Green Greens (theme)
Green Greens is among the first pieces of music composed for the Kirby series, first appearing as the theme for the Green Greens stage in Kirby's Dream Land, and reappearing in several games since then. It has been remixed, re-orchestrated, and remastered several times throughout the series, including being incorporated into other themes and tracks. Even as such, however, it can often still be heard in its original form in many titles, particularly as an easter egg in HAL Rooms, or in trailers for the games.
- 1 Game Appearances
- 1.1 Kirby's Dream Land
- 1.2 Kirby's Adventure / Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
- 1.3 Kirby's Pinball Land
- 1.4 Kirby Super Star (Ultra)
- 1.5 Super Smash Bros. Melee
- 1.6 Kirby Air Ride
- 1.7 Kirby: Squeak Squad
- 1.8 Kirby's (Extra) Epic Yarn
- 1.9 Kirby Mass Attack
- 1.10 Kirby's Return to Dream Land
- 1.11 Kirby's Dream Collection
- 1.12 Kirby: Triple Deluxe
- 1.13 Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
- 1.14 Kirby: Planet Robobot
- 1.15 Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and Super Kirby Clash
- 1.16 Kirby Battle Royale
- 1.17 Kirby Star Allies
- 2 Other Appearances
Kirby's Dream Land
As mentioned above, the Green Greens theme is the stage music for Green Greens, from which it gets its name. This original version was composed by Jun Ishikawa, who has since gone on to compose much of the music for the series.
Kirby's Adventure / Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
In Adventure and its remake, the original version of the theme reappears in throwback stage Rainbow Resort - Stage 6.
Kirby's Pinball Land
The Green Greens theme is reused in the Poppy Brothers' Land Pinball Land.
Kirby Super Star (Ultra)
This theme was also incorporated into The Great Cave Offensive theme for the Crystal and Garden areas. This version is notable for being a slower paced version when compared to the original, and also for featuring an extended melody that would later be used in multiple other remixes of the theme.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
On the Green Greens stage, an orchestral version of the Green Greens theme plays, which incorporates the end theme of Milky Way Wishes into it. This particular version of the theme would later reappear in Kirby Air Ride, and much later, Kirby: Planet Robobot and Kirby Star Allies.
Kirby Air Ride
The Green Greens arrangement from Kirby Super Star is reused as the alternate track for the Fantasy Meadows course.
A remix of the Green Greens theme plays when the "Out of Control Machines" event is in effect in the City Trial mode. This remix, named City Trial: Rowdy Charge Tank, is notably similar to the "Kirby's Air Grind" version from Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land.
Kirby: Squeak Squad
A different, more heroic sounding, and heavily remixed version of the theme plays in the last stage of the game, Gamble Galaxy - Stage 3. It take various melody liberties, but predominantly features the first half of the Green Greens theme.
Kirby's (Extra) Epic Yarn
The Green Greens theme makes a full reappearance in the Whispy's Forest stage. It is rearranged using instrumentation similar to other tracks in the game, with piano being the most prominent instrument used.
Kirby Mass Attack
Three different arrangements of the Green Greens theme play in three distinct cutscenes:
- The first, called Rainbow Riches, plays in the cutscene that plays after gathering all Rainbow Medals, and unlocking the final level of the game, Necro Nebula.
- The second, called Eerie Island, plays in the cutscene that shows the Kirbys heading towards Necro Nebula, and getting attacked by Skullys.
- The third, called Down to One, plays in the cutscene after defeating Necrodeus, when the Kirbys use his magic staff to become one Kirby again. This version starts with Kirby's Triumphant Return, but quickly switches to the Green Greens theme.
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
A different remix of the Green Greens theme, very similar to the Super Star arrangement, even with a strikingly similar soundfont, plays in the Item Challenge Challenge Stage, and in the game's HAL Rooms.
Kirby's Dream Collection
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
The Green Greens theme is remixed in a fairly relaxed matter to serve as the world map theme in Triple Deluxe, featuring the extended melody of the song that first appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee. This version has the same title as the original song, Green Greens, and is arranged by Hirokazu Ando.
Revenge of the Enemy, the boss revenge battle theme of the game, incorporates in Green Greens theme in its second half.
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
The Green Greens theme is present in many songs of the game:
- The menu's theme, titled Main Menu, is a simple arrangement of the theme.
- The game's tutorial theme, Learn the Controls!, is a very light arrangement of the theme, with the main melody being played with a flute and a guitar, and an original intro with an harp.
- The theme that plays when viewing the Secret Diary, named Reading the Secret Diary, is a relaxed sounding arrangement of the theme, primarily featuring a flute and guitar. It's notably very similar to the Learn the Controls! version.
- Deploy the Kirby Tank!, the music that plays in the level of the same name when Kirby has the Kirby Tank transformation, is a remix of the theme, featuring the extended medley from the "Crystal Field Area" version from Kirby Super Star.
- Claycia's battle theme, Decisive Battle, features a short segment of the Green Greens theme right at the end.
- A fairly simple Green Greens remix can be unlocked and then played in the game's Sound Test.
- Finally, the theme is the last song featured in the unlockable Kirby Medley track.
Kirby: Planet Robobot
A remix of the Green Greens theme, with some small changes to its melodic structure, plays in sections of Patched Plains - Stage 2 and Patched Plains - Stage 3. This version is called Re: Green Greens, and is arranged by Hirokazu Ando.
The City Trial: Rowdy Charge Tank arrangement from Kirby Air Ride is reused in Patched Plains - Stage 6 EX.
The throwback Green Greens theme arrangement from Kirby's Return to Dream Land is reused in the first level of the Sub-Game Kirby 3D Rumble.
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and Super Kirby Clash
The alternate staff roll theme from Kirby: Triple Deluxe is remixed in the player's Profile menu, and in the results screen after finishing a quest.
Another remix plays during certain cutscenes, such as the opening; the remix is titled グリーンストーリーズ (Green Stories) on Kirby Star Allies: The Original Soundtrack.
In Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, the theme is featured as part of a medley in both of the staff credits themes.
Kirby Battle Royale
The first section of the Green Greens theme is remixed to serve as the theme that plays in the game's Training mode.
Kirby Star Allies
The Green Greens theme makes multiple appearances in Star Allies:
- The theme of first level of the game, Green Gardens, is a simple arrangement of the theme, notably very similar to the Re: Green Greens version from Kirby: Planet Robobot, just with different instrumentation. This version is arranged by Hirokazu Ando.
- The original version from Kirby's Dream Land is reused in Extra Eclair.
- The theme of the final level, The Divine Terminus, is a slow-paced, sinister sounding remix of the Green Greens theme, that predominantly features violins. This version is also arranged by Hirokazu Ando. On Kirby Star Allies: The Original Soundtrack, it is called 夢と新緑の残痕地 (Land of Dreams and Greenery’s Remains).
- The theme of the fourth phase of the battle against Void Termina opens up with an electric guitar cover of the Green Greens theme. This track is arranged by Hirokazu Ando once again, and is called 組曲：星羅征く旅人 第四楽章：生誕の希望 (Suite: The Star Conquering Traveler - Fourth Movement: Hope of Birth) on the Original Soundtrack.
- When battling against Void, a variation of this track plays, which features the Green Greens theme even more, going as far as to feature the original version of the track in chiptune. This version is called 組曲：星羅征く旅人 最終楽章：煌めき星 (Suite: The Star Conquering Traveler - Final Movement: Sparkling Star) on the Original Soundtrack.
- The Ultimate Choice's title screen theme is an intense remix of the theme, primarily featuring electric guitars, trumpets, and drums. It is arranged by Yuuta Ogasawara, and is titled お好み究極チョイス味 (Choosing the Ultimate Choice’s Flavor) on the Original Soundtrack.
- At the very end of Extra Planet δ, a Big Switch can be pressed to make a giant golden statue of Kirby appear in the background. As the statue rises, the player's controller (if it has HD Rumble) will rumble in a way that it actually plays the first portion of the Green Greens theme, entirely separate from the game's audio.
The theme has been performed live using an orchestra, most prominently in the Kirby 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert, as part of the opening theme Kirby's 25th Anniversary: Grand Opening, and of the Kirby Super Star Medley, due to it featuring the "Crystal Field Area" version of the theme.
The theme is also featured at the beginning of the bonus track ステージメドレー／アコースティックver. (Stage Medley / Acoustic Ver.) of the Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe Original Soundtrack. It sounds very similar to the Epic Yarn remix, though it was released beforehand.