A 1-Up, also formatted as 1 Up or 1UP, and also known as an Extra Life, is a popular video game item made famous by the original Super Mario Bros. It rewards Kirby (or the playable character) with an extra life, or another chance to complete a level, stage, or game that they would otherwise not be able to after exhausting all previous lives. In the Kirby series, earning 1-Ups varies in difficulty, but resetting the game will usually reset the number of extra lives the player has. If Kirby loses all his extra lives, the player gets a Game Over. In most games, 1-Ups depict Kirby with the text "1up" written on him.
In the first game in the series - Kirby's Dream Land - 1-Ups were rather uncommon, and could only be found in specific locations in short quantities. They were displayed in-game merely as flashing text that spelled out 1-Up which could be collected.
Starting with Kirby's Adventure, and carrying on to most titles since then, 1-Ups can be earned in Sub-Games and Goal Games, making them much more readily accessible. If the player is at least decently skilled, they should have no problem retaining a healthy supply of extra lives in most cases.
Starting with Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, 1-Ups were redesigned to resemble the characters which collected them, with the standard being a small replica of Kirby with the 1-Up text in white in front of it. When another game mode is played, such as Meta Knightmare, the 1-Up will be styled after that character instead.
In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, an extra life is spent every time another character joins in during a stage. Characters can still join in however if there are no lives remaining, meaning this mechanic can only really serve to endanger Kirby should he then get KO'd during the adventure.
Kirby Super Star
- Wii U Virtual Console manual bio: "Increases the number of remaining Kirbys by one."
- 1-Ups can also be found in some hidden HAL Rooms if some blocks are broken.
- 1-Ups are given a small redesign in Return to Dream Land's Extra Game, in that a small crown is added onto the head of the Kirby figurine.
Artwork from Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
- Kirby: Triple Deluxe digital manual
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror manual, page 27.
- Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land manual, page 22.
- Kirby: Planet Robobot digital manual
- Kirby's Dream Land manual, page 15.
- Kirby Super Star Ultra manual, page 21.