|“||Press the buttons to make Kirby's mouth open! Try to eat eggs--but not bombs!||”|
— Start caption
Egg Catcher is a Sub-Game in Kirby's Adventure (not in Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land) and Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe. In the former, it can be accessed on certain levels by going through the appropriate doorways in the Level hubs, while in the latter, it can be accessed via Merry Magoland or in the Lor Starcutter (though playing it in the Lor requires 40 Energy Spheres). The game takes place in King Dedede's boxing ring. Kirby is standing in the ring, while Dedede (Robo Dedede in Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe) appears on the ropes, and begins chucking eggs and bombs at Kirby. The objective of the game is to swallow as many eggs as possible and avoid swallowing a bomb, which causes the game to end early. To play the game, the player must merely hold down A or B to keep Kirby's mouth open, and release it to close his mouth.
There are three difficulty settings for this game, those being "Easy", "Medium", and "Challenging". Each difficulty features a different pattern of eggs and bombs which are thrown, with higher difficulties making it generally more difficult to avoid bombs while also getting eggs. While in Kirby's Adventure, Egg Catcher was one player only, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe features gameplay for up to four players simultaneously, with the winner being whoever caught the most eggs.
In Kirby's Adventure, the reward obtained for Egg Catcher depends on how many eggs were swallowed. It does not matter if the game ends with a bomb blast or not, in this regard. The reward thresholds are as follows:
- 0 eggs - no bonus
- 1 - 6 eggs - 500 points
- 7 - 12 eggs - 1000 points
- 13 - 18 eggs - 3000 points
- 19 - 24 eggs - 5000 points
- 25 - 29 eggs - 1-Up
- 30 eggs (Perfect) - 3-Up
In Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, there are eight Missions for this Sub-Game. They are as follows:
- Freshly Hatched Catcher - Play Egg Catcher for the first time.
- Catch 10 Eggs on Level 1 - Catch at least 10 eggs in a single game on Level 1.
- Double Dedede Doppelgänger - Play while wearing the King Dedede dress-up mask.
- Consistent Catches on Level 2 - Catch at least 15 eggs in a row in a single game on Level 2.
- Catch 20 Eggs on Level 3 - Catch at least 20 eggs in a single game on Level 3.
- 100 Total Eggs Caught - Catch a grand total of 100 or more eggs.
- Clear All Difficulties - Win on all difficulty settings. (Level 1 / Level 2 / Level 3)
- King Catcher - Complete all other missions for Egg Catcher.
Once all 100 regular missions are completed, one final mission related to this Sub-Game is unlocked, as part of the "True Extra Missions" category:
- Keep on Catchin' (Level 3) - Catch 28 or more eggs on Level 3 of Egg Catcher.
- In the Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe version, Meta Knight and Bandana Waddle Dee use baskets to catch eggs, since they don't have usable mouths like Kirby and King Dedede. In addition, all characters but King Dedede stand on platforms to compensate for King Dedede's relatively large proportions, so as to unify the height of the characters' mouths and baskets (and by extension the location where eggs and bombs would land for each character).
- Also in the Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe version, if any player gets a perfect score of 30 eggs, their Robo Dedede explodes and can be seen malfunctioning in the background of the results screen. The only exception to this is during a Magoland Tour.
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Fijnproeverei||Pun on "fijnproverij" (fine tasting) and "ei" (egg)|
From gobber (to gobble) and oeuf (egg).
|German||Eiderdotte||Derived from "Ei der Daus" (exclamation of surprise), "Ei" (egg) and "Dotter" (yolk)|
|Portuguese||Papa Ovo||Egg Eater|
- Nintendo DREAM June 2023 interview