- This article is about the Copy Ability. For the hazard in Kirby: Canvas Curse and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, see Laser (hazard).
Laser is an occasionally-occurring Copy Ability traditionally obtained by swallowing enemies like Laser Ball and Metal Guardian. It allows Kirby to fire laser beams which can quickly strike opponents from a distance for moderate damage. Kirby can only fire these beams horizontally, but in every game it appears, the Laser shot ricochets off of slanted terrain, which is useful for solving puzzles, such as striking Bomb Blocks overhead. The ability can also be used to light cannon fuses, even those that are underwater, which is the intended solution for a particular puzzle in the Orange Ocean level in Kirby's Adventure and Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land. When obtaining this ability, Kirby gains a pair of futuristic goggles with an unevenly large glass reticle inset, which he briefly lowers over his eyes when he is ready to shoot a laser. In Kirby's Adventure, however, Kirby shoots this laser from his hand instead.
Kirby's Adventure / Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
In Kirby's Adventure, the debut game of this ability, Laser Kirby fires laser beams from his hand.
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
The Laser ability appears in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror with the exact same sprites and properties of the Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land version.
Each Laser shot deals only 2 damage in this game, rather weak compared to other ability's powers. Many enemies will take multiple Laser shots to be defeated. The Laser ability can be obtained from Laser Ball and its larger equivalent, Metal Guardian.
Kirby: Squeak Squad
The Laser ability's last appearance is in Kirby: Squeak Squad. It still remains the sprites, properties and custom color mechanics from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror.
After obtaining its Ability Scroll, Laser Kirby can charge his shot into a bigger and more powerful beam that can pass through multiple targets. Here, Laser can also be gained from the bubble item and the laser pointer dropped by Doc.
|Laser's moveset in Kirby: Squeak Squad|
|Charge Laser Shot||
|Basic unit: Star Bullet deals 40 damage in Kirby: Squeak Squad.|
|Kirby's Adventure||Kirby can fire a laser beam! This beam will bounce off slopes, so try it in many places!|
|Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land & Kirby & The Amazing Mirror||-Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation-
And it ricochets off hills, too!
|Kirby: Squeak Squad||OPTICAL WEAPON ARMED
It's rumored to be a bigger beam than it used to be.
- In Kirby's Dream Land 3, when Kirby's Spark ability is combined with ChuChu, she attacks by firing laser beams from her tentacle, which can also ricochet off slopes.
- In the English version of Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, Laser's pause flavor text shows what LASER the acronym originally means: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. In the Japanese version of these games, the original pause flavor text says -光学兵器搭載-, which is the same phrase as Optical Weapon Armed from Laser's pause flavor text in the English version of Kirby: Squeak Squad.
- In the Japanese version of Kirby: Squeak Squad, the phrase becomes -光化学兵器搭載- instead (Photochemistry Weapon Armed).
- In the Super Smash Bros. series, Kirby can use a similar ability when he copies R.O.B., gaining a laser attack that can rebound off of floors and ceilings, but not walls.
Official Kirby Portal video showcasing Laser
Names in other languages