Cappy Town Down
Cappy Town Down is the 98th episode of the Kirby: Right Back at Ya! series, and continues the story from the previous episode: Air-Ride-in-Style - Part II. In this episode, another Destroya is sent to Dream Land, which proceeds to lay waste to the kingdom before Kirby can stop it using the Crash Copy Ability. Both Castle Dedede and Cappy Town are utterly wrecked, leaving the Cappies with little recourse but to join Kirby and Meta Knight on their quest to get revenge on Night Mare Enterprises. To accomplish this, Meta Knight reveals his hidden weapon: the Battleship Halberd, which he had been working on in secret in the depths of Castle Dedede. He, Kirby, and a team of their closest allies set off after shooting down several more Destroyas sent to menace Dream Land and head straight for eNeMeE's Fortress, while King Dedede and Escargoon tag along uninvited.
The following characters appear in this episode:
|Cast of "Cappy Town Down"|
|"The time has finally come."|
|"Oh, Tuff! This is terrible! The whole place was destroyed when that spaceship attacked! There's no Cappy Town left!"|
|"That sword-swingin' two-timer can't mess with me."|
|*garbled* "eNeMeE" *garbled*|
|"Maybe it's time for you to move on."|
|"Right under the fountain! I saw Meta Knight lead the Cappies there!"|
|"Yeah! We lost everything 'cause of you!"|
|"He sure didn't protect us this time."|
|"You'll need a medic!"|
|"I wouldn't be too surprised if we get stuck with the phone bill!"|
|(Falala) "I'm in!" |
(Fololo) "Me too!"
|"Yeah, this is all your fault, Kirby!"|
|"We don't have a chance!"|
|"That's why we don't have a place to live anymore."|
|"He's a big hero!"|
|"Tiff told us about you!"|
|"Well, what are ya waitin' for?! We can't let a Star Warrior battle alone!"|
|"I think we should lend him our eardrums!"|
|"This sounds crazy!"|
|"When your ship crashed, we welcomed you to Cappy Town and now we're paying for it, Kirby!"|
|"There's not a mailbox left in the whole town."|
|"Our intelligence shows he may not be a one hundred percent loyal subject, so if you spot anything suspicious, I want you to get in touch with me."|
|"Maybe we should just get rid of Kirby!"|
|"It's a fine mess Kirby's got us in."|
|"Perhaps Meta Knight wants to help us!"|
|"You live on that island!"|
|"Meta Knight. Shall we go and get our little surprise ready?"|
|"Folks are saying this is your fault!"|
|"But they're trying to put out all the fires!"|
|"It was a mistake to let you live here."|
Whispy Woods and the animals
The episode begins on a peaceful night in Dream Land, as everyone is fast asleep. At that moment, a Destroya flies in and immediately starts wrecking the country. As everyone is stirred awake, Tiff, calls for the Warp Star and Kirby uses it to quickly ride up to the Destroya and blow it up using the Crash Copy Ability much like he did in the previous episode: Air-Ride-in-Style - Part II. However, despite this quick dispatch, it is too late, as all of Cappy Town has been burnt to the ground and the now homeless Cappies are standing outside mourning the loss of their village. As Tiff and the others observe the damage from the castle, Meta Knight appears and tells them that the time has finally come to prepare their counterattack and to get the Cappies ready. Once they reach the town, however, they see that the whole place has been desolated and that the Cappies are grieving. Tokkori then informs Kirby that the whole town has decided to place the blame on him, and this is confirmed when the Cappies turn in scorn toward the pink Star Warrior.
The Cappies proceed to pile the blame on Kirby, but Tiff steps in to defend him, saying that King Dedede was the one who was really responsible. After a little more back and forth, Tiff manages to convince the Cappies to follow her back to the castle so that Meta Knight can address them and lead them forward. As this is happening, King Dedede is complaining to the N.M.E. Sales Guy about the failure of the Destroya to defeat Kirby. The Sales Guy assures him that his company is working on something big to get rid of Kirby, and wants King Dedede to do some reconnaissance for him to see if Meta Knight is plotting anything. To this end, The Sales Guy sends King Dedede a cell phone that he can use to contact N.M.E. at any time and to send them live video footage of any untoward activities. Meanwhile, out in the courtyard, the Cappies assemble to hear what Meta Knight has to say, and Meta Knight shows them a secret stairway hidden inside the castle fountain. As they head down, they are seen by Captain Waddle Doo. At the bottom of the stairway, everyone piles on to an elevator which takes them deep underground. As they descend, Captain Waddle Doo reports what he saw to King Dedede and Escargoon and they head underground as well using their own passageway.
Once everyone has reached the bottom, they enter a massive open chamber and Meta Knight reveals to them his secret weapon: the battleship Halberd, which he has been working on ever since he first came to Dream Land. From a safe distance, King Dedede pulls out his phone and shows N.M.E. the ship, which causes the Sales Guy to panic. King Dedede then steps in and berates Meta Knight for keeping this a secret from him, and demands to see the inside of the ship, which Meta Knight agrees to. They all enter and walk up to the bridge, where Sword Knight and Blade Knight are getting things ready. Meta Knight activates the main screen and shows everyone an image of eNeMeE's Fortress, surrounded by defensive Destroyas. The Cappies despair at the thought of going up against an armada of that size, but they are interrupted when the ground starts to tremble at the bombardment of several more Destroyas sent to finish off Dream Land. Meta Knight urges the Cappies to help him pilot his ship, but they all run, afraid to go up against Night Mare Enterprises. They get back outside the castle only to find the entire countryside going up in flames, destroying what little remains of the town.
Meanwhile, King Dedede and Escargoon return to the throne room only to see that during the bombardment, the Monster Delivery System was destroyed. Outraged, King Dedede dials up the Sales Guy and demands he replaces it. The Sales Guy says he will do so and throw in a free monster on top if the two of them destroy the Halberd for him. As the bombardment of Dream Land continues, Kirby heads out on his Warp Star to try and buy the others a little more time to prepare. As the Cappies watch Kirby struggle, Kit Cosmos appears on the scene and addresses the crowd, telling them to stand up and help Kirby. The Cappies continue to resist, but Kit Cosmos shames them by saying that Kirby is risking his life to help them while they do nothing. This succeeds, and the Cappies return to the Halberd with Kit Cosmos, with several pledging to go on the trip while the rest stay behind to rebuild the town. With everything settled and the crew on board, Meta Knight fires the engines and prepares for takeoff, while King Dedede and Escargoon accidentally sneak on board.
The Halberd then emerges from its hangar and rises into the air while all of the Dream Landers outside watch its ascent. Once positioned, the Halberd proceeds to fire its main cannon at one of the Destroyas as Kirby moves out of the way. The shot passes straight through the Destroya and causes it to explode. Kirby then flies into the Halberd using a rooftop entrance and joins the rest of the crew, while Tiff takes hold of the Warp Star for safekeeping. From there, the remaining Destroyas bombard the Halberd with their explosive rounds, but the Halberd quickly retaliates and destroys every one of them before proceeding upward into outer space. As the crew straps in, Meta Knight activates the Halberd's warp drive, and they set a course straight for eNeMeE's Fortress as the episode comes to a close.
Differences between versions
- In the Japanese version, there is an entirely different opening scene which involves a new Destaryer coming in to Pupupu Land at and wrecking it. Kirby sets off to destroy this Destaryer with the Crash ability, and this one is responsible for destroying Pupu Village rather than the one in the previous episodes.
- In the Japanese version, the ringtone for the cell phone is different, matching Kirby! rather than the Kirby: Right Back at Ya! song.
- In the Japanese version, there is no advance warning from Tokkori that the Cappies are blaming Kirby for the town's destruction.
- In the Japanese version, Mayor Len tells Kirby that half his sheep died when the town was destroyed.
- In the Japanese version, when King Dedede receives the cell phone from Customer Service, they break the fourth wall by remarking that the ringtone is "Kirby's opening theme". Dr. Escargon reinforces this by saying (translated) "Reality and fiction are getting a little mixed up..."
- In the Japanese version, when King Dedede and Escargon first see the Halberd, they reference the anime Space Battleship Yamato, which the Halberd itself was based on.
- In the Japanese version, Meta Knight explains that he built the Halberd using leftover blueprints from the Galaxy Soldier Army.
- In the Japanese version, Customer Service promises half-price monsters from then on to King Dedede if he destroys the Halberd, rather than replacing the teleporter and one free monster afterward.
- In the Japanese version, Sword Knight specifically refers to the planet which Pupupu Land is situated as Popstar. This is the first time the planet's name has ever been mentioned in the show.
- For the movie version of this episode, it is cut to imply that the first Destroya which visited Dream Land in Air-Ride-in-Style - Part I and Part II was responsible for destroying Cappy Town, as everything prior to the Cappies mourning their burning town is removed.
- In the opening scenes, Escargoon is seen sleeping with a small doll of King Dedede.
- Notably, despite Fololo & Falala being aboard the Halberd and swearing to come with Meta Knight to eNeMeE's Fortress, they ultimately are not part of the crew for unknown reasons. After The Halberd takes to the sky and destroys the Destroyas, they are simply not there, nor are they present with the crew in Combat Kirby and Fright to the Finish. Their absence is possibly a continuity error on part of the show's developers.
Names in other languages
Hasshin! Senkan Harubādo
|Launch the Battleship Halberd!|
|Brazilian Portuguese||O Fim de Cappy Town||The End of Cappy Town|