Ball' as boss.
- Using Jester Ball Spit-Drop with Bluster causes him to shoot out 4 cutters all around himself, resembling his 'Shooter Cutter' as a boss.
- Using Jester Ball Spit-Drop with Splash causes spiky vines to shoot out of the ground, resembling his 'Seed Attack' as a boss.
- Using Rush with Zap causes him to shoot numerous lightning arrows forward, resembling his arrow barrage attack as a boss.
- Using Rush with Sizzle causes him to shoot numerous fireballs forward. This is an new move for Marx because he has never used any fire element attack before.
- Since Version 2.0.0, the Stone ability can transform into Marx's true form splitting in half.
- Since Version 2.0.0, a hidden stone plate of Marx's true form can be found after activating the Pull Switch at the end of Extra Planet β.
- Marx appears as a surprise bonus boss in the Happy Ending credits of Heroes in Another Dimension, where he'll utilize all of his moves from the original boss fight. Interestingly, he is given his laugh from Kirby Super Star Ultra while the playable Marx uses his Kirby Super Star laugh.
- Marx appears in three Celebration Pictures: "Super Ultra Battle", "Crazy Mischief in the Stars" and "Bad Boss Brothers".
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Marx retains his role as a boss and his moveset from Kirby Super Star (except the arrow attack), but has three new attacks which can greatly weaken the fighter's shield:
- Marx's eyes turn dark and black bouncy balls appear, which deal darkness damage.
- Marx goes into the middle of the arena, retracts his wings and causes veins to come out and spread across the arena, which deal fire damage.
- Marx's eyes grow into the size of a kinball and his pupils multiply, causing him to shoot out multiple purple lasers out of his eyes, which deal electric damage.
Marx's cutters and ice balls can be inhaled or reflected. After beating Marx, he bounces on the stage sporadically while screaming before he lands on the floor with his wings separated.
In Adventure Mode: World of Light, Marx is one of the three bosses of Dharkon's army in The Dark Realm, first fought at the end of Mysterious Dimension. Defeating him in Mysterious Dimension rewards the Primary Spirit of Marx in his small form (★★ Advanced, Grab-type, 3 slots; Skill: none, attack: 1,001 base, 4,004 max, defense: 587 base, 2,351 max), which can be enhanced into Marx (True Form) (★★★★ Legend, Grab-type, 3 slots; Skill: Magic Attack ↑, attack: 2,533 base, 6,333 max, defense: 1,654 base, 4,153 max). Later, Marx and the other five bosses of Galeem's and Dharkon's armies will be fought again in a boss rush during the final battle.
- In Kirby: Squeak Squad, Marx makes a cameo appearance on one of the puzzles Kirby can put together.
- In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Marx makes two cameo appearances. He appears as a statue (in his small form) Kirby can get with the Stone ability. He can also be seen among the audience in the Kirby Master video.
- In Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Marx again appears as a Stone sculpture, again riding his ball, but this time paired up with Magolor. He also appears among the audience in the Kirby Master video. Both Marx and Marx Soul appear as Keychains.
- In Kirby: Planet Robobot, Marx appears as a sticker.
In his default form, Marx is light purple and round with large eyes, no arms, a red bow tie, brown shoes, and a jester hat. He often moves around on a jester ball of blue and red.
Marx's true form has a large pair of wings made of glowing crystals, which are supported by two yellow arms. His true form has a longer bow tie and much more menacing eyes. He is somewhat larger in his true form, and is about as big as his smaller form as a Dream Friend.
Marx uses a variety of moves in battle. His main ability is teleporting, but he has many other attacks, as detailed below.
|Shooter Cutter||Marx appears to teleport, but instead shoots out four cutter boomerangs.|
This attack has since appeared on many later final bosses in Kirby series.
|Seed Attack||Marx flies off the screen, dropping four damaging seeds in random places in the arena.|
About a second later, thorn vines spring up from locations of the seeds.
|Shadow Uppercut||Marx appears as a flashing circle on the ground that follows Kirby.|
After a few seconds, he springs up in an attempt to ram into Kirby.
|Marx Laser||Marx assumes a strange expression, then attempts to fire an enormous, damaging beam out of his mouth.|
Cannot be guarded at all.
|Jester Ball Spit-Drop
|Marx assumes a strange expression, then drops a bomb out of his mouth.|
After reaching Kirby's height, it explodes into two icy shockwaves that may freeze Kirby in the air or on the ground.
|Marx flashes, then releases hundreds of damaging arrows from his body.|
After the arrow barrage, he swoops off the stage.
|Black Hole||Marx splits in half, creating a black hole. If Kirby is sucked in, he is transported to an alternate dimension in which he takes massive damage.|
Cannot be guarded but can be avoided by dashing to one end of the stage. The dimension appears to be a maelstrom of energy.
|Attacks names are taken from Japanese guide book and Marx's Moveset in Kirby Star Allies.|
- Main article: Vs. Marx
Marx's theme song is "Vs. Marx" (also titled "Meddlesome Marx"). Originally his boss battle theme in Kirby Super Star and its remake, his theme is remixed to make a surprise appearance in Kirby Star Allies.
Marx (top right) as seen on "Pupupu Times Vol.2" towel from "Pupupu Train" 2018 merchandise. The news headline says "Marx's plan to control Popstar failed!"
Marx's Dream Friend trailer for Kirby Star Allies
|Quotes from Marx in Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra|
- The Japanese manual of Kirby Super Star describes Marx as a magician (魔法使い). In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the Spirit of Marx (True Form) has the Magic Attack ↑ skill, which possibly refers to him being a magician.
- The planet Marx is fought on is referred to as ????, which is the same name as that of the secret planet (which is where Kirby gets the Copy Essence Deluxe of Copy).
- Marx has no hands, so he uses his hat to grab things like Pull Switches in Kirby Star Allies. However, he does have hands in some manga series.
- In Kirby Star Allies, Marx's Black Hole can suck Kirby's dropped Ability Star.
- Some unused data in Marx's boss battle in the Heroes in Another Dimension credits in Kirby Star Allies has been found, including a health bar and unique music. This music is notably the same music that plays when fighting Morpho Knight as Marx. This may indicate that Marx was planned as an actual secret boss at one point.
Names in other languages
|An uncommon spelling of the name "Mark" (usually マーク Māku); rendered "Marx" in official romanizations.|
mó lū kù
|Transcription of Maruku|
mó lū kù
- "魔法使いのマルクは、ポップスターのそばにある星々をつなげることで大彗星を呼べば解決することを教えてくれました。" (Japanese Kirby Super Star manual, pg. 26)