From WiKirby, your independent source of Kirby knowledge.
Paint Roller is a main boss in Kirby's Adventure, its remake Nightmare in Dream Land, and Kirby's Avalanche. He is an artist like Ado, Adeleine, and Vividria are, and the four can make their creations come to life. Apart from his major appearances, Paint Roller is featured in a Canvas Curse sub-game and an episode of the anime, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!.
Paint Roller appears as an orange, spherical creature with long, thin arms and legs. It wears red roller skates (hence his name), a baseball cap, and a pair of gloves on his hands. Paint Roller has five fingers, and his face only consists of big, round eyes and pink cheeks. His paintbrush looks dubiously like a marker.
Kirby's Adventure/Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Paint Roller painting an object to attack Kirby with in Nightmare in Dream Land
In Kirby's Adventure, and its remake, Nightmare in Dream Land, Paint Roller is the boss of Ice Cream Island.
Paint Roller is battled in a two-floored room. The upper floor is divided into two platforms, and has a gap that Paint Roller and Kirby can go through. There are four painter canvases, each located at one of the room's corners. In Nightmare in Dream Land, the room is slightly larger and the scenery was altered, sports a rainbow.
During the battle, Paint Roller sprints to a canvas and paints an image that comes to life. The object begins to chase Kirby. Paint Roller moves on to the next canvas. Paint Roller randomly decides on a canvas and painting every time. The canvases that Paint Roller draws on during his battle are chosen at random.
To attack Paint Roller, Kirby can inhale the object, obtain its Copy Ability, and attack Paint Roller with it. Alternatively, Kirby can spit the object back out at Paint Roller. Without the assistance of a Copy Ability, Kirby must hit Paint Roller six times to defeat him. After Paint Roller is defeated, Kirby can obtain the next Star Rod piece.
Paint Roller may paint one of eight images. Each one provides a Copy Ability except for the Waddle Dee and Kirby duplicate:
- Waddle Dee: Runs in Kirby's direction. Like its real counterpart, it does not give an ability if it is swallowed.
- Cloud: Floats around the stage, and shoots lightning. It gives Spark ability if swallowed.
- Car: Drives at a high speed, trying to crash into Kirby. It gives Wheel ability if swallowed.
- Baseball: Flies directly at Kirby. It gives Ball ability if swallowed.
- Painted Parasol: Follows Kirby, and then explodes. It gives Parasol ability if swallowed.
- Bomb: Explodes after a fixed amount of time. It gives Crash ability if swallowed, which can immediately defeat Paint Roller.
- Microphone: A microphone that walks around. It gives Mike ability if swallowed.
- Kirby: Sometimes, Paint Roller will paint a duplicate of Kirby. It acts the same as a Waddle Dee, and does not give an ability.
Paint Roller makes his next appearance in Kirby's Avalanche, which portrays him, again, as a boss. Before his battle, Paint Roller offers to paint Kirby "a lovely portrait... ...of [him] losing to [Paint Roller]" and then laughs. It is revealed that Paint Roller is an art student, indicated by Kirby's dialogue with him ("Paint Roller, you are the meanest art student I've ever met!"). His name appears as "PAIN" while facing Kirby.
- Paint Roller: "Let me draw a lovely portrait..."
- Kirby: "Aw, how sweet..."
- Paint Roller: "Of you losing to me!"
- Kirby: "Paint Roller, you are the meanest art student I've ever met!"
- Paint Roller: "Student? Ha! I am the MASTER!"
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Appearing in Kirby: Canvas Curse, Paint Roller is a boss during the mini-game Paint Panic. He paints outlines of objects, which Kirby must redraw in a connect-the-dots fashion. If Kirby is too slow, however, the Bombers that follow him catch up with him and explode. If Kirby reaches the end, he must activate a self-destruct code, defeating Paint Roller.
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Paint Roller makes a cameo in Kirby Super Star Ultra, as one of the cards in the Card Swipe sub-game.
Paint Roller appears in the Kirby: Right Back at Ya! episode "Dedede's Monsterpiece", where it steals various portraits from the art academy (Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Botticelli, etc.) to recreate them into looking like Dedede and Escargoon. Paint Roller is defeated when Kirby becomes Paint Kirby.
Kirby's Adventure artwork
Nightmare in Dream Land sprite of Paint Roller and his drawings
Kirby: Canvas Curse sprite