A Rope (sometimes called String or a Rope Platform) is a device in the Kirby series. It consists of a platform hanging from a string or rope, which can be cut loose using an appropriate attack, such as those from the Sword or Cutter Copy Abilities. Doing so will cause the platform to fall, which will have various consequences depending on what type of platform the rope was holding, and what may have been laying on top of the platform at the time.
|Rope video game appearances|
|Kirby Super Star||Device|
|Kirby & The Amazing Mirror||Device|
|Kirby: Squeak Squad||Device|
|Kirby Super Star Ultra||Device||Reprises its function from Kirby Super Star.|
|Kirby's Return to Dream Land||Device|
|Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition||Device||Appears in New Challenge Stages as well as Kirby Super Star.|
|Kirby: Triple Deluxe||Device|
|Kirby: Planet Robobot||Device||This title features a heavier and more durable variety of rope called a chain, which can only be broken with the Robobot Armor.|
|Kirby Star Allies||Device||Chains once again appear in this title, this time only being breakable with the use of Power Effects.|
|Kirby and the Forgotten Land||Device|
Kirby Super Star
Ropes first appeared in Kirby Super Star, where they are used mainly to block certain passages unless Kirby has the appropriate ability. The platform to which the rope is attached tends to be a thin floor, though it cannot be passed through from above.
Kirby's Return to Dream Land / Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
More applications were applied to ropes in Kirby's Return to Dream Land. In this title, enemies and items were placed on the platforms that the ropes suspended over bottomless pits; this made it either a good or bad idea to cut the ropes and send the platform falling into the pit. In addition, string platforms could also be be found in larger and heavier varieties, making them a crushing hazard if Kirby is standing underneath them.
Kirby: Planet Robobot
In Kirby: Planet Robobot, a heavier version of rope exists, known as a chain. These can only be cut using the various cutting attacks of the Robobot Armor, and are directly analogous to the smaller string varieties that Kirby himself can cut.
Kirby Star Allies
In Kirby Star Allies, there are multiple variety of ropes. They are as follows:
- Big Bomb appears in multiple levels, notable for being attached to a hanging rope. Cutting the rope with a normal slicing attack drops the bomb, but does not detonate it, causing it to roll away and respawn. Cutting the rope with a Sizzle-based slicing weapon, however, lights the fuse and detonates the bomb.
- Flame Chain is a special variety of chain that can hold up platforms of all types. This continuously burning chain can be cut by any move that can cut ropes regularly, but only if those moves are infused with the Bluster, Blizzard, or Splash Power Effects.
- Regular chains are also in this game, but are much thicker and require slicing shots from the Friend Star in order to be cut.
- Trees & Nuts appear in mainly the earlier levels, consisting of a simple nut hanging from a vine. Cutting it down with a slashing weapon causes the nut to open, revealing various items such as food or Point Stars.
List of Abilities that can cut ropes
- Artist ('Painter' / Bandana Waddle Dee and Meta Knight only)
List of characters that can cut Ropes
- Helpers/Friends which correspond to above abilities and also Bugzzy
- Adeleine & Ribbon (using Waiu or I³)
- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Dark Meta Knight
- King Dedede (Dededetour! only)
- Magolor (using Ultra Sword)
- Marx (using Bluster Jester Ball Spit-Drop)
- Meta Knight
- Rick & Kine & Coo
- Susie (using Spin Cycle)
- The Three Mage-Sisters
Kirby Super Star
- Wii U Virtual Console manual bio: "You can cut it by using a Copy Ability, such as Cutter."
Kirby Super Star Ultra
- Instruction manual bio (page 21): "You can use a certain ability to cut these."
Rope platforms hanging from the ceiling in Sub-Tree, from Kirby Super Star
More Rope platforms appearing in the Garden area, from Kirby Super Star
Demonstration of using a slicing shot from the Friend Star to break a chain in Kirby Star Allies
Cutting off one of Grand Mam's Mega-Big Bomb with the Friend Star in Kirby Star Allies