|A flash of light reflects off its horn as the king of bugs soars through the sky! After charging your enemies to grab them with your horn, you can slam them into the ground!|
— Triple Deluxe quote
|A flash of lights reflects off its horn as the king of bugs returns! You can pound stakes with Hardhead Slam and use up to gather your friends on your head and fling them into the air!|
— Star Allies quote
Beetle is an ability that gives Kirby the horn and wings of a Japanese rhinoceros beetle. It is unique in the fact that after grabbing enemies, Kirby can still walk and jump, albeit more slowly and less high, respectively. Kirby also only faces one direction when carrying enemies, forcing him to walk backwards when moving in the opposite direction, although this has no effect on anything except the direction enemies are thrown. Another notable thing about this ability, is that it has the ability to pound down stakes with Hardhead Slam. The ability can only be obtained from the the enemy Beetley, and the mid-boss Hornhead. It was introduced in Kirby: Triple Deluxe along with Bell, Circus, Archer, and Hypernova. It later returned in Kirby: Battle Royale and Kirby Star Allies after being absent from Kirby: Planet Robobot.
|Beetle's Moveset in Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Kirby: Star Allies|
while facing right
|Horn Upper||Kirby performs an upper slash with his horn.
|Horn Flurry||Kirby performs multiple upper slashes after 'Horn Upper',|
and then finishes with a powerful upper slash that also hits behind him.
|Rocket Horn||Kirby dashes forward with his horn, grabbing any enemy or Recoil Star on his way.
|Rocket Horn Dive||During 'Rocket Horn', Kirby flies up to do a loop, dropping what he has grabbed onto the ground.
|Spiral Horn||Kirby jumps up and performs spirial slashes with his horn when he's ascending.|
|Hover Wing||Kirby flies with his beetle wings.
|Hardhead Slam||Kirby slams down his horn onto the ground when used in midair.
|Catching Horn||Kirby grabs an enemy or a Recoil Star nearby with his horn.|
|Carry Around||Kirby can walk and jump while carrying what he has grabbed.|
|Quick Throw||Kirby throws forward what he has grabbed.
|Throw Drop||Kirby air drops what he has grabbed.
|Crown Drop||Kirby backdrops what he has grabbed.
|Slamming Drill||Kirby slams down what he has grabbed while spinning like a drill.
|Beetle's Moveset in Kirby: Battle Royale|
|Skill||Button Execution||Skill||Button Execution|
|Horn Upper||Rocket Horn|
|Back Slash||Forward Lunge|
|Spiral Horn||Slamming Drill|
- Some of Beetle's moves are notably similar to the Suplex and Throw abilities. Also, Suplex is obtained from the mid-boss Bugzzy, who is similar in appearance to Hornhead.
- This is the fourth ability to give Kirby a unique flying animation. The others are Jet, Wing, and Cupid. Of these three, Cupid is the only one where flying doesn't damage enemies.
- The design of the Beetle hat is based on the Japanese Rhinoceros Beetle. It also takes a couple details from feudal samurai armor.
- In Kirby Fighters Deluxe, Beetle Kirby's Rare Outfit is Hydra the legendary machine from Kirby Air Ride.
- Beetle is one of the more versatile abilities in recent Kirby titles, being able to cut String Platforms and pound stakes, as well as providing an alternate means of flight. It can also be used in Kirby Star Allies to perform Friend Throw.
- Friend Throw's Japanese name, ブンナゲフレンズ, derives from ぶんなげ, the Japanese name of Beetle's 'Quick Throw' attack. This reference is kept in the Chinese version of Kirby Star Allies:
- Beetle's 'Quick Throw': 力投 (Power Throw)
- Friend Throw: 力投盟友 (Power Throw Friend)
Names in other languages
dú jiǎo xiān
|The Chinese name of Japanese rhinoceros beetle, which literally means "one-horned beetle".|