- This article is about a healing item found in most Kirby games, and should not be confused with the Metamato from Kirby's (Extra) Epic Yarn.
Maxim Tomatoes (Mistranslated in the American manual of Kirby's Dream Land as "Bag of Magic food") are commonly seen items in the Kirby series, although rather uncommonly found in individual games. The Maxim Tomato is a tomato-like food that grants Kirby a complete health meter refill or, in the case of Kirby Mass Attack, a full Fruit Gauge. This item is usually found in easily missed hiding places, areas that are difficult to traverse to, or areas that can only be reached with certain Copy Abilities; much more so in difficult levels. Often end level challenges will reward Kirby with a Maxim Tomato.
The term maxim is obviously a shortened form of maximum. Even though, there are other uses of the word, such as a synonym for the word axiom, both of which are loosely defined as "statements which are obviously true".
According to several sources, Maxim Tomatoes are Kirby's favorite food, which explains why it restores all of his Vitality.
Super Smash Bros. series
In the Super Smash Bros. series, the Maxim Tomato is a recovery item, healing fifty points of damage. It is the second best recovery item, surpassed by the Heart Container.
Kirby Super Star
- Wii U Virtual Console manual bio: "Fully recovers health."
Super Smash Bros. Melee trophy
"Maxim Tomatoes cure 50 percentage points of your accumulated damage. Once you eat one, after a brief moment, your damage meter slowly drains the appropriate amount, regardless of whether or not you pick up another item right afterwards. In the Kirby series, these juicy, health-restoring items were a favorite of the pink hero."
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS / Wii U trophy
"A tomato marked with a large, black M. This is Kirby's favorite snack, and in the past it has fully restored Kirby's health. The ones that show up in Smash Bros. aren't from the same crop, though, and only heal 50 points of damage. That'll still help you in a fight—unless an enemy eats it first."
Names in other languages
M fān qié
|Italian||Pomodoro Maxim||Maxim Tomato|
|Spanish||Maxi Tomate||Maxim Tomato|
- "Recovers all health." (Kirby Super Star Ultra manual, pg. 20)
- "Get this to replenish all of Kirby's vitality." (Kirby Canvas Curse manual, pg. 17)
- "This restores Kirby's life gauge to full capacity." (Kirby: Squeak Squad manual, pg. 23)
- "Fills your gauge to 100." (Kirby Mass Attack manual, pg. 15)
- Maxim at Wiktionary
- From Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Not mentioned in Kirby Star Allies. Was translated as 大番茄 (dà fān qié, "Big Tomato") in the iQue version of Super Smash Bros.