Channel DDD is the television broadcasting service provided free of charge to the citizens of Cappy Town by King Dedede in the anime series Kirby: Right Back at Ya!. Channel DDD was first established in the episode Un-Reality TV, where Dedede attempts to use the show as propaganda and hypnosis to turn Cappy Town against Kirby. In subsequent episodes, the channel would be used more sparsely in various plot points.
Channel DDD and all of its shows are produced and broadcast from the basement levels of Castle Dedede. A full studio with sets, props, and broadcasting equipment is present, manned by Waddle Dees and orchestrated by Escargoon. A surveillance station is also present, which allows King Dedede to monitor every household which has one of his T.V. sets through hidden live cameras.
Often, King Dedede and Escargoon use Channel DDD as an excuse to barge into the homes of their subjects uninvited and invade their privacy. This is particularly notable in episodes such as Watermelon Felon (where King Dedede encroaches on Kirby to frame him as a criminal menace), The Meal Moocher (where King Dedede barges into peoples' houses to compel them to serve him fancy food), and A Trashy Tale (where King Dedede publicly and hypocritically shames the Bookem household for the clutter that has collected in their home).
All of the shows, movies, and advertisements are produced by King Dedede, Escargoon, and the Waddle Dees. As such, nearly every show revolves around Dedede and Escargoon in various roles, and most of the television is Dedede-themed. Despite King Dedede's reputation as an incompetent oaf, most of his shows have quite good production value, though there are some exceptions, such as the premiere show "Kirby and the King", which just has Dedede talking to a hand puppet of Kirby.
List of shows
The following is a list of notable shows that have been hosted on Channel DDD throughout the series:
- Kirby and the King (Un-Reality TV, The Pillow Case)
- DDD News (Un-Reality TV, recurring throughout the series)
- Chef Shiitake: All About Cooking (A Recipe for Disaster)
- Dedede Undercover (Watermelon Felon)
- The King's comedy sketch (A Novel Approach, repeated in some later episodes)
- Dedede: Comin' at Ya! (Cartoon Buffoon)
- Dedede's One Minute Cooking (A Half-Baked Battle)
- Pie Justice (A Half-Baked Battle)
- Millions for a Meal (The Meal Moocher)
- The Kirby Quiz Challenge (The Kirby Quiz)
- What's my Fortune? (Mabel Turns the Tables)
- Cappy Town Undercover (A Trashy Tale)
- Many of the shows on Channel DDD are references to real-world movies and television shows.
- The Channel PPP Crew from the Kirby JP Twitter likely took their naming convention from Channel DDD.
Staged scene of the Great Sea Slug Monster attacking Cappy Town
A Waddle Dee controls the miniature Armored Vehicle
Commercial for "DDD Special Tooth Paste" from A Dental Dilemma
Escargoon interviewing "anonymous" witnesses in Watermelon Felon
A shot from King Dedede's "comedy sketch", first shown in A Novel Approach
Broadcast of the shoddily-produced cartoon made after the failure of "Dedede: Comin' at Ya!" in Cartoon Buffoon
King Dedede advertising Dedede Dolls
King Dedede barging into Tiff and her family's quarters during a show
King Dedede and Escargoon using Channel DDD to steal Tiff's idea for an eco-tour in Trick or Trek
SlicerDicer being advertised on Channel DDD