Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn is a spin-off title exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS. It is an enhanced port of Kirby's Epic Yarn featuring some new content, including extra items, abilities, and game modes. Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn is the last Nintendo 3DS game that has been physically released.
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn features the following new content:
- Main article: Ravel Ability
These are six hats that operate similarly to Copy Abilities, giving Kirby new ways to attack opponents. They are as follows:
- Bobbin - A hat that allows Kirby to throw a bobbin on a string similar to the Yo-yo.
- Button - A hard hat that allows Kirby to toss exploding button bombs.
- Knitting Needles - A weaving hat which causes any Yarn Balls Kirby makes to become larger when worn and allows him to make regular ones at any time.
- Marking Pins - A pincushion hat that allows Kirby to throw marking pins at enemies.
- Nylon - A blue crown that allows Kirby to create vortexes that draw in beads when used.
- Wire - A wire hat and sword that allows Kirby to swipe at opponents.
- Devilish Mode
- An extra game mode which causes devilish creatures called Devils to chase Kirby through a given level and try to harass him. If Kirby takes damage 5 times, he is defeated and forced to restart the stage. This mode is available to select whenever Kirby enters a stage.
- Two Sub-Games featuring King Dedede and Meta Knight, having them run through a course and defeat enemies while collecting beads.
The player can now also move and place items in Kirby's Pad with the touch screen.
Kirby can gain aesthetic hats if the player scans in a Kirby series amiibo figurine. These hats are tied to certain Ravel abilities.
- Main article: Kirby's Epic Yarn
Being a port, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn features nearly all of the content of the original game, including the stages, enemies, bosses, and other features. For information on this content, see the Kirby's Epic Yarn page or the navigation box below.
There is one notable feature that does not return, however. Due to the nature of the 3DS system, local multiplayer is no longer possible. As such, Prince Fluff is no longer playable, being relegated to a support role similar to Bandana Waddle Dee in Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Kirby: Planet Robobot. He will still appear during cut-scenes and in the Goal Game. He also occasionally appears in the middle of a stage to give Kirby a star bead or a ravel ability.
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn was first announced during the Nintendo Direct on September 13th, 2018. This direct revealed the name of the game, along with announcing several of its new features, albeit briefly. More information was later posted on Nintendo's official Twitter Page.
For a brief period, the North American page for Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn erroneously stated the game to be playable exclusively on 'New Nintendo 3DS' systems. This was later corrected.
Nintendo eShop description
One ticked-off sorcerer just banished Kirby, warping the poor puffball to a yarn world in need of saving. The twist? Having a yarn body is epic! Kirby can transform into knitted wonders like tanks and flying saucers. Plus, his new ravel abilities mimic his classic copy abilities, adding something new to every stage of this action-adventure game! Ravel abilities allow Kirby to drop buttons like bombs or wield a wire like a sword. And that's just the beginning of all the makeshift magic. Dead end? Unzip a secret passage. Too dark? Unbutton the night to shed some light. Boss blocking your way? Unravel its face! As you play, you'll collect decorative treasures for Kirby's Pad. Show yours off with the StreetPass feature! If story mode isn't tough enough, see if you can earn more collectibles in Devilish Mode. In this harder mode, you must survive without invincibility as devils obstruct your path through each stage. There are also all-new minigames starring Meta Knight and King Dedede!
- Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn is the first game in the series to have a sub-game devoted to King Dedede and another to Meta Knight in the same game.
- While previous Kirby titles Kirby Battle Royale and Kirby Star Allies were localized into Dutch, and the latter also in Chinese, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (and the original Kirby's Epic Yarn) is not.
- On March 12, 2019, the My Nintendo rewards program included a wallpaper based on Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn. The wallpaper contained the Fortnite logo at the top-left corner. This error was quickly fixed on the same day.
- The officially sanctioned novel series released Kirby: Big Trouble in Patch Land! on March 15, 2019 (the novel series does not follow the games' chronological order). This chapter features the Devils from Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn and characters not in the original games like Bandana Waddle Dee and Chef Kawasaki.
- Main article: Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn/gallery
Names in other languages
Keito no Kābii Purasu
|Yarn Kirby Plus|
|French||Kirby - Au fil de la grande l'aventure||Kirby - On the thread of the great adventure|
|German||Kirby und das extra magische Garn||Kirby and the extra magic Yarn|
|Italian||Kirby e la nuova stoffa dell'eroe||Kirby and the new fabric of the hero|
|Korean||털실 커비 이야기 플러스
Teolsil Keobi Iyagi Peulleoseu
|Yarn Kirby Story Plus|
|Spanish||Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn||Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn|
|European Spanish||Más Kirby en el reino de los hilos||More Kirby in the kingdom of threads|