- This article is about a healing item found in most Kirby games, and should not be confused with the Metamato from Kirby's (Extra) Epic Yarn.
Maxim Tomatoes, also known as Tomatoes and originally named Bag of Magic Food, are recurring items in the Kirby series, although rather uncommonly found in individual games. The Maxim Tomato is a tomato-like food that restores Kirby's health meter entirely or, in Kirby Mass Attack, a full Fruit Gauge. This item is usually found in easily missed hiding places, areas that are difficult to traverse to, or areas that can only be reached with certain Copy Abilities; much more so in difficult levels. Often end level challenges will reward Kirby with a Maxim Tomato.
The term maxim is obviously a shortened form of maximum, even though there are other uses of the word, such as a synonym for the word axiom, both of which are loosely defined as "statements which are obviously true".
According to several sources, Maxim Tomatoes are Kirby's favorite food.
- 1 Game appearances
- 2 Profiles
- 3 Gallery
- 4 Names in other languages
- 5 References
Super Smash Bros. series
In the Super Smash Bros. series, the Maxim Tomato is a recovery item, healing fifty points of damage. It is the second best recovery item, surpassed by the Heart Container.
Kirby Super Star
- Wii U Virtual Console manual bio: "Fully recovers health."
Kirby Air Ride
- North American instruction booklet bio (page 27): "Restores Damage[sic] to 100%."
Kirby: Canvas Curse
- Manual bio (page 17): "Get this to replenish all of Kirby's vitality."
Kirby: Squeak Squad
- Manual bio (page 23): "This restores Kirby’s life gauge to full."
Kirby Super Star Ultra
- Manual bio (page 21): "Recovers all health."
Kirby Mass Attack
- North American manual bio (page 15): "Fills your gauge to 100."
- European manual bio (page 15): "Adds 100 points to your fruit gauge."
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
- Wii U manual bio: "Restores a character to full health."
Super Smash Bros. Melee trophy
"Maxim Tomatoes cure 50 percentage points of your accumulated damage. Once you eat one, after a brief moment, your damage meter slowly drains the appropriate amount, regardless of whether or not you pick up another item right afterwards. In the Kirby series, these juicy, health-restoring items were a favorite of the pink hero."
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS / Wii U trophy
"A tomato marked with a large, black M. This is Kirby's favorite snack, and in the past it has fully restored Kirby's health. The ones that show up in Smash Bros. aren't from the same crop, though, and only heal 50 points of damage. That'll still help you in a fight—unless an enemy eats it first."
Names in other languages
M fān qié
|Italian||Pomodoro Maxim||Maxim Tomato|
|Spanish||Maxi Tomate||Maxim Tomato|