|Hi-yaa! Hold the B Button longer for a stronger blow! That punch is an instant KO!|
— Kirby Super Star Ultra
- 1 Game appearances
- 2 Super Smash Bros. Trophy Information
- 3 In Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Names in other languages
- 7 References
Kirby Super Star (Ultra)
|Copy the abilities of Fighter and assume the role of a mighty karate expert. Increase your power with practice!|
— Kirby Super Star pause caption
Fighter debuted in Kirby Super Star and also appears in its remake Kirby Super Star Ultra. In these games, Kirby can obtain this ability by swallowing Knuckle Joe or Iron Mam the Mid-Boss, or by touching Enemy Symbols or Copy Essence Deluxes. With this ability equipped, Kirby can create Knuckle Joe as a helper. Kirby's visual appearance only changes by adding a red headband.
|Fighter moveset in Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra|
|Set strength by holding B|
|Skill (Short Charge)||Skill (Long Charge)||Button Execution|
|Vulcan Jab||Smash Punch|
|Leg Sweep||Spin Kick|
|Down Kick||Double Kick|
|Skill||Button Execution||Skill||Button Execution|
|Rising Break||Grab Foe|
|Arm Throw||Judo Throw|
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Fighter appears in this game, despite having not appeared in the prior title Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land upon which this game's engine was based. As is typical for the ability, it has a large variety of moves, unlike most of the other abilities in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror. The ability gives Kirby a red bandana that flaps behind him when he runs, jumps, falls, uses moves, or moves in any other way. They bandana turns grey when the chalk spray is equipped. The picture that appears when Kirby copies fighter shows Kirby slamming his fist into the ground. Fighter is provided by a fair number of enemies in the game, including the following:
- Tap B: Vulcan Jab Punch (Unleash a flurry of punches with great range and great combo potential!)
- Double tap B: Rising Kick (After using a flurry, kick up in the air with great speed. This move also has great combo potential, and is the only way to use the focus
ball in midair.)
- Triple tap B: Slam Punch (After using a rising kick, slam into the ground with a powerful punch. This move doesn't combo, but it does have great power and range.)
- Hold B briefly: Force Blast (Shoot a lightly charged focus flame, use after rising kick to throw in midair.)
- Hold B longer: Mega Force Blast (Shoot a stronger force blast, use after rising kick to throw in midair.)
- Hold B with one health remaining: Giga Force Blast (Shoot a very powerful force blast that travels through walls, use after rising kick to throw in midair.)
- B while holding left or right OR B in midair: Triple Spin Kick (Use a spinning kick that hits three rimes and rises Kirby up a bit.)
- B while dashing: Moon Somersault Kick (Unleash a powerful kick with great range, can be used three times in a row before Kirby stops dashing.)
- Up B: Rising Break (Use a powerful uppercut that sends Kirby flying into the sky!)
- Down B: Ground Slide (Most abilities have this, the exceptions being Stone, Smash, and Sword. Fighter does not change it at all.)
- Down B in Midair: Sky Kick ( Drop down from the air with a speedy kick. Bounce off of the enemies you hit.)
- The Force Blast, Mega Force Blast, and Giga Force Blast are all references to the Hadoken and Shakunetsu Hadoken from the Street Fighter series.
- Most of the moves in Fighter Kirby's moveset combo into each other well, as a reference to fighting games in general, which rely heavily on using combos to get ahead.
- The picture that appears when Kirby copies fighter may be a reference to Megaton Punch, a game mode in Kirby Superstar where Kirby has to punch as strong as possible into the ground, shattering the Planet Popstar itself.
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Fighter returns in this title, bearing largely the same look and feel as it had in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, though with a few adjustments. It is once again provided by Boxin and Box Boxer. Acquiring the Ability Scroll for the Fighter ability allows Kirby to launch an even bigger force blast which can break metal blocks.
Additionally, Kirby gains a unique idle pose when he has this ability. He raises his arms and sways back and forth in a fighting stance.
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Fighter reappears in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, obtained by swallowing enemies such as Knuckle Joe or touching Copy Essences. Since Return to Dream Land, Fighter's moveset generally emulate back to the original moveset from Kirby Super Star. Aesthetically, Kirby gains the signature red head band like in Kirby Super Star, but shorter and with a star in the front of the headband.
|Fighter Moveset in Kirby's Return to Dream Land|
|Skill||Button Execution||Description||Skill||Button Execution||Description|
|Vulcan Jab||Kirby unleashes a barrage of punches in front of him.||Force Blast||Kirby fires a small yet powerful blast of energy.|
|Smash Punch||Kirby does a strong punch in front of him.||Mega Force Blast||Kirby fires a larger more powerful blast of energy.|
|Leg Sweep||Kirby slides forward like his base form's slide attack but can hit more enemies.||Giga Force Blast||Kirby fires a large and powerful fireball in front of him.|
|Spin Kick||Kirby does three powerful kicks in front of him while spinning mid-air.||Instant Mega Force Blast||Kirby fires a instantaneous version of mega force blast.|
|Down Kick||Kirby does a small kick that can be repeated.||Moon Somersault Kick||Kirby does an upwards kick that sends the poor victim in the air.|
|Double Kick||Kirby does a does a double kick to a similar effect to Smash Punch.||Foe Grab||Kirby grabs his opponent.|
|Rising Break||Kirby does a multi-hit uppercut.||Arm Throw||Similar to throw Kirby tosses his opponent forward damaging any enemies hit by them.|
|Sky Kick||Similar to suplex's pinpoint kick, Kirby dives down with his foot extended to hit enemies below.||Judo Throw||As it's name says Kirby judo throws his opponent behind him.|
Kirby's Dream Collection
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Fighter returns once again, being provided by Knuckle Joe. It also appears in Kirby Fighters.
Kirby Fighters Deluxe
Fighter is one of the selectable Copy Abilities in this expanded spin-off title. It is largely the same as it was in Kirby: Triple Deluxe.
Kirby: Planet Robobot
|This ability raises your fighting power to the max! The supersonic punches and kicks Kirby unleashes bring about infinite fighting capabilities.|
— Kirby: Planet Robobot pause caption
Fighter returns in this title, unchanged from its appearance in Kirby: Triple Deluxe.
Kirby Battle Royale
|Heya, fighter! Go give 'em a knuckle sandwich for me! When you see an opening, use your Giga Force Blast to knock 'em out!|
— Knuckle Joe's comment in Kirby Battle Royale
Fighter is one of the abilities on offer for this competitive multiplayer title. It allows Kirby to perform a wide series of lightning-fast punches and kicks and chase his target easily. It also allows Kirby to use a special ranged attack after a brief charge-up.
|Fighter Moveset in Kirby Battle Royale|
|Skill||Button Execution||Skill||Button Execution|
|Quick Jab||Giga Force Blast|
|Rising Break||Spin Kick|
|Sky Kick||Final Spin Kick|
Kirby Star Allies
|Oh boy! It's the Fighting Copy Ability, complete with tons of techniques! Grab and throw foes with ease. You can even grab and throw...your friends! Throw them against rocks and other things you want to smash.|
— Kirby Star Allies pause caption
Fighter returns in this title, provided once again by Knuckle Joe. In addition to the large arsenal of moves Kirby obtains from this ability, he can also use a move called Friend Throw when near a recruited Friend.
|Fighter's Moveset in Kirby Star Allies |
while facing right
|Vulcan Jab||Kirby unleashes a barrage of jabs in front of him.|
|Smash Punch||Kirby does a strong punch, throwing a blast of energy in front of him.|
|Leg Sweep||Kirby slides forward like his base form's slide attack but can hit more enemies. Unlike sliding, Kirby goes through enemies while invincible in the process.|
|Spin Kick||Kirby does three consecutive spin kicks while jumping forward, invincible in the process.|
|Down Kick||Kirby does a small kick that can be repeated. Kirby bounces off the enemy slightly after Down Kick.|
|Double Kick||Kirby does a double kick, throwing a blast of energy similar to Smash Punch.|
|Rising Break||Kirby does a multi-hit uppercut, invincible in the process.|
|Sky Kick||Similar to Suplex's Pinpoint Kick, Kirby dives down with his foot extended to hit enemies below. Kirby bounces off the enemy slightly after Sky Kick.|
|Force Blast||Kirby fires a small blast of energy from his both hands.|
|Mega Force Blast||Kirby fires a large, powerful blast of energy from his both hands.|
|Giga Force Blast||Kirby fires a larger and more powerful fireball from his both hands, which gives Sizzle augment.|
|Instant Mega Force Blast||Kirby fires a instantaneous version of Mega Force Blast. Can be repeated with quick button execution.|
|Moon Somersault Kick||Kirby does a somersault kick that sends the common enemy in the air and can be repeated.|
|Foe Grab||Kirby grabs a common enemy or a Recoil Star, invincible in the process.|
|Arm Throw||Similar to Throw ability, Kirby tosses what he has grabbed forward, invincible in the process and damaging any enemies hit by the thrown projectile.|
|Judo Throw||As its name says, Kirby judo throws what he has grabbed behind him, invincible in the process and damaging any enemies hit by the thrown projectile.|
Interestingly, although the original names of Fighter's moves in the Japanese version are using the same English words, the Chinese version of Kirby Star Allies has given some stylish names of Fighter's moves, namely:
- Vulcan Jab - 无影拳 (wú yǐng quán): literally means "Shadowless Punch".
- Rising Break - 雷神破 (léi shén pò): literally means "Thunder God Break". Possibly a reference to the Japanese pronunciation of Rising which is similar to Raijin, the Japanese god of lightning and thunder.
Super Smash Bros. Trophy Information
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Kirby dons a warrior's headband and becomes a fierce fighter when he swallows an enemy skilled at physical attacks. Fighter Kirby uses many colorful punching and kicking moves as he overpowers his enemies with his sparring skills. The Vulcan Jab is just one of the many techniques Kirby can use thanks to his copying power.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
"Show me your moves!" Wait-that's not Kirby's line! Regardless, he's really fired up and ready to become a fighting machine with that red headband. He knows the basics, like kicking and tossing, but he can also muster his fighting spirit to blast distant foes.
In Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
- Since its inception, the Fighter ability has consistently been one of the most complex Copy Abilities in the games it appears in, coming with lots of different moves.
- In the concept art of the Fighter ability for Kirby Super Star, it was originally called Rush, which also allowed Kirby to throw consecutive punches.
- The Fighter ability can be seen as a reference to Ryu from the Street Fighter series with respect to several aspects.
- The red headband Kirby wears is similar to the one Ryu wears.
- Two of Fighter's moves (Rising Break and the Force Blast line of attacks) are similar in concept to Ryu's trademark Shoryuken and Hadouken respectively. Furthermore, the input for the Instant Mega Force Blast is identical to Hadouken's input (down + forward + attack).
- In Kirby: Squeak Squad, Fighter Kirby's idle animation has him putting his arms up while hopping in place, in similar fashion to Ryu.
- Fighter's Vulcan Jab and Smash Punch have become part of Kirby's neutral attack combo in Super Smash Bros. series. Vulcan Jab is also the neutral attack of Smash the Copy Ability based on his moveset in Super Smash Bros. series.
- In the anime Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, Rising Break is usually Fighter Kirby's finisher move.
Kirby Super Star Ultra artwork
Names in other languages
gé dòu jiā
- 20th Anniversary Kirby Pupupu Encyclopedia, p. 121