|Pay attention to the power gauge and watch the pendulum!|
— Instruction - Kirby Super Star
Megaton Punch is one of the sub-games in Kirby Super Star, and it later returned in Kirby Super Star Ultra as one of the two unlockable nostalgic sub-games, the other being Samurai Kirby. This mini-game pits Kirby against three opponents in a challenge to strike the blocks the hardest. Strong punches will crack much more than the targeted blocks, with even Pop Star being cracked (nearly in half). Up to two players can play the sub-game.
In Kirby Super Star Ultra, Megaton Punch was directly ported from the original release. The only difference from the original version is that two-player support was dropped, meaning only one player can play the game. Megaton Punch can be unlocked by defeating all 20 bosses and mid-bosses in The Arena.
A demo of Megaton Punch was also broadcast in the Japan exclusive Kirby's Toy Box.
Three levels of difficulty are offered with the only difference being how high the opponents will score. A set of three meters will determine the strength of the players' punch. The first is a rising and falling bar meter that gives a harder hit when activated at the top. Secondly, a pair of cross-hairs will rotate and occasionally blend together. Activating while the centers are overlapping yields the hardest punch. Lastly, a pendulum will swing past a targeted circle, which rewards a harder strike for activating while dead-center.
Kirby's three opponents will always be Bandana Waddle Dee, Knuckle Joe, and Iron Mam. At the end of each match, the opponents' force is compared in Mt. (metric tons, or Megatons if the title is relevant). Player's scores range from 2 Mt. to 201 Mt.
The following lists the CPU scores in 1-player mode.
|Level||Bandana Waddle Dee||Knuckle Joe||Iron Mam|
|1||151 Mt.||163 Mt.||168 Mt.|
|2||160 Mt.||168 Mt.||175 Mt.|
|3||167 Mt.||175 Mt.||186 Mt.|
- This Sub-Game marks the first appearance of Bandana Waddle Dee.
- The cracked Pop Star from Megaton Punch appears on a "FRAGILE" notice sticker for the "Wado's Toy Shop" merchandise.
- The Crackity Hack sub-game from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror shares a similar theme of rock crushing and is known as "Gigaton Punch" in the Japanese version.
- Mario, Luigi, Toad and Birdo from the Mario franchise can be seen in Kirby Super Star, to the left of Kirby, and the right of his opponent.
- There are also more Mario characters next to them, but they appear off screen.
Kirby against Bandana Waddle Dee in the first match
Kirby against Iron Mam in the third match
The Mario franchise cameos in the audience
Names in other languages
Kachiwari Megaton Panchi
|Crushing Megaton Punch|
|Kirby Super Star Ultra Menu|
Click on any posting