|Hi there! My name is Magolor. I'm from another dimension, but I just love Planet Popstar. I can't get enough of it! Things got a bit hectic when I first arrived, but that's all in the past, thanks to Kirby.|
— Magolor's opening dialogue from New Challenge Stages in Kirby's Dream Collection
Magolor, sometimes spelled Magalor, is a major character in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and the host of the New Challenge Stages section of Kirby's Dream Collection. He is also the shopkeeper in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and in Super Kirby Clash, and appears as a playable Dream Friend in Kirby Star Allies. Magolor hails from Halcandra and commands the Lor Starcutter.
- 1 Physical Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Game Appearances
- 3.1 Kirby's Return to Dream Land
- 3.2 Kirby's Dream Collection
- 3.3 Kirby: Triple Deluxe
- 3.4 Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe
- 3.5 Kirby: Planet Robobot
- 3.6 Team Kirby Clash Deluxe/Super Kirby Clash
- 3.7 Kirby Star Allies
- 3.8 Super Smash Bros. series
- 4 Music
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Video Walkthrough
- 8 Names in other languages
- 9 References
Magolor is a small, ellipsoid being who possesses disembodied hands, but no feet and can float freely in the air. His face consists merely of two yellow eyes (the rest presumably being covered up by his face mask), and he wears a blue cloak with a white cape (with yellow accent) and pointed ears on the hood. His face mask resembles a belt with a buckle and goes over his hood and cloak. Additionally, the rim of his hood as well as the pattern on his body resembles a gear, perhaps in reference to the Egg Engines stage of Halcandra.
There does not appear to be a limit to how high Magolor can float off the ground, but he still prefers to hover only a few inches above it at most times.
Magolor is shown to be pretty clever, able to feign grief and joy in order to get people to do what he wants. He is often melodramatic, and even when he is trying to act evil and intimidating (as seen after his transformation), he usually can't get the emotion right. He does, however, appear to have an ego about him, and is obsessed with challenges, particularly races. He often gloats when he is in the lead, which usually leads to him slowing down and getting passed up, to which he will then get angry and speed up. If he wins a race, he gloats endlessly, but if he loses, he sulks.
Magolor isn't entirely without good qualities though. He seems only to get caught up in his scheme to take over planet Popstar. After being defeated by Kirby and friends, he seems to have learned his lesson. To make up for his bad deeds, he offers to build Kirby some new challenge courses in New Challenge Stages. In the same game, he seems to have a friendly rivalry with Kirby, as seen during the races with him.
Magolor appears to be a skilled technician and wizard, as he claims that upon initially excavating the Lor from Halcandra, it was in bad shape, and he had to repair it. His building and summoning skills are also apparent in New Challenge Stages, as he was the one who built all the courses that Kirby played through, as well as summoning myriad foes during the races. His industriousness is also on display when he sets up a Gem Apple cart in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe.
Outside of the video game series proper, Magolor is often used as a representative for news on Kirby series titles, mainly for Team Kirby Clash Deluxe. Occasionally he interacts with other characters, such as The Three Mage-Sisters, who he appears to have a rocky relationship with. Magolor is also often depicted in artwork associating with Marx, who shares a similar role and personality with him.
In the Japanese version of games, Magolor speaks with some foreign accent as many words are deliberately written in katakana.
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
In the first cutscene of the game, Magolor crashes the Lor Starcutter in Pop Star in a somewhat flashy sequence, shedding and scattering its five major parts as well as many Energy Spheres in the process. Witness to this crash are Kirby, and his friends Bandana Waddle Dee, Meta Knight, and King Dedede, who immediately run to the crash site. Upon arriving at the site, a door appears on the side of the ship to let the group in to find Magolor unconscious on the floor of the main deck. Magolor quickly springs to and rushes to the ship's console to check on the ship's status. After seeing the ship's parts and spheres gone, he sulks, which stirs Kirby to offer him help. An ecstatic Magolor points Kirby and his group toward the location of each part and they set off to recover them.
No dialogue is spoken during the game's introductory cutscene, but throughout the game's breadth, Magolor does elaborate that he will reward Kirby and his friends with a trip to his homeworld, Halcandra once all the ship parts have been retrieved. Additionally, as more Energy Spheres are collected, more rooms of the ship are made available, such as the Challenge Stages, Copy Ability Rooms, and the two minigames Ninja Dojo and Scope Shot.
Once all five ship parts are returned, the Lor becomes operational once again and, just as promised, Magolor takes the party to Halcandra in the next major cutscene. Although stated many times that Halcandra is "REALLY far away", the ship gets them there almost immediately using the Lor's warp capabilities. Unfortunately, as soon as they arrive, a large 4-headed dragon known as Landia spots the Lor coming and shoots it down with fireballs. Thankfully, this time the ship remains intact, but in much the same way as before, the crew is knocked unconscious, and when Magolor comes to, he brings up Landia on the ship's console to a superfluously large number of warning signs and meters. To this, Magolor once again sulks, and Kirby once again reassures him and offers to take down the dragon.
After Kirby and his friends defeat Landia, the crown it was wearing on its top-most head falls to the ground. Magolor, (who seems to appear out of nowhere) comes in slowly, clapping in a sarcastic manner, and grabs the crown. He appraises it for a moment, then dons it, revealing it to be the object he had been looking to obtain this entire time, the "source of limitless power" the Master Crown. Doing so morphs him into a different, much larger and more menacing form (including white gloves with energy circles, covered mouth, and gigantic clown-like hat) and explains: he had initially lost the battle with Landia, which led to him crashing on Pop Star and, seeing Kirby and his friends, decided to use them as unwitting pawns to defeat Landia for him. He thanks Kirby and his friends for clearing the way, and proclaims that their reward will be to watch as he conquers the entire universe, starting with Pop Star. Magolor opens up a wormhole, and travels into Another Dimension to initiate his plans, leaving Kirby and his friends stranded on Halcandra, utterly dumbfounded. At this point, Landia comes up from behind and offers to help them pursue Magolor and stop him. They each get on Landia's back and fly through the still-open wormhole that Magolor left behind, leading to the final stage of the game.
|Anyway... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The time has come for your planet... No! The time has come for the ENTIRE UNIVERSE to bow down to me. And for being such a big help in all of this, your planet gets to go first! Prepare to bow, Popstar! Welcome your new overlord!|
— Magolor in Kirby's Return to Dream Land
There is an easter egg foreshadowing his betrayal. The alliterative first letter of every level's name (shown in bold), from Cookie Country to Dangerous Dinner, spelled out in order, is CROWNED. Magolor Soul's Theme is named that as well. In addition, when Kirby has collected all 120 Energy Spheres and talk to Magolor in the Lor Starcutter in Extra Mode, he may have one of the following conversations (he doesn't reveal as much in Main Mode):
- Magolor will explain the origin of the Lor (claiming he excavated it, which is a lie) and the power of the Master Crown, and urge Kirby to defeat Landia so he can get the crown to rule the universe.
- Magolor will mention he knew about Kirby long before they met. He will also claim he knows somebody who knows Kirby very well. Ironically, he will say "Nothing good comes of fighting" in the end.
- This article is about The first phase of the boss fight with Magolor. For the second phase that emerges after the Ultra Sword swing, see Magolor Soul.
|Magolor deceived Kirby and stole Halcandra's legendary treasure, the Master Crown! It's up to Kirby to save the universe.|
— VS Magolor Special Page, Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Once they catch up to where Magolor has gone, he summons the Lor Starcutter to do battle with them, ironically using each of the parts that were recovered to do various attacks. After the Lor is shot down, Magolor makes his getaway, and the team pursues Magolor himself, who proceeds to knock each one of them out of the air. On the ground, Kirby and his friends then must fight Magolor hand-to-hand in his souped-up form. During this fight, Magolor demonstrates the Master Crown's power with a variety of unending magical attacks, including throwing spheres of dark energy and opening rifts to try and suck Kirby into a realm of pain, even resorting to create a star-shaped Super Shield when his health is nearly depleted. Kirby has to break through the shield by using his various Super Abilities, then finish Magolor off with the Ultra Sword.
Unfortunately, even this is not enough, as the Master Crown pulses, reincarnates, and takes control of Magolor into an even larger ghostly-looking form known as Magolor Soul and they must fight again. Magolor Soul opens up by immediately dispelling Kirby's Ultra Sword ability, and then displays even more ludicrously powerful attacks, including his own versions of the Super Abilities that Kirby had been using throughout the game. Once Magolor Soul is defeated, he finally dispels slowly and reverts to Magolor's original form. The Master Crown levitates off his head and shatters, leaving Magolor to warp inward and disintegrate, ending his role in the game's storyline.
It is shown later on that this did not actually end up killing him, and he seems to have lightened up without the Master Crown's influence or allure, as he is seen in the audience celebrating the player's 100% Completion in the Kirby Master video.
The following lists all of Magolor's attacks for the first two phases in the Main Game of Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Attacks in italics are used in the second phase of the fight only.
|Attacks - Main Game|
|Some attack names listed are conjectural.|
|Magolor stole the Master Crown and the Lor from their sacred resting places on Halcandra. He's a liar and a wizard... Defeat him!|
— VS Magolor EX Special Page, Kirby's Return to Dream Land
In Extra Mode, Magolor attacks more fervently, and most of his moves have new colors and visual effects, but his move-set is largely the same:
|Attacks - Extra Mode|
|Magic Spheres EX|
|Deadly Needles EX|
|Revolution Flame EX|
|Doomer Rift EX|
|Black Hole EX|
|Super Beam EX|
|Attack names listed are conjectural.|
Additionally, during the third phase, Magolor can create gusts of wind, fire orbs from rifts, and different Super Abilities are featured before the Ultra Sword.
According to VS Magolor EX Special Page, Magolor did not originally own the Lor Starcutter, instead having stolen it from Halcandra. Additionally, in the game's ending cinematic, Landia commands the Lor from the outside, and then flies back home with it, implying the dragon is the true owner of the ship.
Kirby's Dream Collection
Magolor is the host of the New Challenge Stages section of Kirby's Dream Collection and is apparently friends with Kirby there, pointing out that "things got a bit hectic" the last time he appeared. At the end of each world of this sub-game, Kirby races against Magolor using the ability of his choice, while Magolor summons obstacles for Kirby to try to avoid. Amusingly, even though Magolor set up these races, he still feels sullen if Kirby beats him.
Magolor and Kirby race, as Kirby passes him by while carrying a Parasol.
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Magolor does not have a role in this game, but his likeness is seen in several different locations.
- In Stage 3 of Wild World, a portrait of Magolor can be seen in the background during the fight with the Ace Fuwa Rover.
- One of Kirby's Stone transformations depicts Magolor.
- The third-to-last Keychain depicts an 8-bit rendering of Magolor, which is the same rendering as the statue from Kirby's Dream Collection.
- Magolor appears in the audience during Triple Deluxe's Kirby Master video.
Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe
Magolor appears in one of the secret stages, which features the C-R-O-W-N-E-D theme. He acts as an obstacle, covering certain drums.
A Miiverse post explains that, in addition to building the New Challenge Stages, Magolor also built the Drum Dash courses.
Kirby: Planet Robobot
As in Triple Deluxe, Magolor does not appear directly in the game. His likeness can however be found in a Stone transformation, as well as a number of stickers.
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe/Super Kirby Clash
- Main article: Magolor's Shoppe
Magolor makes an appearance in this expanded Sub-Game, here wearing a green robe and serving the role of shopkeeper for Magolor's Shoppe. He sells Kirby various bits of equipment, including new weapons and armor for each role, as well as potions and other items.
Kirby Star Allies
Magolor's Dream Friend trailer
|This charming rogue magician arrives from Kirby's Return to Dream Land with a wink and something up his sleeve. But he's your Dream Friend, and he's more than willing to help you conquer the galaxy.|
— Pause screen description of Magolor in Kirby Star Allies
In Kirby Star Allies, Magolor makes his playable debut as a Dream Friend in version 4.0.0 and onward. He primarily takes from his appearance in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, but possesses several attacks inspired by his boss incarnation, his moves in New Challenge Stages, and even his appearance in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe. He also gains a version of the Ultra Sword as one of his attacks.
Magolor is capable of imbuing his allies with the 'Bluster', 'Zap', and 'Sizzle' Power Effects. He also has a unique Friend Ability called Summon Lor, which has him create a replica of the Lor Starcutter which his allies jump into.
|Magolor's Dream Friend Moveset in Kirby Star Allies|
|Skill||Button Execution||Skill||Button Execution|
|Magic Sphere||Gem Apple Bombs|
|Revolution Flame||Black Hole|
|Double Deadly Needles||Ultra Sword|
|Double Deadly Needles Deluxe||Magic Barrier|
|Magalor Surge||Dimensional Vanish|
Super Smash Bros. series
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Magolor makes an appearance as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Magolor appears as a Primary Spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, using his official artwork from Kirby's Return to Dream Land. His Spirit is ranked ★★★ Ace, Attack-type, has 3 slots and no skill. Interestingly, he has higher defense than attack despite being Attack-type.
During the Spirit Battle in Adventure Mode: World of Light and Spirit Board, Magolor's spirit possesses one male Robin (a magic user) and is fought in the Halberd stage with the theme "CROWNED". In this battle, the screen will occasionally flip upside down, which is a reference to the Magolor boss battle in Return to Dream Land.
Magolor has several musical themes for his different forms.
- Main article: Distant Traveler
マホロア (Magolor, the Distant Traveler) in the Japanese soundtrack but has no official title in English so far.
This track has an arrangment in later games which is titled 異空
(The Traveler Across Another Dimension) in Japanese and "Distant Traveler" in English. This version is used in:
- Magolor Race of New Challenge Stages from Kirby's Dream Collection;
- Extra Level in Dedede's Drum Dash from Kirby: Triple Deluxe;
- "Mid-Boss All-Star 2" in The True Arena from Kirby: Planet Robobot.
Under My Control
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Sound Test Music 103: Magolor's Boss Battle Theme. It is titled 支配
してアゲルヨォ (Fall Under My Rule) in the Japanese soundtrack but has no official title in English so far. It's often called "Under My Control" in fan translations.
- Main article: CROWNED
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Sound Test Music 105: Magolor Soul's Boss Battle Theme. It is titled "C-R-O-W-N-E-D" or simply "CROWNED".
This track has been remixed twice as the Bonus Level music in Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe the standalone spin-off.
- The first remix for the normal level remains the same title "'C-R-O-W-N-E-D";
- The second remix for the secret level is titled "C-R-O-W-N-E-D (Reprise)".
Another remix of this track can be found in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.
- There is some doubt as to whether or not Magolor really comes from Halcandra. He claims it to be his homeworld, yet he shares more similarities with the Doomers from Another Dimension. It could be that either he hails from the alternate dimension and was lying, or that he really is from Halcandra, and his similarities to the Doomers is either coincidental, or the Doomers reflect him somewhat in appearance when he summons them.
- Magolor's voice is sampled from that of Hirokazu Ando the sound composer himself.
- Although Magolor Soul appears in both the Main and Extra Mode of Kirby's Return to Dream Land, he is only referred to as such in the Extra Mode. In the Main Mode, he is still just called Magolor.
- Magolor is often compared with Marx from Kirby Super Star, as both were seemingly friendly beings who betrayed Kirby in an attempt to gain ultimate power. Additionally, they both are fought as final bosses and have a Soul variant. Their similarities are canonized in one of Kirby's Stone transformations in Kirby: Triple Deluxe, wherein Kirby can rarely become a marbled statue depicting both Marx and Magolor together. They also appear together in one title screen animation of Kirby Star Allies.
- Marx can even summon a black hole in one of his attacks, and fire a laser beam in another, which Magolor can also do.
- On October 23, 2015, Satoshi Ishida revealed in a Miiverse post that the Master Crown "took control of" Magolor after Kirby hit him with the Ultra Sword, and that Magolor's final defeat and "liberation from his crimes" was envisioned as a bonus scene that would only play if all "special items" (presumably Energy Spheres) were collected. In the end, it was decided that this would be left out of the storyline.
- Unfinished Dream Friend data of Magolor was found in Kirby Star Allies Version 1.0.0 to 3.0.0, though it was used later in version 4.0.0.
- Interestingly, one of Magolor's moves 'Magalor Surge' appears to contain a typo of Magolor's name.
- Magolor is officially acknowledged as egg-shaped by the developers of HAL Laboratory, and he is given the nickname イカサマたまご("deceptive egg") by Zan Partizanne. In retaliation, he calls the Three Mage Sisters as 信号機三人娘 ("traffic-light trio girls") and Zan Partizanne as "Parmesan cheese".
- Magolor appears along with other catlike characters in the Japanese Cat Day illustration on the official Twitter, which implies Magolor is also catlike with two pointy "ears".
No damage fight against Magolor in his initial form.
No damage fight against Magolor EX.
Names in other languages
(magic) and Lor Starcutter. Also derived from まほろば mahoroba (wonderful place). 
mó fǎ luò yà
|魔法 (magic) + 洛亚 (Lor)|
mó fǎ luò yà
|From 마법 (magic) and Lor Starcutter.|
|Spanish||Maglor||Similar to English name|
- "As a token of my gratitude, I'll let you in on a little secret about this ship.
The Lor is a legendary Halcandran vessel crafted by the ancients.
It's said that an incredible power was used to construct it.
This same power gave rise to clockwork stars that soar the cosmos...
mysterious items that can bring dreams to life...
and countless other legendary creations.
I excavated this ship from the volcano where Landia dwells and repaired it.
But there's another ancient artifact there, one that lets you rule the universe!
And I have a feeling Landia isn't willing to part with it quite so easily.
So hurry up and defeat that dragon for me, Kirby!" —Magolor (in the Lor Starcutter when Kirby has collected all 120 Energy Spheres, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Extra Mode)
- "By the way, I knew about you long before our fateful meeting.
Kirby, the happy-go-lucky hero with the bottomless stomach.
I even know somebody who knows you quite well!
Even on this world, you're incredibly popular!
There may even be some folks here who have fought with you before.
If everybody would just get along, it would make things so much easier.
Nothing good comes of fighting. Let's always stay friends, Kirby!" —Magolor (in the Lor Starcutter when Kirby has collected all 120 Energy Spheres, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Extra Mode)
- "そう、まずハ 手 ハジメに キミらの星 ポップスターから 支配 してアゲルヨォ！" —Magolor (JP Theater movie "Let Me Explain Everything", Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
- Miiverse - イシダ's post