Extra Game (also known as Extra Mode) is an additional version of some games amongst the Kirby series, sometimes unlocked by a code, or beating the game. First appearing in Kirby's Dream Land, the Extra Game is meant to give the player an increased challenge.
- 1 Game Changes
- 1.1 Kirby's Dream Land
- 1.2 Kirby's Adventure
- 1.3 Kirby's Dream Course
- 1.4 Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble
- 1.5 Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
- 1.6 Kirby: Canvas Curse
- 1.7 Kirby: Squeak Squad
- 1.8 Kirby Super Star Ultra
- 1.9 Kirby's Return to Dream Land
- 1.10 Kirby: Triple Deluxe
- 1.11 Kirby: Planet Robobot
- 1.12 Kirby Star Allies
- 1.13 Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
- 2 Trivia
Kirby's Dream Land
By pressing ↑, A, and Select together on the title screen, the player can access a harder Dream Land with new enemies and better AI, such as Waddle Dees moving faster and jumping at Kirby and Parasols going after Kirby. The changes in enemies include:
- Every Dizzy turns into a Benny.
- Every Shotzo turns into a Blatzy.
- Every Cappy turns into a Blopper.
- Every Sir Kibble turns into a Boomer.
- Every Puffy turns into a Cawcun.
- Every Squishy turns into a Flotzo.
- Every Booler turns into a Gaspar.
- Every Kabu turns into a Grumples.
- Every Chuckie turns into a Hurly.
- Every Bronto Burt turns into a Koozer.
- Every Two Face turns into a Mr. P. Umpkin.
- Every Wizzer turns into a Peezer.
- Every Mumbies turns into a Skuller.
- Every Twizzy turns into a Tookey.
- Every Kookler turns into a Whiskers.
For the most part, these altered enemies act the same as their normal counterparts, but deal twice as much damage. In addition, Gordos remain unaltered in appearance, but now deal three bars of damage. Finally, every boss and mid-boss has different and generally tougher attack patterns, or are faster.
By activating all the Big Switches located in certain levels and then beating the game, Extra Game is unlocked, which does not allow saving and allots Kirby only three pieces of health, as opposed to the usual six. There are no major changes made in the game, the enemies' AI isn't changed, the enemies all look the same, and all the places Kirby visits look exactly the same. Due to the reduced health bar, however, Energy Drinks only restore 1 hit point now. Upon completing this mode with all the switches pressed, the Sound Test is unlocked.
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble
After all 32 Red Stars are collected and the game is completed, the Extra Stage is unlocked. The following changes present in the Extra Stage are as follows:
- Stages start with less time.
- The Orbservor in Level 2 is replaced with the one in Level 4 and vice versa.
- Key locations have been changed.
- Some enemies and clouds move faster.
- Bumpers are added to some stages.
- There are mines scattered around stages which not only deal damage but fling Kirby into the air.
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Much like in the original version, to unlock this mode, complete the game and press all the Big Switches. This time, however, the player can save in this game, but Kirby still has 3 hit points to deal with. When this mode is completed 100%, the second Extra Game, Meta Knightmare, is unlocked from the Sub-Games menu.
- Main article: Meta Knightmare
In Meta Knightmare the Sub-Game, the player plays as Meta Knight and traverses all the levels in the game as fast as possible. The game keeps track of and saves the time taken, to be displayed at the end of the run. Like in the normal Extra Game, Meta Knight only has 3 hit points. It is also not possible to save the game, and Meta Knight obviously cannot utilize any Copy Abilities. To compensate for this, however, Meta Knight is given his sword and his wings to traverse the land.
Kirby: Canvas Curse
- Main article: Rainbow Run
Rainbow Run is an extra game in Kirby: Canvas Curse. Within it, Kirby competes for medals by entering Time Trials and Line Trials. Time trials require for Kirby to reach the end of the second room in a limited amount of time, while line trials require Kirby to get to the end of the room by using the least amount of ink possible. It features 7 levels and a Special Course which is not found in the storyline to replace The World of Drawcia. Stages are selected by spinning the wheel and opting for any of the 7 levels. From the hub screen any hex shaped icon can be tapped to view high scores or open the option for the two trials pertaining to that stage. In each stage of the 7 levels, there are two designated rooms from the world in the storyline. The Special Course has its stages focus on the copy abilities: Stone, Wheel, Missile, and Balloon. Unlike time and line trials, there is a Course A and a Course B for each ability, both of which have a line and a time challenge. The stages in the levels can be played in Rainbow Run once they are unlocked in the storyline, while stages in the special course must be unlocked by swapping medals.
Kirby: Squeak Squad
|Move quickly to collect all the treasure chests!|
— Extra Mode caption from Kirby: Squeak Squad
The extra game in Kirby: Squeak Squad is titled Extra Mode (or just Extra from the menu) and is unlocked after completing the main game. In this mode, Kirby is challenged to complete every stage in the main game and collect every Treasure Chest as quickly as possible. The following differences exist between the main game and Extra Mode:
- A global timer counts up while Kirby is inside a stage. When not in a stage, the timer stands still.
- At the end of each stage, the game displays the time it took to clear the stage, and the overall time. Repeating a stage only adds to the global time, so stages cannot be repeated to potentially lower the total.
- After completing all stages in a level with all treasure chests obtained, the game shows the total time it took to complete the level.
- All levels are unlocked immediately from the start, but stages must still be unlocked in sequence within each one.
- All external cut-scenes are removed.
The game ends once all 120 treasure chests have been collected, and a total score is given. Progress cannot be saved, so the game must be completed in one sitting.
Kirby Super Star Ultra
- Main article: Meta Knightmare Ultra
The Extra Game in this mode is known as Meta Knightmare Ultra, and has Meta Knight playing through the events of every main game mode (except Gourmet Race and Revenge of the King) in one long time attack run. At the end of the game, instead of fighting Marx, Meta Knight fights an ancient warrior called Galacta Knight, who up to that point had been sealed away for fear of him being too powerful.
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Once the Normal Game reaches 70% completion, the Extra Mode opens up, which plays like the Normal Game, but with the following changes:
- Stamina of all characters is cut by 40%. The bar is colored green and only reaches half-way across the portrait to illustrate this.
- Many items, including Point Stars and 1-Ups have a different design.
- There are more enemies, and they move and attack faster, with some being different sizes and/or having increased stamina.
- Key Dee runs faster.
- Super Ability timers run out faster.
- Alternate Dimension rift walls are red, and move faster.
- All bosses and mid-bosses possess different color schemes (with some having additional visual changes), and are generally tougher with new and different attack patterns.
- A completely new boss, HR-D3, is added directly after defeating Metal General EX.
- All Challenge Stages are tougher.
- The cinematic leading up to the final fight with Magolor features an additional scene where he changes to the color scheme used in the EX fight.
- The game's credit sequence has different gameplay snapshots, adorned with golden frames, and credit sections feature Kirby portraits like the ones seen in the credits for Kirby Super Star.
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
- Main article: Dededetour!
Dededetour! the Extra Game is distinct in this iteration, in that it is played with King Dedede instead of Kirby. Officially known as Dededetour!, and serving as the spiritual successor to Meta Knightmare, Dedede plays through the stages in one long time attack run, (modified to accommodate his move-set) he battles harder versions of all the bosses and mid-bosses up to the end of Royal Road, and fights a different set of bosses at the end of the game.
Unlike the Main Game, there are no Sun Stones to collect and very few Food items. Dedede must simply try to finish his run as quickly as he can. If he enters certain side chambers where the Sun Stones would be in Kirby's playthrough, he can either obtain some collectibles (usually food and 1Ups) or find a warp shortcut to reach the end faster.
Kirby: Planet Robobot
- Main article: Meta Knightmare Returns
The extra game in this title is known officially as Meta Knightmare Returns, and stars Meta Knight. It plays similarly to Dededetour!, though it also takes cues from Meta Knightmare Ultra and has Meta Knight take on the game in a long time attack run, fighting stronger versions of the bosses in the process. Some bosses from Story Mode are omitted, with Meta Knight instead fighting a trio of different bosses in sequence after defeating President Haltmann 2.0.
Kirby Star Allies
Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!
- Main article: Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!
The extra game in this title is called Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!. It is a time attack game featuring one of the Friends, who makes their way through the stages and recruits allies without Kirby's help. At the end, the allies fight a new warrior named Morpho Knight.
Heroes in Another Dimension
- Main article: Heroes in Another Dimension
The final major update to the game added a new extra mode called Heroes in Another Dimension which offers a challenging romp through stages set in Another Dimension culminating in fights against more powerful parallel bosses.
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
- Main article: Devilish Mode
Exclusive to Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn is the option of selecting the Devilish Mode when entering stages. In this mode, Kirby is tasked with getting to the end of the stage as normal, but is being constantly harassed by Devils, who will cause him to lose Life Pieces when hit. If Kirby is hit five times, he will be forced to restart the stage.
- The Extra Game command for Kirby's Dream Land (↑, A, and Select together) is reprised as the Soul Melter EX command (↑, A, and - together) for The Ultimate Choice in Kirby Star Allies.
- In Nintendo Switch Online - Nintendo Entertainment System, there is a special version of Kirby's Adventure with both Extra Game and Sound Test already unlocked.