Paint Roller is a main boss in Kirby's Adventure, its remake Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, and Kirby's Avalanche. He is an artist on roller skates whose creations can come to life. Apart from his major appearances, Paint Roller is featured in a Kirby: Canvas Curse sub-game and an episode of the anime, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!.
Paint Roller appears as an orange, spherical creature with long, thin arms and legs. He wears red roller skates (hence his name), a baseball cap, and a pair of gloves on his hands. Paint Roller has five fingers, and his face only consists of big, round eyes and pink cheeks. He wields an oil pastel as his primary artistic utensil.
|Paint Roller's video game appearances|
|Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land||Boss||As this is a remake of Kirby's Adventure, his role doesn't change.|
|Kirby: Canvas Curse||Boss||Appears only in Paint Panic.|
|Kirby Super Star Ultra||Reference||Appears in one of the cards in Kirby Card Swipe.|
Kirby's Adventure / Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Paint Roller is battled in a two-floored room. The upper floor is divided into two platforms, and has a gap that Paint Roller and Kirby can go through. There are four canvases, each located at one of the room's corners. In Nightmare in Dream Land, the room is slightly larger and the scenery was altered, now sporting a rainbow.
During the battle, Paint Roller sprints to a canvas and paints an image that comes to life. The object begins to chase Kirby. Paint Roller moves on to the next canvas. Paint Roller randomly decides on a canvas and painting every time.
To defeat Paint Roller, Kirby can inhale the object, obtain its Copy Ability, and attack Paint Roller with it. Alternatively, Kirby can spit the object back out at Paint Roller. Without the assistance of a Copy Ability, Kirby must hit Paint Roller six times to defeat him. After Paint Roller is defeated, Kirby can obtain the second Star Rod piece.
Paint Roller may paint one of eight images:
- Waddle Dee: Runs in Kirby's direction. Like its real counterpart, it does not give an ability if it is swallowed.
- Cloud: Floats around the stage, and shoots lightning. It gives the Spark ability if swallowed.
- Car: Drives at a high speed, trying to crash into Kirby. It gives the Wheel ability if swallowed.
- Baseball: Flies directly at Kirby. It gives the Ball ability if swallowed.
- Parasol: Follows Kirby, and then explodes. It gives the Parasol ability if swallowed.
- Bomb: Explodes after a fixed amount of time. It gives the Crash ability if swallowed, which can immediately defeat Paint Roller.
- Microphone: A microphone that walks around. It gives the Mike ability if swallowed.
- Kirby: Sometimes, Paint Roller will paint a duplicate of Kirby. It acts the same as a Waddle Dee, and does not give an ability.
|Don't let this boss paint you into a corner. Once he's got you down, there will be no escape.|
— Kirby's Avalanche Instruction Booklet (North American print), page 23
Paint Roller makes his next appearance in Kirby's Avalanche, where he is the 11th opponent faced in Competition mode. Before his battle, Paint Roller offers to paint Kirby "a lovely portrait... of [him] losing" and then laughs. It is revealed that Paint Roller is an art student, indicated by Kirby's dialogue with him. His name appears as "PAIN" while facing Kirby. His equivalent in the Puyo Puyo series is Witch.
- Paint Roller: "Let me paint you a lovely portrait..."
- Kirby: "Oh, how sweet of yo-"
- Paint Roller: "...of you losing to me, HA HA HA!"
- Kirby: "Paint Roller, you are the meanest art student I've ever met."
- Paint Roller: "Student? Ha! I am the MASTER!!"
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Appearing in Kirby: Canvas Curse, Paint Roller is a boss during the mini-game Paint Panic. He paints outlines of objects, which Kirby must redraw in a connect-the-dots fashion. If Kirby is too slow, however, the Bombers that follow him catch up with him and explode. If Kirby reaches the end, he must activate a self-destruct code, defeating Paint Roller.
Kirby Super Star Ultra
In Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
|This is our friend Paint Roller! You'll find he's pretty handy with the paintbrush!|
— N.M.E. Sales Guy, in Dedede's Monsterpiece
Paint Roller appears as one of Night Mare Enterprises' monsters in the Kirby: Right Back at Ya! episode Dedede's Monsterpiece, where he vandalizes various famous paintings displayed in the Royal Acadddemy of Arts on King Dedede's orders to make them "more his style". After remembering that the paintings were supposed to be returned intact, King Dedede stops Paint Roller and has him paint a portrait of Dedede instead. However, this portrait ends up coming to life and antagonizing King Dedede and the other museum guests before Meta Knight shows up to destroy it with a burning torch.
As this is happening, Paint Roller starts painting a giant bomb threatening to blow everyone up. Kirby is sent to stop him, and ends up inhaling Paint Roller's paintbrush to gain the Paint Copy Ability. Using this ability, Kirby tries to chase Paint Roller down and avoids more of his attacks using painted objects. Eventually, Kirby paints a rocket and points it at Paint Roller, blowing the monster up along with the museum.
Paint Roller emerges from the Night Mare Enterprises Teleporter.
- Paint Roller's name is a pun on the artistic utensil, the paint roller.
- Paint Roller can be seen as the first in a line of various artistic characters whose creations come to life: Ado, Adeleine, Drawcia, Paintra, Elline, and Claycia. Fittingly, he appears in Kirby: Canvas Curse alongside Drawcia herself.
Names in other languages
|German||Paint Roller||Paint Roller|