Rolling Turtle attacks in two different ways. It can either curl up and roll toward Kirby, or toss smaller turtles at him which can be inhaled. At any point during the fight, if Kirby gets too close to Rolling Turtle, it will grab him, rock him back-and-forth, then release him to deal damage.
In Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, Rolling Turtle is replaced by a different opponent for unknown reasons, similarly to Bounder and Togezo. In Rolling Turtle's case, its replacement is the elephant-like Mid-Boss Phan Phan. Rolling Turtle is the only Mid-Boss that is replaced between Kirby's Adventure and its remake.
Rolling Turtle has two variants that it can appear in. The first is just its regular green form that appears in most stages. The second is a red variant that is exclusive to the secret path in Rainbow Resort - Stage 2. This version is quicker, making it harder to defeat. Rolling Turtle appears in the following stages in Kirby's Adventure: (Star Bullet=10 damage)
- Grape Garden - Stage 4: 30 HP (green)
- Orange Ocean - Stage 1: 30 HP (floor covered with water) (green)
- Rainbow Resort - Stage 2: 30 HP (Tower of Mid-Bosses) (green)
- Rainbow Resort - Stage 2: 30 HP (Tower of Mid-Bosses Secret Pathway) (red)
- Rolling Turtle's replacement in the series may be due to its strong resemblance to the television character Gachapin.
- In F-Zero GX, one of the newly-introduced F-Zero Machines is named after Rolling Turtle.
Kirby going up against Rolling Turtle in Orange Ocean - Stage 1
Names in other languages
- Rocha, Garitt, and Nick von Esmarch. Playing With Power: Nintendo NES Classics. Pages 301, 307, 313.