From WiKirby, your independent source of Kirby knowledge.
Freeze is a Copy Ability in the Kirby series that has similar properties to Ice. Freeze is a barrier technique ability, which means Kirby surrounds himself in the ability's element while using it and cannot move while doing so. In all games it appears in, Freeze is primarily obtained from swallowing Chilly, as well as the Mid-Boss Mr. Frosty; if Freeze does not appear in a game, these opponents yield the Ice ability instead. Freeze does not give Kirby a distinctive outfit or hat in most of the games it appears in, but in Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and Kirby Air Ride, Kirby gains a blue parka, nearly identical to the one he gains when copying the Ice Climbers in the Super Smash Bros. games.
In Kirby Super Star and its remake, as well as Kirby's Return to Dream Land and subsequent titles, Freeze is not an ability, but a move integrated into the Ice copy ability that acts exactly the same, known as Ice Storm.
Kirby's Adventure / Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Using the Freeze ability on an enemy in Kirby's Adventure
Freeze makes its debut appearance along with Ice in Kirby's Adventure. It can be obtained from Chilly or Mr. Frosty.
Kirby's Dream Course
In Kirby's Dream Course, Freeze is used to freeze water into ice so Kirby can move across it more easily. The ice turns back into water when the turn is over. The ability also reduces Kirby's traction while rolling on the ground, allowing him to slide further. This ability is only obtained from Chilly.
Kirby Air Ride
||Freeze allows you to freeze rivals and enemies by pressing A. Frozen enemies will explode and frozen rivals will be immobilized!
— Kirby Air Ride North American instruction booklet, page 40
Freeze returns in Kirby Air Ride, making its only 3-D appearance in this title. When Kirby collects this ability, he gains the power to conjure a freezing aura around himself whenever he is charging a boost. This aura will damage any foes around him, though its usefulness can be hampered with certain Air Ride Machines.
Kirby: Canvas Curse
In Kirby: Canvas Curse, Kirby can get the Freeze ability from a Chilly. When Kirby is tapped with this ability, he slides across the ground and creates an icy aura which freezes enemies. The resulting ice block can then be knocked away and defeat enemies that end up in its path. The icy aura can also destroy certain blocks.
Kirby's Dream Course manual
- "This lets you freeze the surface of the water, allowing Kirby to slide over it."
- Although the ability does not appear in Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Kirby's Dream Land 3, combining the Ice ability with Rick in these games results in a power that behaves nearly identically to Freeze.
- Freeze is one of various abilities in the Kirby series that have been fused into a different ability in certain games; others are Burning, which is now part of the Fire ability, and Plasma, which was merged into Spark in Kirby's Return to Dream Land (though it put in a standalone appearance in Kirby Star Allies).
- Freeze's hat appears as alternate headgear for the Ice ability in Kirby Battle Royale. As a result, Freeze was not available to vote for in the game's Copy Ability polls.
- Freeze Kirby's costume resembles a blue parka, similar to his appearance when he absorbs the Ice Climbers' abilities in the Super Smash Bros games.
Icon from Kirby's Adventure
Icon from Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Icon from Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Icons from Kirby: Canvas Curse
Keychain from Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Names in other languages
From "프리즈 커비"(Freeze Kirby) Keychain.