- This article is about the Copy Ability that debuted in Kirby Star Allies, and should not be confused with Baton.
|Become a staff-wielding martial artist and mow down your enemies! The product of a strange land, this staff is the ultimate telescoping weapon that extends to let you pole-vault over obstacles.|
— Kirby Star Allies quote
Staff is a Copy Ability which gives Kirby a long stylized pole which can extend when performing certain attacks, giving Kirby a long reach. He can also use the staff like a gymnast's pole, performing attacks that send him into the air upon execution. Staff can also hit enemies and other objects through walls, as well as be used underwater. Staff is one of the few Copy Abilities with a counterattack move.
Kirby Star Allies
- Blizzard Staff can create icicles during attack; Spinning Staff drops four ice blocks.
- Bluster Staff can jump higher with Pole Vault; Spinning Staff keeps ascending instead of staying in the air.
- Sizzle Staff can create flames during attack; Spinning Staff drops four fireballs.
- Splash Staff can create splashes during attack; Spinning Staff summons a raincloud.
- Zap Staff can create lightning bolts during attack; Spinning Staff leaves an electric ball.
|Staff moveset in Kirby Star Allies|
|Jab||Kirby jabs forward with his staff.||18||22|
|Back Jab||Kirby jabs back with his staff.||18||22|
|Up Jab||Kirby jabs up with his staff.||12 (down)
18 (up; does another 8 if close)
22 (up; does another 10 if close)
|L-R Jab||Kirby jabs both sides with his staff.||18||22|
|Raging Staff||Kirby swings his staff repeatedly.
20 (final swing)
25 (final swing)
|Pole Vault||Kirby uses his staff as a pole vault. Can hold B to jump higher.
||20 (up to 3 hits if close)||25 (up to 3 hits if close)|
|Unrelenting Staff||Kirby jabs rapidly with his staff diagonally down.
||20→5→2 (3rd hit onward)
24 (final jab)
|25→6→2 (3rd hit onward)|
30 (final jab)
|Long Jab||Kirby extends his staff to jab forward.
|Super Long Jab||Kirby extends his staff to jab forward further.
|Spinning Staff||Kirby throws his spinning staff up.
||16→4→1 (3rd hit onward)||20→5→1 (3rd hit onward)|
|Staff Counter||Kirby counter-attacks by spinning his staff.
|Wet Jab||Underwater version of Jab.||18||N/A|
|Wet Up Jab||Underwater version of Up Jab.||18||N/A|
|Wet Down Jab||Kirby jabs down with his staff underwater.||18||N/A|
Kirby Fighters 2
Staff returns in Kirby Fighters 2 as one of the selectable abilities for Kirby. Along with Sword and Bomb, it is one of the starter abilities, meaning it does not need to be unlocked. Its move-set is the same as in Kirby Star Allies, though the underwater attacks have been removed (due to there being no water in the game).
|Staff move-set in Kirby Fighters 2|
|Skill||Button Execution||Description||Damage (unmodified)|
|Jab||Kirby performs a quick horizontal thrust with his staff at decent range.||10|
|Back Jab||Kirby performs a long horizontal thrust behind himself after a regular Jab.||12|
|Up Jab||Kirby performs a quick vertical thrust with his staff, hitting high above him. This attack can also hit grounded targets nearby.||14 (if both hits connect)|
|L-R Jab||Kirby extends his staff out horizontally in both directions.||13|
|Raging Staff||Kirby swings his staff three times horizontally, then finishes with a long overhead swipe.||20 (if all hits connect) |
30 (including the initial Jab)
|Pole Vault||Kirby throws his staff down and uses it to pole vault along the ground. Holding B upon landing allows Kirby to launch himself with the staff.||3 (if hit with tip of staff) |
2 (if hit with shaft)
|Unrelenting Staff||After launching using Pole Vault, Kirby repeatedly strikes diagonally downward with his staff, finishing with a big thrust that sends foes flying.||30 (if all hits connect)|
|Long Jab||Kirby thrusts with his staff with extra long distance.||16|
|Super Long Jab||Kirby charges up, then releases a very long thrust which knocks opponents away.||26|
|Spinning Staff||Kirby tosses his staff upward as it spins, carrying opponents with it.||34 (if all hits connect)|
|Staff Counter||Kirby makes a special pose. If an enemy hits him during this pose, Kirby will take no damage and instead counterattack by swiping with his staff.||23|
- The design of the Staff ability is based on Sun Wukong, the Monkey King protagonist from the Chinese novel Journey to the West. Sun Wukong wields an extendable staff and wears a circlet design similar to that of Staff Kirby.
- The pause flavor text describes the Staff ability as "the product of a strange land". In the Japanese version, this line says "まかふしぎだよ い国のウェポン!" (What a makafushigi/mystical foreign weapon!). This could be a reference to "Makafushigi Adventure!", the opening theme song of the Dragon Ball anime. The Dragon Ball series is also inspired by Journey to the West.
Ability Star from Kirby Star Allies
Kirby battles Mr. Frosty using Pole Vault.
Artwork from Kirby Fighters 2 of a rare hat based on Zan Partizanne
Names in other languages
rú yì bàng
|Ruyi Bang, the Chinese name of Sun Wukong's staff|