Super Abilities are exaggerated and powerful forms of normal Copy Abilities. Super Abilities are rather rare, and can be obtained by swallowing "super" enemies or defeating a mid-boss that holds the Super Ability (currently the only mid-boss that holds a Super Ability is Super Bonkers).
Super Abilities are present primarily at the end of a stage, and allow Kirby to destroy large obstacles, activate large switches, and defeat several enemies on the screen; destroying these times and activating switches often open up the path that Kirby must follow. All Super Abilities are timed, meaning the Kirby will lose the Super Ability when the time runs out. In instances where a super ability is present, there will always be a final obstacle that needs to be reached and destroyed or activated. Upon doing so, a rift to an alternate dimension is opened, where Kirby may obtain two additional Energy Spheres from defeating the Sphere Doomer in the alternate dimension after surviving a scrolling obstacle course.
All Super Ability enemies (excluding Super Bonkers) can be regenerated after defeat if Kirby goes left so the platform the enemy stands on is off the screen, the enemy will come back to it's original location. Kirby can get a new Super Ability for further use.
|Super Abilities in Kirby's Return to Dream Land|
|Flare Beam||Super Waddle Doo||This is a super version of the Beam ability.|
It allows Kirby to freely control an electric ball that can destroy star-marked enemies and obstacles as well as electrify light switches.
|Grand Hammer||Super Bonkers||This is a super version of the Hammer ability.|
It gives Kirby three stages of charge to hammer down large stakes and produce shockwaves. This is currently the only super ability to be obtained from a Mid-Boss.
|Monster Flame||Super Hot Head||This is a super version of the Fire ability.|
It gives Kirby the ability to summon a fiery dragon that flies horizontally and and destroys star-marked enemies and obstacles on its way.
|Snow Bowl||Super Chilly||This is a super version of the Ice ability.|
It gives Kirby the ability to become a large snowball that can roll and jump, destroying star-marked enemies and obstacles on his way.
|Ultra Sword||Super Blade Knight||This is a super version of the Sword ability.|
It gives Kirby a large sword (with several variations) that can destroy star-marked enemies and obstacles.
Enemies/obstacles that require Super Abilities
These enemies/obstacles are marked with stars on their body. Inside the brackets are the Super Abilities required.
- Beam Lamp (Beam Mage)
- Bomb Machine (Monster Flame)
- Burner Box (Grand Hammer)
- Drill Machine (Monster Flame)
- Fire Majin Statue* (Grand Hammer)
- Giant Flotzo* (Monster Flame)
- Giant Ice Pin (Snow Bowl)
- Giant Magma Pin (Snow Bowl)
- Giant Spring* (Grand Hammer)
- Merman Statue* (Monster Flame)
- Moai Block (Beam Mage)
- Surprise Box* (Grand Hammer)
- Wire Box* (Beam Mage)
* names are conjectural translations.
Bosses that require Super Abilities
In Main and Extra Mode, Grand Doomer and Magolor will be equipped with pieces of shield when their health is almost fully depleted, which require the Super Abilities obtained from the spawned enemies to destroy. Ultra Sword is always the last Super Ability to deal the final blow to them.
Later, Magolor Soul is able to use his own version of Super Abilities. Snow Bowl is absent in his arsenal but his Grand Hammer (Extra and The True Arena only) is given the Ice element. Kirby doesn't require Super Abilities to defeat Magolor Soul, however.
The following images are official artwork of Kirby when he obtains a Super Ability.
- There are models of a "Super Cutter" hat in the game, but it is believed to have been cut during development, possibly due to resemblances to Ultra Sword. There are also icons for a "Super Spark" ability. This could have been cut due to similarities with Flare Beam.
- Monster Flame and Snow Bowl are the only Super Abilities that don't have the normal counterpart's name in them.
- Ultra Sword and Snow Bowl are the only Super Abilities whose names don't have any change in the English localization.
- Excluding boss battles, each Super Ability appears exactly three times in the stages.
- Flare Beam: Raisin Ruins - Stage 2, Nutty Noon - Stage 2, Egg Engines - Stage 3.
- Grand Hammer: White Wafers - Stage 2, Nutty Noon - Stage 4, Dangerous Dinner - Stage 2.
- Monster Flame: Cookie Country - Stage 4, Onion Ocean - Stage 3, Egg Engines - Stage 1
- Snow Bowl: Onion Ocean - Stage 1, White Wafers - Stage 4, Dangerous Dinner - Stage 1.
- Ultra Sword: Cookie Country - Stage 1, Raisin Ruins - Stage 4, Dangerous Dinner - Stage 3.
- Super Abilities one-hit KOes any enemy. If a Super Ability is hacked into a boss battle, it can defeat even a boss in one hit.
- Ultra Sword has become Kirby's Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, replacing his previous one "Cook Kirby" from Brawl.
- Hypernova in Kirby: Triple Deluxe is basically a Super Inhale, except Kirby has unlimited use of it until he finishes the stage.
- One pattern of the title screen animations in Kirby Star Allies features Blade Knight, Waddle Doo, Chilly and Bonkers, whose super forms provide the Super Abilities. Hot Head is absent in Star Allies so it's not present in this pattern.