|Former allies and rivals return as friends. Embark on the adventure of your dreams with characters from the Kirby series!|
— in-game tip from Kirby Star Allies
Dream Friends are special playable characters which Kirby can recruit in Kirby Star Allies. They are distinct from the normal Friends in that they do not represent any particular Copy Ability, instead having unique movesets.
To obtain Dream Friends, Kirby must unlock them via Story Mode and/or game update, enter a Dream Palace, and then use the Dream Rod within to call them forth. They can then remain with Kirby indefinitely, only disappearing if they are un-friended or defeated.
Dream Friends are also playable in Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! where they can be chosen as the primary character, and The Ultimate Choice where they can be chosen as any player. In both of these modes, they must be unlocked by completing the mode once. They appear for 1P to use to solve puzzles and collect Friend Hearts after going through Hero Doors in Heroes in Another Dimension.
List of Dream Friends
Kirby can recruit one Dream Friend each time he visits the Dream Palace. He can also recruit multiples of the same friend.
From Story Mode
These Dream Friends are available in the Story Mode, but two of them need to be unlocked by defeating them as Bosses first:
- Bandana Waddle Dee (represents Waddle Dees in general)
- King Dedede (Kirby's Dream Land)
- Meta Knight (Kirby's Adventure)
(This trio are notably also the playable characters in Kirby's Return to Dream Land.)
Wave 1 Update
These Dream Friends have become available from March 27th, 2018 when the game was updated to Version 2.0.0:
(Note: Rick & Kine & Coo are treated as a single character. They switch out for certain moves and share the same health bar.)
In Story Mode, the Wave 1 Dream Friends can be summoned once the first Dream Palace is available.
Wave 2 Update
These Dream Friends have become available from July 27th, 2018 when the game was updated to Version 3.0.0:
- Adeleine & Ribbon (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards)
- Dark Meta Knight (Kirby & The Amazing Mirror)
- Daroach (Kirby: Squeak Squad)
(Note: Adeleine & Ribbon are treated as a single character. They move as one entity and share the same health bar.)
Wave 3 Update
These Dream Friends have become available from November 30th, 2018 when the game is updated to Version 4.0.0:
- Magolor (Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
- Taranza (Kirby: Triple Deluxe)
- Susie (Kirby: Planet Robobot)
- The Three Mage-Sisters (Kirby Star Allies)
(Note: The Three Mage-Sisters are treated as a single character. They share the same health bar but can switch freely at any time, each with her own moveset.)
In Story Mode, Magolor, Taranza, and Susie can be summoned once Meta Knight is defeated in Sacred Square at the end of Planet Popstar. The Three Mage-Sisters are unlocked once at least 100 Friend Hearts are collected and the happy ending is achieved in Heroes in Another Dimension.
Each Dream Friend plays their own fanfare when they are summoned by the Dream Rod, or when they are selected on the title screen of Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!.
These fanfares can be found as:
Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!
When playing as any of the downloadable Dream Friends, several levels feature entirely new rooms not seen in the Story Mode or in the runs with other characters. Additionally, several areas resemble stages from the games in which these Dream Friends originate.
- Main article: Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!#DLC Dream Friend
- Aside from Dream Palaces, it is also very briefly possible to recruit King Dedede and Meta Knight directly after they are defeated as bosses if a Friend Heart is tossed at them in Story Mode and Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!.
- Among all playable characters in Kirby Star Allies, King Dedede has the highest health, Adeleine & Ribbon has the lowest health, The Three Mage-Sisters has higher health than Kirby, and the rest Dream Friends' health is tied with Kirby.
- The game updates also add Stone ability transformations, Celebration Pictures, and hidden stone plates (see Kirby Star Allies#Update History) of the Dream Friends.
- Each Dream Friend can be considered a representative of each main-series Kirby game up to Star Allies if aligned as follows:
- Kirby's Dream Land → King Dedede
- Kirby's Adventure (Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land) → Meta Knight
- Kirby's Dream Land 2 → Rick & Kine & Coo
- Kirby Super Star (Kirby Super Star Ultra) → Marx
- Kirby's Dream Land 3 → Gooey
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards → Adeleine & Ribbon
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror → Dark Meta Knight
- Kirby: Squeak Squad → Daroach
- Kirby's Return to Dream Land → Magolor
- Kirby: Triple Deluxe → Taranza
- Kirby: Planet Robobot → Susie
- Kirby Star Allies → The Three Mage-Sisters
- Bandana Waddle Dee is a bit of an outlier, as unlike other Dream Friends, he does not represent a game. As stated by his pause screen descriptions, he represents Waddle Dees in general and their perfect attendance in the Kirby series. Alternatively, he could also represent Kirby Super Star Ultra, as that is the image shown in the credits.
From Story Mode
Front cover of Kirby Star Allies: The Original Soundtrack, showcasing Kirby and every single Dream Friend
Dream Friend trailer: Rick & Kine & Coo
Dream Friend trailer: Marx
Dream Friend trailer: Gooey
Dream Friend trailer: Adeleine & Ribbon
Dream Friend trailer: Dark Meta Knight
Dream Friend trailer: Daroach
Dream Friend trailer: Magolor
Dream Friend trailer: Taranza
Dream Friend trailer: Susie
Dream Friend trailer: The Three Mage-Sisters
Names in other languages
mèng huàn méng yǒu
mèng huàn méng yǒu
|French||Ami de rêve||Dream Friend|
|Italian||Amico de sogno||Dream Friend|
|Spanish||Amigo de ensueño||Dream Friend|
- "A new adventure with Dream Friends!" --in-game tip from Kirby Star Allies