Zero (sometimes shortened as 0, also known as ? in the False Ending of Kirby's Dream Land 3) is the final boss of Kirby's Dream Land 3. It is the leader of Dark Matter, and is fought directly after Dark Matter in the Hyper Zone. While it does not appear in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, Zero appears to have been succeeded by 0².
Zero is basically a giant, round, white sphere with a red eye and a black pupil. It can summon Dark Matter to its field. Zero spurts out blood when it performs certain attacks, and when his eye rips out of the central body.
- Main article: Hyper Zone
After forging the Love-Love Stick, Kirby and his friend Gooey fly into the heart of Dark Matter in an area called the Hyper Zone. There, after Kirby defeats Dark Matter, Zero appears out of nowhere and engages Kirby.
Zero has a number of attacks, but its main source of danger is its looming size. Attacks include the following:
- Shooting red blood pellets out from its body as a projectile volley.
- Creating small Dark Matter flyers and sending them at Kirby.
- Charging at Kirby.
- Leaving the main area and firing volleys at Kirby from the background.
To hurt Zero, Kirby must simply hit the boss with projectiles from the Love-Love Stick in his hands (32 damage per shot), though Zero takes many hits to defeat. Zero's first form has 4080 HP, which takes 128 shots from Kirby to defeat (or 160 shots if Gooey is in battle due to the 0.8× damage modifier for 2 players). Zero's first form has only 1 invincibility frame when getting hit so it's faster to defeat this form with 2 players.
Once it loses all its HP, Zero's eye rips out of its body in rather gory fashion and pursues Kirby as a last resort to defeat him. All Kirby has to do at this point is dodge and keep hitting it with the Love-Love Stick. Zero in this form now has only 256 HP, which takes 8 shots from Kirby to defeat (or 10 shots if Gooey is in battle). Zero's eye has much longer invincibility frames so it's suggested to battle with 1 player only. Defeating the eye of Zero finally defeats this boss, and completes Kirby's Dream Land 3 with the good ending.
- Zero appears as a sticker in Kirby: Planet Robobot.
- Zero appears in the Celebration Picture: "Bad Boss Brothers" in Kirby Star Allies.
- If the player looks closely, they can see an eyeball looking similar to Zero inside the mouth of Magolor Soul, leading one to believe that Magolor (or the Master Crown) is related to Zero or 0² in some way.
- This is further indicated in Kirby Star Allies. Void Termina's Angel form, with wings resembling 0², can conjure a Master Crown alike as an attack. Void Termina's Final Core as well as Void Soul sometimes have a face that resembles 0², not to mention summoning Dark Matter alike minions and even transforming themselves into the Dark Matter alike form.
- Void also resembles Zero in his dark matter form when the player sets the difficulty to Soul Melter EX (Level 9), even bearing a similar color scheme in any form (white body with red facial features).
- Although it is easy to construe the blood that spurts from Zero and 0² as merely red energy blobs, both the ending credit illustration of 0² in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and the game's ESRB E10+ rating in Kirby's Dream Collection confirm it as blood.
- While Zero and 0² are extremely similar, it is confirmed that the two are not the same character.
- Dark Nebula is called "Dark Zero" in Japan, but there is no confirmed relationship between them.
- In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Magolor & Lor has an attack shared by Zero in which they fire barrages of bullets from the background.
Names in other languages
- "One boss character (a giant eyeball) fires red droplets at Kirby; additional red-damage effects appear as its health decreases." Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition, ESRB