Tiff is the deuteragonist of the anime Kirby: Right Back at Ya!. She is the eldest daughter of King Dedede's Cabinet Minister, Sir Ebrum, and Sir Ebrum's wife, Lady Like. She lives with her parents and younger brother, Tuff, in Castle Dedede. Tiff is one of Kirby's closest allies and is mentored by Meta Knight. Tiff is known to be very intelligent for her age, and she is the only one who has the ability to call upon the Warp Star when needed, because she is the one who cares about Kirby the most.
Tiff is a pale yellow-skinned young girl who is about twice Kirby's height with long hair that she keeps in an ornate ponytail held by purple and orange clasps and expressive green eyes. She almost always wears a one-piece outfit which is pink on the top and green on the bottom that is separated by a zigzag and orange shoes.
Neither Tiff nor her family are Cappies. The only similarity between them is the yellow skin color. Other than that, the design of their heads, eyes, and limbs are completely different.
|Yeah, I'm short all right! ...and so is my temper!|
— Tiff in Tooned Out
Tiff is best known for her intelligence and short temper. She loves to read, learn, and teach. Her favorite subject is marine biology and she has a large collection of seashells. She also enjoys archaeology, so she often joins Professor Curio in his research. Unlike the other children in the series, Tiff is not always seen to act very playful or childish and she is also portrayed as a very independent character.
However, Tiff is a very high-strung individual who gets angry easily, and is sometimes quick to resort to violence (though she's not always happy to do so). Despite her intelligence, she tends to be very naïve and idealistic, reflecting her youth and inexperience. She can be very stubborn and this leads to her occasionally forcing her ossified values and ideals onto others. She also doesn't know everything, like the moment she thought the characters in a poorly-made animation are moving only to be reminded by her mother that they're standing still (or in the Japanese version where she was amazed at the camera work instead only to be reminded that it's only to fool the viewers).
She's very passionate about protecting the environment and nothing annoys her more than when others, often King Dedede, try to ruin it and its inhabitants. She describes Kirby as a baby, and is shown to care for him with all her heart.
- Kirby: Tiff is the first person that Kirby meets after crashing on Pop Star. She had hoped Kirby would be a tall, dashing knight when she first heard about him, and was disappointed at first to find that he was just a little pink creature. She quickly became Kirby's strongest supporter, and is the only person who can summon his Warp Star from Kabu because she cares for him. They have a relationship somewhat like a mother and child, or older and younger siblings. Tiff tends to be protective of him, and is one of the few characters who tries to keep in mind that he's just a baby.
- Tuff: Tiff and Tuff have a stereotypical older sibling/younger sibling relationship. Tiff often scolds Tuff for his rash behavior while Tuff wishes his sister was less strict. Despite their banter, the two are close and are often seen playing together.
- Sir Ebrum & Lady Like: Tiff has a positive relationship with her parents, but has little in common with them, aside from sharing a temper with her mother. Her parents aren't nearly as bright as their daughter is, and often go along with what Dedede wants, much to her annoyance.
- Meta Knight: Meta Knight is a friend and mentor to Tiff. They get along due to their intelligence and mutual dislike of Dedede, but Tiff gets annoyed with his coldhearted and careless way of handling things and frequently calls him out on it. In addition, Meta Knight tends to be very laid back in contrast to her quick temper. He often helps Tiff when she needs advice to foil Dedede's plots, but will only give her hints to allow her to figure things out on her own. He is still more helpful to her than any other character. She and Meta Knight are the primary two who watch over Kirby. She relies on Meta Knight's knowledge and experience as a Star Warrior to understand and aid Kirby in battle.
- King Dedede: King Dedede is Tiff's least favorite person in the world. She's openly critical of his goals, and knows perfectly well that most of the things Dedede does are schemes to harm Kirby or the environment of Dream Land. Dedede also knows that there is little that Tiff can do to stop him most of the time, and so he regularly taunts and teases her.
- Escargoon: Tiff is occasionally sympathetic towards Escargoon, and has been known to help him but only when she absolutely has to, as seen in Shell-Shocked when Escargoon loses his shell.
- Kine: Tiff's biggest fan is Kine the sunfish. Despite being a completely different species, he has a huge crush on her. Even though they can't feasibly be together, Kine asks about her whenever he gets the chance. He always calls her 'Fumu-san' (Miss Fumu) in the Japanese version.
- Cappy Town: The villagers of Cappy Town respect Tiff's opinion, even the adults, but they don't always listen when she warns them about Dedede's schemes. She often tries to teach the other Cappy children in a makeshift school, but they don't share her love of learning.
The following is a complete list of all of Tiff's appearances in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, along with other information regarding her role in each episode:
|Tiff's appearances in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!|
|Kirby Comes to Cappy Town||Primary character||"Impossible, Falala! Warriors are big and strong, not pink and puffy!"|
|A Blockbuster Battle||Primary character||"Do what you want to, but you're not gonna run Kirby out of Cappy Town!"|
|Kirby's Duel Role||Primary character||"The creature must be...Kirby!"|
|Dark and Stormy Knight||Primary character||"Kirby...just let me know when you need the Star treatment!"|
|Beware: Whispy Woods!||Primary character||"I never really thought about where all the food and stuff that Kirby sucks up goes. The only thing I can think of is that it goes into another dimension!"|
|Un-Reality TV||Primary character||"WE USED TO HAVE LIVES BEFORE TELEVISION!!"|
|Kirby's Egg-Cellent Adventure||Primary character||"I think it was Dyna Blade's egg! Kirby must have came along and ate it!"|
|Curio's Curious Discovery||Primary character||"Remember what you always say. The most important thing isn't to show your theories right, but to dig all the way to the truth!"|
|The Fofa Factor||Secondary character||"King Dedede sticks his beak into everybody's business, doesn't he?"|
|Hail to the Chief||Secondary character||"I'm reading all about Cappy history, and the chief's story doesn't make sense! We never even had a war!"|
|The Big Taste Test||Secondary character||"Wow! Somebody actually taught you to cook like this?"|
|Escargoon Squad||Secondary character||"But I saw it, too! I heard footsteps, like somebody was following me!"|
|Cappy New Year||Secondary character||"We can create our own celebration. We can do whatever we want to!"|
|The Pillow Case||Primary character||"I'm not gonna listen to King Dedede make fun of my friend Kirby!"|
|Kirby's Pet Peeve||Primary character||"Just cause you look like a ball doesn't mean they can kick you around!"|
|A Fish Called Kine||Primary character||"See those are my lungs working, Kine, but they don't work very well underwater! We're from such totally different worlds that we don't even breathe the same way!"|
|The Thing About the Ring||Secondary character||"How come you always act so weird on your anniversary? I don't get it! It's the same thing every time!"|
|Flower Power||Primary character||"His heart's in the right place, but I wonder where his brain is."|
|Here Comes the Son||Secondary character||"Knuckle Joe. What we do makes us monsters...and look what you've done to Kirby!"|
- Main article: Dream Land Princess
While it isn't confirmed, it's suggested that the yellow-skinned female character in the Kirby of the Stars Pilot is an early design of Tiff. As they have the same color of skin and basic body design, as well as being a friend of Kirby, it's a strong possibility.
The early design doesn't seem to wear any clothes, her entire body being yellow. Her hair is instead in two pigtails with red bows. Her eyes are just black ovals with no whites, and she wears an ornate tiara. She also has the ability to fly.
She is the first person Kirby encounters in the pilot. She has no known official name.
Baby Tiff, from The Fofa Factor
Names in other languages