- This article is about the ability from Kirby's Adventure and Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land. For the similar move from later games, see Suplex.
Backdrop is a Copy Ability from Kirby's Adventure/Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, obtainable by swallowing Bugzzy. It is similar to the Throw, Suplex and Fighter abilities. With it, Kirby can grab an enemy or other object, and then use one of four different types of wrestling-style slams to defeat them, depending on which way the player taps on the D-pad. He is very strong with the ability, being able to stop bullets and lift defeated mid-bosses. Additionally, Kirby appears with the ability on the game cartridge of Nightmare in Dream Land.
Backdrop does not have names for its attacks. However, the following moves can be performed with this ability:
- B - Lunge forward and grab an enemy or object. Kirby will stagger for a bit if he misses.
- (after grabbing opponent or object)
- B or → - Jumps forward and slams the opponent into the ground.
- ↑ - Jumps upward and performs a "back breaker" technique on the enemy.
- ← - Dives backward with the enemy and slams them to the ground.
- ↓ - Jumps high into the air and then slams the opponent to the ground.
- (in mid-air) - Tosses the enemy diagonally downward and forward to the ground. This happens automatically after grabbing.
Backdrop cannot be used to grab Bosses or Mid-Bosses unless the latter have been downed. It can be used to grab Recoil Stars however, which can then be used to attack these foes by collateral collision.
|Kirby's Adventure||Kirby can use a powerful wrestling technique, the back drop, to defeat his opponents!|
|Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land||Whoo-HAAH! Once I grab a foe, throw him with + (Control Pad)!|
- Backdrop and Suplex are extremely similar, though the latter has more moves, and is also provided by Bugzzy. It can be presumed that Suplex has permanently replaced this ability.
- The look that Kirby has when he possesses the Backdrop ability is similar to the one he has with the Fighter ability.
- Kirby's forward and back throws in the Super Smash Bros. series appear to be based on the Backdrop ability.
artwork from Kirby's Adventure
Names in other languages