|You gained XXX EXP! (Not that it matters.)|
— In-game message after defeating Computer Virus
Computer Virus is a boss in Kirby Super Star and its remake, Kirby Super Star Ultra. In the Japanese version, it is referred to as Battle Windows (バトルウィンドウズ). It is a living Role-Playing Game. Its strategy is similar to that of a turn-based RPG battle, except the enemy shown will pop out of the screen it is shown on when it is Kirby's turn to attack.
Computer Virus consists of three screens, one showing the actions, one showing the enemy's health, and one showing the enemy itself.
Kirby Super Star
In Kirby Super Star, the Computer Virus is first encountered in the Crystal area of The Great Cave Offensive. The battle is split into three sections, each with a different enemy. Once one enemy is beaten, the next one appears. During this encounter, the enemies fought are the Slime, the Dancing Doll and the Witch. Each of these enemies has to be defeated either by using one of the Copy Essences provided between each round, or by inhaling certain projectiles generated by their attacks, usually stars.
The Slime and the Dancing Doll can fire a star, but they do this rarely and do nothing in most cases. The Witch attacks by launching spells from her staff or firing 3 stars in a row, and she can attack each turn and can defend herself.
Computer Virus is encountered a second time in Planet Halfmoon of Milky Way Wishes. The battle is similar, but different adversaries are fought. The Witch is fought first, followed by the Evil Knight and the Red Dragon. This version of the boss is also encountered in The Arena.
In the second battle, the Witch retains her strategy. The Evil Knight can fire 5 stars in a row, crescent blades, icicles as "Freezing Slash", or raining knives. He can also increase his attack or defense. The Red Dragon can fire 3 stars in a row in a much more difficult-to-avoid pattern. He can also increase his defense, launch flame-breath, and can also launch crescents by flapping his wings, and can attack with his talons.
Whenever the Computer Virus is defeated, a number of messages pops up, stating that Kirby has gained a random amount of points in various made-up stats, including "humor points" and "final exam points". As none of these are actual stats in the game, they do not affect gameplay in any way (as one of these messages says "Not that it matters.")
Kirby Super Star Ultra
The Computer Virus returns in the remake, Kirby Super Star Ultra. Although the battle is unchanged, some of the fought enemies have had their names changed. In addition to its original appearances, it is also encountered in Meta Knightmare Ultra and Helper to Hero. In the latter, the enemies from their Milky Way Wishes appearance are fought, but their palette has been changed and their health is increased.
This table lists the Computer Virus enemies' HP per mode.
|Computer Virus enemies' HP (1-player/2-player)|
|Sprite (KSS/Ultra)||Sprite (Helper to Hero)||Name (KSS/Ultra)||The Great Cave Offensive||Milky Way Wishes
|Helper to Hero|
|Dancing Doll / Puppet||80/104|
|Witch / Magician||100/130||80/104||92/119|
|Red Dragon / Great Dragon||250/325||287/373|
- The music that plays during the battle with the Computer Virus is an 8-bit remix of the normal boss music with noise effect.
- In the original Kirby Super Star, the windows take their appearance from the Classic Mac OS.
- The battle result messages from Computer Virus are referenced when Team Kirby level up in Team Kirby Clash and Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, including the "Not that it matters." quote.
- It's possible to defeat any enemy of Computer Virus in one turn. In the case of Red Dragon / Great Dragon (except in Helper to Hero), it requires the Suplex ability going second:
- In Kirby Super Star, it requires the dragon releasing talons, and using Fury Stomp on the last talon to land 4 hits (70×4=280 damage).
- In Kirby Super Star Ultra, as Fury Stomp's damage is decreased to 50, it requires Rock Drop landing 3 hits and then spitting the Ability Star (Rock Drop 70×3 + Star Bullet 52 = 262 damage).
- The wing flapping cutters of the Red Dragon / Great Dragon is later used by Landia.
Names in other languages
|French||Virus Mystère||Mysterious Virus|
|Italian||Battaglia a Turni||Battle of Turns|
|Spanish||Ordenador Loco||Crazy Computer|
Dancing Doll / Puppet
Witch / Magician
Akuma no Kishi
|German||Sir Unhold||Fiend Knight|
|Italian||Cavaliere Oscuro||Dark Knight|
|Spanish||Caballero Negro||Black Knight|
Red Dragon / Great Dragon
|Japanese||レッドドラゴン / グランドドラゴン
Reddo Doragon / Gurando Doragon
|Red Dragon / Grand Dragon|