Revenge of the King
|King Dedede demands revenge! Will he finally reign victorious over his age-old nemesis!?|
— Menu caption from Kirby Super Star Ultra
Revenge of the King is the seventh and final main game in Kirby Super Star Ultra. It is a harder and longer version of Spring Breeze, with many enemies replaced with tougher counterparts, and the bosses all upgraded (and Kabula thrown in as well). Thus, it can be also considered as a spiritual remake of the Extra Game of Kirby's Dream Land. It is unlocked when Milky Way Wishes is completed, and must be completed to unlock The True Arena.
King Dedede wants to get revenge on Kirby for the events of Spring Breeze and Gourmet Race, so he steals the Sparkling Stars again, musters his forces, fortifies his castle, and sends Kirby a challenge. Kirby sets off to defeat him again by traversing the land and besting his minions. He collects the Sparkling Stars back along the way, using them to form the Starship and battle Kabula and gain access to the castle.
Once inside, Kirby charges toward the throne room, as King Dedede sends in the last of his minions in a desperate bid to stop the pink menace. As this happens, Dedede is having a running conversation with his closest soldier, Bandana Waddle Dee, who bravely defends his king despite being dismissed. Once Kirby reaches the ring, he battles Dedede, who has donned a mask and jet hammer for the occasion.
Once defeated, King Dedede is knocked out of his castle once more. He and the remainder of his Waddle Dees roam the desert in disgrace, in the knowledge that they simply cannot best Kirby.
The stages are played in the following order:
|Stages in Revenge of the King|
|Purple Plants||Whispy's Revenge|
|Illusion Islands||Lololo & Lalala's Revenge|
|Crash Clouds||Kracko's Revenge||Unlike Spring Breeze, Kirby must defeat Grand Wheelie to leave the moon hidden room.|
|Mt. Dedede Sky||Kabula||None||This stage is nothing more than a boss fight with Kabula using the Starship.|
|The Revenge||Masked Dedede||In order:||Unlike previous iterations of Mt. Dedede, this stage includes much more of the castle.|
- Despite this game only appearing in Kirby Super Star Ultra, the copyright year still reads as 1996-2008.
- The extra mid-bosses added in this mode all come from Kirby's Adventure, with the exception of Phan Phan, who comes from Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land.
- This mode itself is a parody of Revenge of Meta Knight.
- The dialogues in the last stage, The Revenge, are similar to those in Revenge of Meta Knight: Chapter 8.
- Kirby is given a Hammer vs Masked Dedede like how he's given a Sword vs Meta Knight.
- The desert King Dedede and the Waddle Dees march through in the ending cut-scene is the same desert Kirby and Wheelie drive through at the end of Revenge of Meta Knight. The music is also similar to "My Friend and the Sunset", Revenge of Meta Knight's ending theme.
- Both final bosses have a mask, which breaks in half and falls off upon their defeat.
Names in other languages
Daiō no Gyakushū
|Revenge of the King|
|French||Revanche Royale||Royal Revenge|
|German||Die Rache des Königs||Revenge of the King|
|Italian||Vendetta Reale||Royal Revenge|
|Spanish||La venganza del Rey||Revenge of the King|
|Kirby Super Star Ultra Menu|
Click on any posting