|The evil queen who bewitched Taranza is motivated by beauty and world domination. She seized control of Floralia and oppressed the People of the Sky with her cruelty. It's time to face the true mastermind behind the curtain!|
— VS Queen Sectonia, Special Page in Kirby: Triple Deluxe
|Sectonia and Taranza were once good friends, but Sectonia became obsessed with vanity and delusions of grandeur. It wasn't long before her heart went evil, turning her into the power-hungry monarch she is today.|
— VS Queen Sectonia DX, Special Page in Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Queen Sectonia is the primary antagonist of Kirby: Triple Deluxe, making her debut as the penultimate boss of that game and returning as a projection Taranza can summon in one of his moves as a Dream Friend in Kirby Star Allies. She first appears in-game after Kirby beats Taranza, who was the queen's loyal servant. Queen Sectonia is a power-hungry and half-crazed tyrant who sought to control all of Floralia. She has two alternate forms, battled after her main form is defeated, in Queen Sectonia and Soul of Sectonia.
Queen Sectonia is a lavishly decorated character who resembles a wasp. She bears a primarily blue and yellow-striped face and body, with a pink heart on her thorax. She bears four golden translucent wings, a wide regal crest, a gaudy gem-encrusted crown, and dual silver magic rods as her weapons, which she carries with two disembodied hands. Queen Sectonia has no trouble flying, and typically hovers off the ground. She is also capable of teleporting short distances, leaving blurry disorienting images of herself as she does so.
Queen Sectonia is a tad shallow in demeanor, with her only motivation seeming to be amassing more power. She has a bad habit of cackling incessantly while she fights.
Long before the events of Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Sectonia and Taranza were once good friends living in Floralia. Sectonia used to be a kind and benevolent ruler; however, this changed when Taranza gifted her the Dimension Mirror. Both unaware of its powers, the mirror's influence caused Sectonia to become self-obsessed and tyrannical. She used magic to make herself appear more beautiful, and began to feed off of other species as a parasitic host. To ensure that nobody would challenge her rule, she imprisoned the People of the Sky and built an army of magically created minions to guard her palace. In a last-ditch effort to save themselves, the People of the Sky devised a seed and sent it tumbling toward the land below, which so happened to be Dream Land. This seed was designed to grow into the Dreamstalk, and bring the hero of Dream Land up to Floralia to save its people. Seeing this, Queen Sectonia ordered Taranza to go down there and preemptively kidnap the hero so they would not be a threat. Unfortunately, Taranza mistook King Dedede for the hero and took him instead, leaving Kirby to give chase.
Once Kirby defeats Taranza and Masked Dedede in the throne room of Royal Road, the highest land of Floralia, Queen Sectonia appears after Taranza calls for her. Angered by his failure, the queen swats Taranza aside, then proceeds to confirm Kirby's identity as the hero of Dream Land. After a somewhat lengthy and convoluted speech about obtaining ultimate power and beauty, she does battle with Kirby directly. However, even given her magical potency, she falls to the pink warrior.
- Main article: Queen Sectonia (second form)
In a last-ditch attempt to defeat Kirby, Sectonia merges with the Dreamstalk. She nearly defeats Kirby in this form, but King Dedede and Taranza (after a change of heart) team up to save him. At the end of the fight, Kirby assumes Hypernova form and destroys Queen Sectonia by blasting her with her own power beam, thus freeing the Kingdom of Floralia.
- Main article: Soul of Sectonia
In The True Arena, this fight plays out slightly differently. After being destroyed by the power beam, Queen Sectonia uses the last of her strength to consume four Miracle Fruits, transforming into Soul of Sectonia. She then fights Kirby one more time, with maximum power. Once she is defeated in this form, she is (finally) destroyed for good.
Queen Sectonia fights with her dual silver magic rods. The left rod has a green crystal while the right one has a magenta crystal. She can cast spells with her rods and transform them into dual rapiers for melee combat. She also teleports constantly between attacks, similar to Nightmare, Marx and Magolor.
The following attack names are taken from the Japanese guide book.
In Phase 1, Queen Sectonia fights in the hall of her palace.
Queen Sectonia attacks in a fixed order on loop in Story Mode and The Arena as follows:
|Attacks - Phase 1|
|Silver Rod Shot||Sectonia fires 3 purple orbs from her left rod aimed at Kirby. Each orb leaves a Recoil Star on impact.|
|Triple Slash||Sectonia transforms her rods into dual rapiers.|
She will then perform a left slash, a right slash, and finish with a thrust.
Each of the first two slashes leaves a star that disappears quickly. The final thrust leaves a star in front of her and 3 stars on her path.
|Electric Shock||Sectonia fires black lightning bolts from her right rod in the bottom three directions.|
She will perform this continuously in four locations: center, one side of the stage, the other side of the stage, and back to center. The final round leaves 3 stars.
|Cross Slash||Sectonia transforms her rods into dual rapiers.|
She will then fly to the other planes of the stage and perform a cross slash aimed at Kirby twice. Each slash leaves a star.
|Multithrust||Sectonia transforms her rods into dual rapiers.|
She will then thrust her rapiers rapidly and finish with a cross slash that leaves 2 stars.
|Brightless Ring||Sectonia teleports to the background and summons a spinning ring around her waist.|
First, she tries to cut Kirby with her ring by moving toward him, which can be avoided by ducking at either corner of the floor.
Then, she flies back to the background and throws 3 much bigger rings across the floor, which must be avoided by jumping or dodging.
Interestingly, while King Dedede is lying unconscious in the hall during the Story Mode, he can avoid the Brightless Rings from the queen by lowering his body.
This phase is commenced when Queen Sectonia has lost one-third of her stamina; she will summon a giant ruby and forcefully throw Kirby onto the ruby stage for the Phase 2 battle.
The ruby stage only floats in the middle so Kirby may fall over on either side and lose his life.
In this phase, Queen Sectonia has two additional attacks as follows:
|Additional Attacks - Phase 2|
|Ring Shot||Sectonia summons multiple rounds of small rings to throw at Kirby.
|Antler Summon||Sectonia summons several Antlers and disappears from the stage. Sectonia won't come back until all the summoned Antlers are defeated.|
In Story Mode and The Arena, Queen Sectonia always begin with 'Ring Shot' in this phase, and then attacks in a fixed order on loop as follows:
- Antler Summon (2 Red Fire Antlers)
- Electric Shock (sweeps across the stage)
- Antler Summon (4 Blue Ice Antlers)
- Triple Slash
- Ring Shot (from second loop onward)
- Antler Summon (3 Green Electric Antlers)
- Cross Slash (twice like in Phase 1)
This phase begins when Queen Sectonia has lost three-quarters of her stamina; at this point, she will destroy the ruby stage with her rods.
If Kirby is hit (even including simply standing on the stage) while Sectonia is smashing the stage, his Copy Ability will be permanently depleted. Therefore, Kirby must hover to dodge her smash and keep his ability.
Then, Kirby is thrown back to the hall for the final phase of the battle.
In this phase, Queen Sectonia has an additional attack as follows:
|Additional Attack - Phase 3|
|Teleport Slash||Sectonia teleports several times to create illusions. Then, she appears from behind of Kirby, covers her rapiers with purple aura and performs a quick slash.|
She will perform Teleport Slash four times in a row. The final slash leaves 2 stars.
Notably, Queen Sectonia DX will always perform a feint and then attack Kirby for real on the other side during the final slash.
In Story Mode and The Arena, Queen Sectonia attacks in a fixed order on loop as follows:
- Teleport Slash
- Antler Summon (3 Red Fire Antlers/4 Green Electric Antlers/5 Blue Ice Antlers)
- This time, Sectonia will not wait for their defeat. She can damage or even kill her summoned minions with her own attacks.
- The Antlers will walk off the stage if luckily not killed by Sectonia.
- Any of the following (Sectonia will perform another one of them if the summoned Antlers are still in the stage)
- Silver Rod Shot (5 orbs)
- Electric Shock (sweeps across the stage like in Phase 2)
- Cross Slash (twice like in Phase 1)
- Brightless Ring (directly throws 3 giant rings)
- Main article: Sullied Grace
Queen Sectonia's battle theme is Sullied Grace (titled Dirty&Beauty in the Japanese soundtrack). This track features organ (in both sections) and electric guitar (in Section 2, which is looped for the rest of the track in gameplay).
Queen Sectonia has made multiple cameo appearances in later Kirby games, though due to her presumed death, none have her physically appear.
- A clone of Sectonia appears in Meta Knightmare Returns the Sub-Game from Kirby: Planet Robobot. This clone is the second of three Bosses which Star Dream uses to test its new admin.
- When Sectonia Clone is defeated, she will show her original form (a Taranza-esque character with minor differences in appearance) and explode afterwards.
- A mask based upon Sectonia's design appears as unlockable Headgear for the Spear ability in Kirby Battle Royale. The spear itself is replaced with one of her rods.
- One of the Stone transformations in Kirby Star Allies depicts both Taranza and the aforementioned Taranza-esque character. This form is presumably Sectonia before becoming the queen.
- Queen Sectonia also makes an appearance when Taranza uses one of his moves, Queen's Phantom, where she blasts the stage with lightning. Taranza also appears sad when he uses this move, possibly due to her death. This model is the exact same as her appearance in Triple Deluxe, only with higher-quality textures.
- Another mask based on Sectonia—of different design from the Battle Royale mask—appears as the Level 14 rarity gear for Doctor Healmore in Super Kirby Clash, along with a corresponding flask in her likeness.
- A primary spirit is devoted to Queen Sectonia in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. She is ★★★, grab-type, and carries two support slots. She can be obtained by summoning her with the spirits or cores of Zinger and Princess Shroob.
- Queen Sectonia is voiced by Makiko Ohmoto, the same voice actress of Kirby.
- Queen Sectonia appears to be in possession of the Dimension Mirror from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, which is summoned upon her defeat in Dededetour!. It was stated on Miiverse that Taranza got it for her as a gift, though he was unaware of its enchantment, and that gazing into it for too long resulted in her corruption, as her vanity got the best of her. This is also mentioned in the description of the Sectonia Flask in Super Kirby Clash.
- It was also stated on Miiverse that Sectonia originally resembled her insect-like subjects, but used magic to make herself more beautiful. This is supported by the Taranza-like figure seen in Planet Robobot and Star Allies, which appears to be her original form.
- Flavor text suggests that her transformation was supported through parasitic methods: Soul of Sectonia's Special Page in her second phase states that she "has fed off of countless hosts", and the flavor text for the Sectonia Mask in Super Kirby Clash mentions that the mask resembles an associate of hers. Additionally, in Planet Robobot, Sectonia Clone's Special Page says that her DNA contains elements of creatures spanning a period of 1,000 years.
- Sectonia's name is derived from "insect" and "near", to suggest that she is almost an insect, but not quite.
Names in other languages
Derived from English words "insect" and "near"