Kirby's Dream Buffet
Kirby's Dream Buffet is an upcoming Kirby spin-off game for the Nintendo Switch eShop. In it, Kirby is shrunk by the Dream Fork and must face off against Waddle Dees and other multi-colored Kirbys in collecting the most strawberries along food-themed courses in order to grow in size. Becoming larger grants various benefits to the Kirby in question, including rolling faster down hills, and is the metric by which the winner is decided. Kirby's Dream Buffet features three distinct game modes, including racing and battle modes, and also features online multiplayer via Nintendo Switch Online. The game also features the familiar Copy Abilities in a new form, as Copy Food abilities.
Kirby's Dream Buffet is scheduled to release August 17th 2022, to be exclusively available as a digital download from the Nintendo eShop.
In Kirby's Dream Buffet, Kirby is invited to a "gourmet festival" where he finds a cake, as shown in the opening scene. Instead of waiting for the festival to start, Kirby decides to eat the cake using the Dream Fork. In wielding the Dream Fork, Kirby is affected by its magical powers and is shrunk down significantly. From here, he is joined by other Kirbys as they roll around, eating the now relatively giant food.
Kirby's Dream Buffet is an action multiplayer game with a core focus on racing and battle modes. The goal of each mode is to collect the most strawberries and grow to the largest size to be declared the winner, using whatever other items or course elements appear along the way to gain an advantage. Strawberries can be obtained along the various courses either out in the open, dropped from above, contained in boxes, or stolen from rivals.
There are three distinct types of gameplay as follows:
- Race - Kirbys race along a linear course from start to finish and collect strawberries along the way. At the end of each track are piles of strawberries 50, 20, and 10 strawberries large which are first-come, first-served.
- Minigame - Kirbys roll around a small board and collect strawberries that appear while also knocking their opponents away until time runs out.
- Battle Royale - Kirbys battle opponents to steal their strawberries in an open area while avoiding the giant gloves and other hazards on the board.
Game modes can be played separately or together in a Grand Prix mode. Gameplay can take place in local or online Multiplayer and/or against CPU opponents. Collecting strawberries also allows the player to unlock different Colors and Costumes for their Kirby or obtain collectible Character Treats to use as starting pedestals in races.
There are a total of eight different Copy Abilities in Kirby's Dream Buffet, which are acquired from Copy Foods contained within Food Boxes or out in the open. While most of these abilities are from earlier titles, they have all been given food-based redesigns. These abilities are limited-use, and some only appear in the race modes while others only appear in the Battle Royale matches. The following are the Copy Abilities in the game:
|Copy Abilities in Kirby's Dream Buffet|
|Ability||Copy Food||Game mode||Description||Notes|
|All game modes||Kirby turns into a ball with a chili pepper stem and can dash forward in a burning fireball, knocking opponents away.||This is the first time Burning has appeared as a distinct ability since Kirby: Canvas Curse.|
ドリルキャロット (Drill Carrot)
|Battle Royale||Kirby turns into a carrot and can dig through the ground to avoid attack, then pop up to hit opponents from below.|
ハイジャンプグミ (Hi-Jump Gummy)
|Race||Kirby turns into a gummy spring and can launch to a distant point ahead on the race track.|
プルプルゼリー (Jiggly Jelly)
|Race & Battle Royale||Kirby turns into an amorphous blob of jelly and can phase through breakable barriers and enemy attacks.||This is a new ability to the series.|
ニードルキャンディー (Needle Candy)
|Battle Royale||Kirby turns into spiky hard candy and can attack other racers by ramming into them.|
ストーンチョコ (Stone Chocolate)
|Battle Royale||Kirby turns into a brick of chocolate and pounds the ground, creating a shockwave that can damage opponents.|
|Race & Battle Royale||Kirby turns into a cup of frosting and can spin around, creating a vortex that grabs strawberries from a distance.|
ホイールドーナツ (Wheel Donut)
|All game modes||Kirby turns into a doughnut and can dash at high speed through opponents to knock them away.|
Enemies in Kirby's Dream Buffet are largely intended as obstacles on race courses and Battle Royale stages and targets in minigame boards. In the latter case, they can be seen carrying stacks of strawberries on some boards and can be defeated by bumping into them.
The following enemies have been revealed to be in the game:
- Bouncy (with a dark pink head, blue bow, and green spring connector)
- Bronto Burt
- Kabu (with sprinkles on top)
Kirby's Dream Buffet contains at least 16 stages, though none of them are known by name as of now. It is also not currently known what portion of these stages are race courses, minigame stages, or Battle Royale arenas. It is said that if more strawberries are collected, more stages will become available, though it is not entirely clear if this means that collecting strawberries in courses makes the Grand Prix longer, or if strawberries are used to unlock additional courses.
- The opening scene shown in the trailer for this game greatly mirrors the opening of the announcement trailer for Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition, as both feature Kirby admiring an ornately-decorated cake topped with strawberries with a peach backdrop.
- This is the first game in the Kirby series to be officially localized into Portuguese.
- Main article: Kirby's Dream Buffet/gallery
Names in other languages
kābyi no gurume fesu
|Kirby's Gourmet Fest|
kǎ bǐ dì měi shí jié
|Kirby's Gourmet Fest|
|Dutch||Kirby's Dream Buffet||-|
|French||Kirby's Dream Buffet||-|
|German||Kirby's Dream Buffet||-|
|Italian||Kirby's Dream Buffet||-|
|Korean||커비의 드림 뷔페
keobiui deulim bwipe
|Kirby's Dream Buffet|
|Portuguese||Kirby's Dream Buffet||-|
|Spanish||Kirby's Dream Buffet||-|
- Kirby's Dream Buffet on Nintendo.com
- Kirby's Dream Buffet on Nintendo of UK
- Kirby's Dream Buffet Japanese site
- Japanese Nintendo article detailing Kirby's Dream Buffet
- Second Japanese Nintendo article detailing Kirby's Dream Buffet
- Kirby 30th Anniversary Music Fest
- Announcement trailer
- Kirby_JP Twitter post
- Nintendo of Europe
- Nintendo of America
- Nintendo UK
- Japanese Nintendo article for the game
- Kirby_JP Twitter post
- Official website
- Japanese official website