|Now then, hero of the lower world. You would risk your life for this land? You would stand against me, the ruler of the heavens? Very well... You will bow before the great Queen Sectonia! My beauty rivals the divine... And my power will crush all that you hold dear!|
— Queen Sectonia in Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Queen Sectonia is the primary antagonist of Kirby: Triple Deluxe, making her debut as the penultimate boss of that game and returning as a projection Taranza can summon in one of his moves as a Dream Friend in Kirby Star Allies. She first appears in-game after Kirby beats Taranza, who was the queen's loyal servant. Queen Sectonia is a power-hungry and half-crazed tyrant who sought to control all of Floralia. After she is defeated in battle, she combines with the Dreamstalk for her second phase. In The True Arena, this form is replaced with Soul of Sectonia, who has an additional phase.
Queen Sectonia has made multiple cameo appearances in later Kirby games, though due to her presumed death, none have her physically appear.
Queen Sectonia is a lavishly decorated character who resembles a wasp. She bears a primarily blue and yellow-striped face and body, with a pink heart on her thorax. She bears four golden translucent wings, a wide regal crest, and a gaudy gem-encrusted crown. She wields two magical staves; the left one is silver and has a green crystal, while the right one is gold and has a magenta crystal. She carries these with two disembodied gloved hands. Queen Sectonia has no trouble flying, and typically hovers off the ground. She is also capable of teleporting short distances, leaving blurry disorienting images of herself as she does so. As Queen Sectonia DX, her design bears a pink and red color scheme with spiked magenta wings. Her overall appearance has more pointed edges, as well.
Long before the events of Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Sectonia and Taranza were once good friends who lived peacefully on the highest island of Floralia, Royal Road. Sectonia used to be a kind and benevolent ruler; however, this changed when Taranza gifted her the Dimension Mirror. Both unaware of its powers, the mirror's influence caused Sectonia to become self-obsessed and tyrannical. She used magic to make herself appear more beautiful, and began to feed off of other species as a parasitic host. To ensure that nobody would challenge her rule, she imprisoned the People of the Sky and built an army of magically created minions to guard her palace in Royal Road.
In a last-ditch effort to save themselves, the People of the Sky devised a seed and sent it tumbling toward the land below, which so happened to be Dream Land. This seed was designed to grow into the Dreamstalk, and bring the hero of Dream Land up to Floralia to save its people. Seeing this, Queen Sectonia ordered Taranza to go down there and preemptively kidnap the hero so they would not be a threat. Unfortunately, Taranza mistook King Dedede for the hero and took him instead, leaving Kirby to give chase. When Kirby finally catches up to the throne room and rescues Dedede, Taranza realizes his mistake and attempts to call upon Sectonia for help; instead, she blasts him away for his trouble and battles Kirby herself.
In her current form, Sectonia is vain and power-hungry, and she believes that her beauty makes her equivalent to the divine. She has a bit of a shallow demeanor, with no obvious goal other than amassing more power. She also has a bad habit of cackling incessantly when she fights. Despite this, she has the combat skills to back up her boasting, as she is well-trained in both swordplay and sorcery. As shown by her actions toward Taranza, she is no longer of sound mind and will even attack those who are near to her. Therefore, Kirby sends her to an "eternal dreamland" before the night is done.
|Queen Sectonia's video game appearances|
|Kirby: Triple Deluxe||Main antagonist, final boss and villain|
|Kirby: Planet Robobot||Reference||Sectonia Clone is based on her. She is also referenced in her pause screen description.|
|Kirby Battle Royale||Reference||One of the masks for Spear Kirby is based on her.|
|Kirby Star Allies||Reference||A Stone sculpture of her original form appears in this game. She also appears in one of Taranza's attacks, called Queen's Phantom.|
|Super Kirby Clash||Reference||Sectonia Mask is based on her.|
|Kirby Fighters 2||Reference||A Rare Outfit for Parasol is based on her.|
|Super Smash Bros. series|
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate||Cameo||Appears as spirit|
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
|Sectonia and Taranza were once good friends, but Sectonia became obsessed with vanity and delusions of grandeur. It wasn't long before her heart went evil, turning her into the power-hungry monarch she is today.|
— VS Queen Sectonia DX, Special Page in Kirby: Triple Deluxe
In Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Queen Sectonia's visage is seen all over Royal Road, but she does not make her physical appearance until Kirby defeats Taranza and Masked Dedede in Royal Road - Stage 6. Taranza calls for her assistance after he realizes that King Dedede was not the hero of Dream Land he meant to capture. Angered by his failure, the queen swats Taranza aside, then proceeds to confirm Kirby's identity as the hero of Dream Land. After a somewhat lengthy and convoluted speech about obtaining ultimate power and beauty, she does battle with Kirby directly. However, even given her magical potency, she falls to the pink warrior.
- Main article: Queen Sectonia (second form)
In a last-ditch attempt to defeat Kirby, Sectonia merges with the Dreamstalk. She nearly defeats Kirby in this form, but King Dedede and Taranza (after a change of heart) team up to save him. At the end of the fight, Kirby assumes Hypernova form and destroys Queen Sectonia by blasting her with her own power beam, thus freeing the Kingdom of Floralia.
- Main article: Soul of Sectonia
In The True Arena, this fight plays out slightly differently. After being destroyed by the power beam, Queen Sectonia uses the last of her strength to consume four Miracle Fruits, transforming into Soul of Sectonia. She then fights Kirby one more time, with maximum power. Once she is defeated in this form, she is (finally) destroyed for good.
|The evil queen who bewitched Taranza is motivated by beauty and world domination. She seized control of Floralia and oppressed the People of the Sky with her cruelty. It's time to face the true mastermind behind the curtain!|
— VS Queen Sectonia, Special Page in Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Queen Sectonia fights with a pair of staves. She can cast spells with these staves and transform them into rapiers for melee combat. She also teleports constantly between attacks, similar to Nightmare, Marx and Magolor.
The following attack names are taken from the Japanese guide book.
In Phase 1, Queen Sectonia fights in the hall of her palace.
Queen Sectonia attacks in a fixed order on loop in Story Mode and The Arena as follows:
|Attacks - Phase 1|
|Silver Rod Shot||Sectonia fires 3 purple orbs from her left rod aimed at Kirby. Each orb leaves a Recoil Star on impact.|
|Triple Slash||Sectonia transforms her rods into dual rapiers.|
She will then perform a left slash, a right slash, and finish with a thrust.
Each of the first two slashes leaves a star that disappears quickly. The final thrust leaves a star in front of her and 3 stars on her path.
|Electric Shock||Sectonia fires black lightning bolts from her right rod in the bottom three directions.|
She will perform this continuously in four locations: center, one side of the stage, the other side of the stage, and back to center. The final round leaves 3 stars.
|Cross Slash||Sectonia transforms her rods into dual rapiers.|
She will then fly to the other planes of the stage and perform a cross slash aimed at Kirby twice. Each slash leaves a star.
|Multithrust||Sectonia transforms her rods into dual rapiers.|
She will then thrust her rapiers rapidly and finish with a cross slash that leaves 2 stars.
|Brightless Ring||Sectonia teleports to the background and summons a spinning ring around her waist.|
First, she tries to cut Kirby with her ring by moving toward him, which can be avoided by ducking at either corner of the floor.
Then, she flies back to the background and throws 3 much bigger rings across the floor, which must be avoided by jumping or dodging.
Interestingly, while King Dedede is lying unconscious in the hall during the Story Mode, he can avoid the Brightless Rings from the queen by lowering his body.
This phase commences when Queen Sectonia has lost one-third of her stamina; she will summon a giant ruby and forcefully throw Kirby or Dedede onto the ruby as the battlefield. This area is smaller than the initial playing field and has gaps on either side, so Kirby or Dedede must be careful not to fall into the bottomless pits.
In this phase, Queen Sectonia has two additional attacks as follows:
|Additional Attacks - Phase 2|
|Ring Shot||Sectonia summons multiple rounds of small rings to throw at Kirby.
|Antler Summon||Sectonia summons several Antlers and disappears from the stage. Sectonia won't come back until all the summoned Antlers are defeated.|
In Story Mode and The Arena, Queen Sectonia always begin with 'Ring Shot' in this phase, and then attacks in a fixed order on loop as follows:
- Antler Summon (2 Red Fire Antlers)
- Electric Shock (sweeps across the stage)
- Antler Summon (4 Blue Ice Antlers)
- Triple Slash
- Ring Shot (from second loop onward)
- Antler Summon (3 Green Electric Antlers)
- Cross Slash (twice like in Phase 1)
This phase begins when Queen Sectonia has lost three-quarters of her stamina; at this point, she will destroy the ruby stage with her rods. If Kirby is hit while Sectonia is smashing the stage, he will take damage and his current Copy Ability will be lost. Kirby must dodge her attack if he wishes to escape unscathed, though simply standing out of the way will suffice. Then, Kirby is thrown back to the hall for the final phase of the battle.
In this phase, Queen Sectonia has an additional attack as follows:
|Additional Attack - Phase 3|
|Teleport Slash||Sectonia teleports several times to create illusions. Then, she appears from behind of Kirby, covers her rapiers with purple aura and performs a quick slash.|
She will perform Teleport Slash four times in a row. The final slash leaves 2 stars.
Notably, Queen Sectonia DX will always perform at least one feint (sometimes two) and then attack Kirby for real afterwards during the final slash.
In Story Mode and The Arena, Queen Sectonia attacks in a fixed order on loop as follows:
- Teleport Slash
- Antler Summon (3 Red Fire Antlers/4 Green Electric Antlers/5 Blue Ice Antlers)
- This time, Sectonia will not wait for their defeat. She can damage or even kill her summoned minions with her own attacks.
- The Antlers will walk off the stage if luckily not killed by Sectonia.
- Any of the following (Sectonia will perform another one of them if the summoned Antlers are still in the stage)
- Silver Rod Shot (5 orbs)
- Electric Shock (sweeps across the stage like in Phase 2)
- Cross Slash (twice like in Phase 1)
- Brightless Ring (directly throws 3 giant rings)
Kirby: Planet Robobot
- Main article: Sectonia Clone
When Sectonia Clone is defeated, she will show her original form (a Taranza-esque character with minor differences in appearance) and explode afterwards.
Kirby Battle Royale
A mask based upon Sectonia's design appears as unlockable Headgear for the Spear ability in Kirby Battle Royale. The spear itself is replaced with one of her rods. It is unlocked after collecting 3000 Battle Coins.
Kirby Star Allies
One of the Stone transformations in Kirby Star Allies depicts both Taranza and the aforementioned Taranza-esque character. This form is presumably Sectonia before becoming the queen. A black version of Queen Sectonia also makes an appearance when Taranza uses one of his moves, Queen's Phantom, where she blasts the stage with lightning. Taranza also appears sad when he uses this move, possibly due to her death. This model is the exact same as her appearance in Kirby: Triple Deluxe, only with higher-quality textures. She also makes cameo appearances in the Celebration Pictures "A Miracle Sent to the Skies", "Rockabilly And Blues" and "Bad Boss Brothers".
Super Kirby Clash
|A lovely mask associated with a ravishing queen. Supposedly resembles an associate of hers from before she attained her great beauty.|
— Sectonia Mask description from Super Kirby Clash
|A glass modeled after the queen who once ruled the people of the sky. Her obsession with her own beauty was magnified by a certain mirror to a tragic end.|
— Sectonia Flask description from Super Kirby Clash
A mask based on Sectonia appears as the Level 14 rarity gear for Doctor Healmore in Super Kirby Clash, along with a corresponding flask in her likeness. The mask adds +213 to Stamina, +30 to Team Meteor, +7 to Material Gain and +40 to Recovery; the flask adds +166 to Attack, +30 to Team Meteor, +7 to Material Gain and +40 to Recovery.
Kirby Fighters 2
A Rare Outfit for Parasol Kirby is based on her.
Super Smash Bros. series
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
A primary spirit is devoted to Queen Sectonia in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. She is ★★★, grab-type, and carries two support slots. She can be obtained by summoning her with the spirits or cores of Zinger and Princess Shroob.
- Main article: Sullied Grace
Queen Sectonia's battle theme is "Sullied Grace". This track features organ (in both sections) and electric guitar (in Section 2, which is looped for the rest of the track in gameplay).
|Kirby: Triple Deluxe||Queen Sectonia|
The evil queen who bewitched Taranza is motivated by beauty and world domination. She seized control of Floralia and oppressed the People of the Sky with her cruelty. It's time to face the true mastermind behind the curtain!
- Queen Sectonia is voiced by Makiko Ohmoto, the same voice actress of Kirby.
- Queen Sectonia appears to be in possession of the Dimension Mirror from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, which is summoned upon her defeat in Dededetour!. It was stated on Miiverse that Taranza got it for her as a gift, though he was unaware of its enchantment, and that gazing into it for too long resulted in her corruption, as her vanity got the best of her. This is also mentioned in the description of the Sectonia Flask in Super Kirby Clash.
- It was also stated on Miiverse that Sectonia originally resembled her insect-like subjects, but used magic to make herself more beautiful. This is supported by the Taranza-like figure seen in Kirby: Planet Robobot and Kirby Star Allies, which appears to be her original form.
- Flavor text suggests that her transformation was supported through parasitic methods: Soul of Sectonia's Special Page in her second phase states that she "has fed off of countless hosts", and the flavor text for the Sectonia Mask in Super Kirby Clash mentions that the mask resembles an associate of hers. Additionally, in Kirby: Planet Robobot, Sectonia Clone's Special Page says that her DNA contains elements of creatures spanning a period of 1,000 years.
- Sectonia's name is derived from "insect" and "near", to suggest that she is almost an insect, but not quite.
Names in other languages
|French||Reine Sectonia||Queen Sectonia|
|German||Königin Sectonia||Queen Sectonia|
- "Data was collected from traces of a giant flower the invaders stumbled upon. Cloning it produced the insect queen. Its data contains elements of creatures spanning a period of 1,000 years." —Sectonia Clone pause screen description (Kirby: Planet Robobot)
- firubii on Twitter
- "Sadly, it was gazing into the mirror day after day that led to her mind being twisted towards tyranny by its power" —Satoshi Ishida (Miiverse post (archived))
- "A glass modeled after the queen who once ruled the people of the sky. Her obsession with her own beauty was magnified by a certain mirror to a tragic end." —Sectonia Flask description (Super Kirby Clash)
- "Queen Sectonia is a mistress of manipulative magic. Once upon a time, she looked similar to her insectoid underlings, but her current beautiful yet deadly bee-like form is a body that she took over through the use of her magic. I wonder how the minions who knew her before felt, serving a mistress who changes her appearance like that? I think that stopping at nothing to sit on the throne, even going so far as to discard one’s true form, is one of the traits that makes a true final boss." —Satoshi Ishida (Miiverse post (archived))
- "A lovely mask associated with a ravishing queen. Supposedly resembles an associate of hers from before she attained her great beauty." —Sectonia Mask description (Super Kirby Clash)
- "That such a royal being would be called a queen goes without saying, but what about the name ‘Sectonia’? We created this name by combining two English words – ‘insect’ and ‘near’ – to create the idea of a being that is almost an insect, but not quite. The ending ‘nia’ also has quite a regal and feminine ring to it." —Satoshi Ishida (Miiverse post (archived))