Kirby: Canvas Curse
Kirby: Canvas Curse (known as Touch! Kirby in Japan and Kirby: Power Paintbrush in Europe and Australia) is a spin-off game in the Kirby series for the Nintendo DS created by HAL Laboratory and Nintendo in 2005. In it, Kirby is turned into a ball by a witch named Drawcia while she is turning Dream Land into a painting, and must travel through 8 levels in order to defeat the witch and turn both Dream Land and him back to normal. In this game, Kirby has a dash attack, which can be used by simply touching him. This attack can also help him get other powers from enemies that can give him them. Due to also losing the ability to float and jump, Kirby can also travel on a line drawn by the player to wherever it leads. the player can play as Kirby, Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo, King Dedede, or Meta Knight, with each character having different skills and health power. An indirect sequel, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, was released in 2015 for the Wii U.
The following characters can be played in Story Mode stages. Beating each stage with each character is necessary for 100% Completion:
- Kirby - Starts with 4 Vitality. Has decent speed and can copy abilities. Can augment vitality using Medal Swap.
- Waddle Dee - Unlocked once the game is completed as Kirby. Has 4 vitality and otherwise is the same as Kirby, but cannot copy abilities.
- King Dedede - Unlockable at Medal Swap after game is completed as Kirby. Uses a hammer while dashing, and has 8 vitality, but is larger (and thus less nimble) than other characters.
- Meta Knight - Unlockable at Medal Swap after game is completed as Kirby. Fastest character, but only 3 vitality. Nearby enemies are struck with a sword slash.
- Waddle Doo - Unlocked once all other characters have finished each stage. Has a slow dash, but 5 vitality and permanent Beam ability.
- Reddy Land
- Arange Gorge
- Iello Adventure
- Neo Greo
- Bloo Hills
- Omarine Zone
- Wonder Lilane
- The World of Drawcia
- The World of Drawcia
|Fluff Waddle Dee||None|
|Spear Waddle Dee||None|
At the end of each level, (except Wonder Lilane) Kirby faces off against a boss of his choosing. There are three initial bosses, and Kirby will have to face each one twice (with the second time being tougher). From there, Wonder Lilane technically has no boss, but Drawcia is revealed (along with her level) after completing it. The bosses faced are as follows:
- Initial Bosses
- Drawcia Sorceress
- Drawcia Soul
|Balloon||Touching Kirby makes him inflate into a balloon. He can inflate 3 times, each time into a slightly larger balloon. Kirby can bounce around while he holds his breath.|
|Beam||When tapped, Kirby releases a beam, which goes around him, attacking any enemies within its circle of reach.|
|Burning||Allows Kirby to move as a meteor for a short distance across the screen, destroying any enemies unfortunate enough to be in his path.|
|Crash||Tapping Kirby triggers a huge explosion, defeating any normal enemies on the screen.|
|Freeze||Sets a barrier around Kirby, which freezes any enemies that come in contact with it.|
|Missile||Turns Kirby into a missile, allowing him to be directed by the lines of the Magic Paintbrush. Will crash if it hits a wall, destroying any normal enemies nearby.|
|Needle||Turns Kirby into a spike ball, which sticks him to the floor or a wall if he is near one.|
|Spark||Allows Kirby to release electrical energy from within his body and attack enemies with it. Touching and holding Kirby makes him stop in midair.|
|Stone||Transforms into a heavy stone to crush enemies and blocks or pound stakes.|
|Tornado||Kirby spins, being encased inside of a tornado. If tapped, he will go higher.|
|Wheel||Transforms Kirby into a wheel for fast transport, getting rid of any enemies in his way.|
- Main article: Rainbow Run
Rainbow Run is a mode in which Kirby tries to set a record for the time in going through a course or for the amount of line he uses to complete it. It uses levels 1 through seven and replaces level 8 with other courses where Kirby can only use a selected ability.
This game also has three subgames. The subgames are only unlocked after beating the second level of each in the Boss Fights of the Main Game. The subgames are similar to the actual boss fights. Game Overs will occur if Kirby either runs out of time or health In each game, there are three levels, with level 1 being the easiest and level 3 being the hardest. New Medals are only unlocked after achieving an A rank in Level 3.
- In Cart Run, Kirby is racing King Dedede in a mine car vehicle.
- In Paint Panic, he is trying to avoid a couple of bombers while connecting the dots drawn by Paint Roller in the same order he drew them in.
- In Block Attack, Kirby is trying to destroy blocks and beat all the enemies in a certain section and go to a higher section.
- Main article: Medal Swap
This game also has a medal swap section, where Kirby can exchange the medals he earned in the game for lines, new levels in Rainbow Run, new songs, and even new players.
- Several bosses from previous Kirby games were intended to be playable characters in early development of Canvas Curse, including Lololo & Lalala, Nightmare, Dark Matter and Zero. Concept art of these bosses as balls can be found in 20th Anniversary Kirby Pupupu Encyclopedia (page 125), but they were cancelled in the final game.
- Kirby: Canvas Curse is the first video game in the Kirby series that introduced the Soul Boss (Drawcia Soul being the first one). The main series would later introduce even more Soul Bosses.
- In Kirby Battle Royale, one of Whip Kirby's Headgears is Gymnastics Leotard. This could be a reference to the Japanese commercial for Kirby: Canvas Curse, which features a female gymnastics athlete guiding the Kirby ball's movement with her ribbon.
- Main article: Kirby: Canvas Curse/gallery
Names in other languages
|French||Kirby: Le Pinceau du Pouvoir||Kirby: The Paintbrush of Power|
|German||Kirby: Power-Malpinsel||Kirby: Power Paintbrush|
|Italian||Kirby: L'oscuro disegno||Kirby: The dark drawing|
|Spanish||Kirby: El Pincel del poder||Kirby: The Paintbrush of Power|
- Kirby: Canvas Curse on Nintendo.com
- Official Japanese website
- Official Australian website (Wayback Machine)
- Kirby: Canvas Curse on Kirby Informer
- "Beat level two of the Boss Games in the main game to play them." —Kirby: Canvas Curse manual (page 20)
- "If Kirby's vitality runs out, the game ends. In Cart Run and Block Attack, the game will also end when time runs out" —Kirby: Canvas Curse manual (page 20)
|Kirby: Canvas Curse|
|Playable Characters||Kirby • King Dedede • Meta Knight • Waddle Dee • Waddle Doo|
|Levels||Reddy Land • Arange Gorge • Iello Adventure • Neo Greo • Bloo Hills • Omarine Zone • Wonder Lilane • World of Drawcia|
|Stages||Plant Plain • Tiny Town • Ravine Road • Ghost Grounds • Growth Grasses • Mag Mount • Rift Ruin • Contrast Cave • Silver Submarine • Machine Mansion • Dreamy Darkness • Palleto Polis • Cold Course • Dungeon Dome • Canvas Canyon • Collapse Castle • Volatile Volcano • Silent Seabed • Frozen Fantasy • Mad Mechanism • Spectacle Space • World of Drawcia|
|Copy Abilities||Balloon • Beam • Burning • Crash • Freeze • Missile • Needle • Spark • Stone • Tornado • Wheel|
|Extras||Rainbow Run • Special Course • Jump Game • Block Attack • Paint Panic • Cart Run • Medal Swap|
|Bosses||Kracko Jr. • Kracko • Paint Roller • King Dedede • Drawcia Sorceress • Drawcia Soul|
|Enemies||Bang-Bang • Blado • Blipper • Bloon • Bobo • Bomber • Bouncy • Bronto Burt • Cappy • Caveela • Chilly • Como • Flame Shotzo • Flamer • Fluff Waddle Dee • Glunk • Gordo • Kabu • Needlous • Pacto • Painting • Para Matter • Para Sorceress • Rocky • Shotzo • Snoppy • Soarar • Sparky • Squishy • Thudd • Tick • Topper • Twister • Spear Waddle Dee • Waddle Dee • Waddle Doo • Wheelie|