|“||Former allies and rivals return as friends. Embark on the adventure of your dreams with characters from the Kirby series!||”|
— in-game tip from Kirby Star Allies
Dream Friends are special playable characters which Kirby can recruit in Kirby Star Allies. They are distinct from the normal Friends in that they do not represent any particular Copy Ability, instead having unique movesets.
To obtain Dream Friends, Kirby must unlock them via Story Mode and/or game update, enter a Dream Palace, and then use the Dream Rod within to call them forth. They can then remain with Kirby indefinitely, only disappearing if they are un-friended or defeated.
Dream Friends are also playable in Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! where they can be chosen as the primary character, and The Ultimate Choice where they can be chosen as any player. In both of these modes, they must be unlocked by completing the mode once. They appear for 1P to use to solve puzzles and collect Friend Hearts after going through Hero Doors in Heroes in Another Dimension.
List of Dream Friends
Kirby can recruit one Dream Friend each time he visits the Dream Palace. He can also recruit multiples of the same friend.
From Story Mode
These Dream Friends are available in the Story Mode, but two of them need to be unlocked by defeating them as Bosses first:
- Bandana Waddle Dee (described as making a "special appearance"; represents Waddle Dees in general)
- King Dedede (Kirby's Dream Land)
- Meta Knight (Kirby's Adventure)
(This trio are notably also the playable characters in Kirby's Return to Dream Land.)
Wave 1 Update
These Dream Friends have been available since March 27th, 2018, when the game was updated to Version 2.0.0:
(Note: Rick & Kine & Coo are treated as a single character. They switch out for certain moves and share the same health bar.)
In Story Mode, the Wave 1 Dream Friends can be summoned once the first Dream Palace is available.
Wave 2 Update
These Dream Friends have been available since July 27th, 2018, when the game was updated to Version 3.0.0:
- Adeleine & Ribbon (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards)
- Dark Meta Knight (Kirby & The Amazing Mirror)
- Daroach (Kirby: Squeak Squad)
(Note: Adeleine & Ribbon are treated as a single character. They move as one entity and share the same health bar.)
Wave 3 Update
These Dream Friends have been available since November 30th, 2018, when the game was updated to Version 4.0.0:
- Magolor (Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
- Taranza (Kirby: Triple Deluxe)
- Susie (Kirby: Planet Robobot)
- The Three Mage-Sisters (Kirby Star Allies)
(Note: The Three Mage-Sisters are treated as a single character. They share the same health bar but can switch freely at any time, each with her own moveset.)
In Story Mode, Magolor, Taranza, and Susie can be summoned once Meta Knight is defeated in Sacred Square at the end of Planet Popstar. The Three Mage-Sisters are unlocked once at least 100 Friend Hearts are collected and the happy ending is achieved in Heroes in Another Dimension.
Each Dream Friend plays their own fanfare when they are summoned by the Dream Rod, or when they are selected on the title screen of Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!, as well as when reaching checkpoints in that mode. The fanfares are based on their main theme song if applicable, or otherwise an appropriate theme from their origin game.
|Dream Friend fanfares|
|Dream Friend||Jukebox Track No.||Title||Original Song||From||Arranged by|
|Bandana Waddle Dee||129||バンダナワドルディが、きたよ！
Bandana Waddle Dee is Here!
|"Welcome to Dream Land"||Kirby's Dream Land||Hirokazu Ando|
King Dedede Has Arrived!
|"King Dedede's Theme"||Kirby's Dream Land||Hirokazu Ando|
Meta Knight Spotted!
|"My Friend and the Sunset"||Kirby Super Star||Hirokazu Ando|
|Rick & Kine & Coo||132||リック＆カイン＆クー大集合っ！
Rick & Kine & Coo Gather!
|"Rick's Theme"||Kirby's Dream Land 2||Hirokazu Ando|
Hey Hey Hey, Marx Has Arrived!
|"Vs. Marx"||Kirby Super Star||Jun Ishikawa|
|"Ripple Field: Stage Select"||Kirby's Dream Land 3||Hirokazu Ando|
|Adeleine & Ribbon||135||おまたせ！アドレーヌ＆リボン
Kept You Waiting! Adeleine & Ribbon
|"Planet Popstar"||Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards||Hirokazu Ando|
|Dark Meta Knight||136||ダークメタナイト…現る！
Dark Meta Knight... Cometh!
|"Dark Meta Knight"||Kirby & The Amazing Mirror||Yuuta Ogasawara|
He's Arrived! Daroach!
|"Squeak Squad Appears!"||Kirby: Squeak Squad||Jun Ishikawa|
Bravo! Magolor's Here for You!
|"Magolor, the Distant Traveler"||Kirby's Return to Dream Land||Yuuta Ogasawara|
Taranza Sees Right Through You!
|"Taranza, the Master of Puppetry"||Kirby: Triple Deluxe||Jun Ishikawa|
Secretary Susie Will Exterminate!
|"The Noble Haltmann"||Kirby: Planet Robobot||Jun Ishikawa|
|The Three Mage-Sisters||141||三魔官シスターズ、恩義を…返す！
The Three-Mage Sisters... Repay Their Debt!
|"Song of Supplication"||Kirby Star Allies||Jun Ishikawa|
|Track title translations are conjectural.|
Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!
When playing as any of the downloadable Dream Friends, several levels feature entirely new rooms not seen in the Story Mode or in the runs with other characters. Additionally, several areas resemble stages from the games in which these Dream Friends originate.
- Main article: Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!#DLC Dream Friend
- According to Shinya Kumazaki, Dream Friends were chosen without taking into consideration their roles and stories in past Kirby games, because it would close the door to some of them as playable characters and them adventuring together with Kirby.
- Characters initially considered as Dream Friends that didn't make the final cut included Shadow Kirby, Drawcia, Galacta Knight, Prince Fluff, and Elline. They were decided against once the team established the basic rule of only including one Dream Friend from each main-series Kirby game.
- Aside from Dream Palaces, it is also very briefly possible to recruit King Dedede and Meta Knight directly after they are defeated as bosses if a Friend Heart is tossed at them in Story Mode and Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!.
- Among all playable characters in Kirby Star Allies, King Dedede and The Three Mage-Sisters have the highest health, Adeleine & Ribbon has the lowest health, Gooey has lower health than Kirby, and the remaining Dream Friends' health is tied with Kirby.
- The game updates also added Stone ability transformations, Celebration Pictures, and hidden stone plates (see Kirby Star Allies/Update History) of the Dream Friends.
From Story Mode
Front cover of Kirby Star Allies: The Original Soundtrack, showcasing Kirby and every single Dream Friend
Dream Friend trailer: Rick & Kine & Coo
Dream Friend trailer: Marx
Dream Friend trailer: Gooey
Dream Friend trailer: Adeleine & Ribbon
Dream Friend trailer: Dark Meta Knight
Dream Friend trailer: Daroach
Dream Friend trailer: Magolor
Dream Friend trailer: Taranza
Dream Friend trailer: Susie
Dream Friend trailer: The Three Mage-Sisters
Names in other languages
mèng huàn méng yǒu
mèng huàn méng yǒu
|French||Ami de rêve||Dream Friend|
|Italian||Amico de sogno||Dream Friend|
|Spanish||Amigo de ensueño||Dream Friend|
- "A new adventure with Dream Friends!" --in-game tip from Kirby Star Allies
- Kirby Star Allies: The Original Soundtrack
- "There were more than a few times when we thought it would be difficult to include certain characters when taking the past stories into consideration, but we got past that kind of rigid thinking early on. Focusing on the story would immediately close the door to going on adventures with these characters." –Shinya Kumazaki (Kotaku interview)
- "There were other characters that we wanted to make special guest appearances, like Drawcia, Elline, Shadow Kirby, Galacta Knight, and so on. But we established a certain rule for our selection process. The rule was to select one character from each title in the main action games over the years, the so-called core Kirby games, the equivalent to numbered sequels." –Shinya Kumazaki (Kotaku interview)