|Become a staff-wielding martial artist and mow down your enemies! The product of a strange land, this staff is the ultimate telescoping weapon that extends to let you pole-vault over obstacles.|
— Kirby Star Allies quote
The Staff ability gives Kirby a long stylized pole which can extend when performing certain attacks, giving Kirby a long reach. He can also use the staff like a gymnast's pole, performing attacks that send him into the air upon execution. Staff can also hit enemies and other objects through walls, as well as be used underwater.
Like other weapon abilities, Staff can be imbued with various elemental powers to increase power and get additional effects.
- Blizzard Staff can create icicles during attack; Spinning Staff drops four ice blocks.
- Bluster Staff can jump higher with Pole Vault; Spinning Staff keeps ascending instead of staying in the air.
- Sizzle Staff can create flames during attack; Spinning Staff drops four fireballs.
- Splash Staff can create splashes during attack; Spinning Staff summons a raincloud.
- Zap Staff can create lightning bolts during attack; Spinning Staff leaves an electric ball.
|Staff moveset in Kirby Star Allies|
|Jab||Kirby jabs forward with his staff.||18|
|Back Jab||Kirby jabs back with his staff.||18|
|Up Jab||Kirby jabs up with his staff.||12 (down)|
18 (up; does another 8 if close)
|L-R Jab||Kirby jabs both sides with his staff.||18|
|Raging Staff||Kirby swings his staff repeatedly.
20 (final swing)
|Pole Vault||Kirby uses his staff as a pole vault. Can hold B to jump higher.
||20 (up to 3 hits if close)|
|Unrelenting Staff||Kirby jabs rapidly with his staff diagonally down.
||20→5→2 (3rd hit onward)|
24 (final jab)
|Long Jab||Kirby extends his staff to jab forward.
|Super Long Jab||Kirby extends his staff to jab forward further.
|Spinning Staff||Kirby throws his spinning staff up.
||16→4→1 (3rd hit onward)|
|Staff Counter||Kirby counter-attacks by spinning his staff.
|Wet Jab||Underwater version of Jab.||18|
|Wet Up Jab||Underwater version of Up Jab.||18|
|Wet Down Jab||Kirby jabs down with his staff underwater.||18|
Kirby battles Mr. Frosty using Pole Vault.
- The design of the Staff ability is based on Sun Wukong, the Monkey King protagonist from the Chinese novel Journey to the West. Sun Wukong wields an extendable staff and wears a circlet design similar to that of Staff Kirby.
- The pause flavor text describes the Staff ability as "the product of a strange land". In the Japanese version, this line says "まかふしぎだよ い国のウェポン!" (What a makafushigi/mystical foreign weapon!). This could be a reference to "Makafushigi Adventure!", the opening theme song of the Dragon Ball anime. The Dragon Ball series is also inspired by Journey to the West.
- Staff is one of the few Copy Abilities and users with a counterattack.
Names in other languages
rú yì bàng
|Ruyi Bang, the Chinese name of Sun Wukong's staff|