Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
|“||An action game where a Kirby made of yarn uses a new set of abilities only possible with yarn. Along with various transformations, Kirby also has new Ravel Abilities.||”|
— Other Games section in Super Kirby Clash and Kirby Fighters 2, and Past Adventures section in Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Kirby's Dream Buffet and Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn is a spin-off title exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS. It is an enhanced port of Kirby's Epic Yarn featuring some new content, including extra items, abilities, and game modes. Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn was the last Kirby game released for the Nintendo 3DS, and furthermore was the last Nintendo 3DS game that was physically released by Nintendo.
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn features the following new content:
- Main article: Ravel Ability
These are six hats that operate similarly to Copy Abilities, giving Kirby new ways to attack opponents. They are as follows:
|List of Ravel Abilities in Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn|
|A hat that allows Kirby to throw a bobbin on a string similar to the Yo-Yo.||A pincushion hat that allows Kirby to throw marking pins at enemies.|
|A hard hat that allows Kirby to toss exploding button bombs.||A blue crown that allows Kirby to create vortexes that draw in beads when used.|
|A weaving hat which causes any Yarn Balls Kirby makes to become larger when worn and allows him to make regular ones at any time.||A wire hat and sword that allows Kirby to swipe at opponents.|
|List of new game modes in Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn|
|An extra game mode which causes devilish creatures called Devils to chase Kirby through a given stage and try to harass him. In this mode, Kirby has a star-shaped health bar at the bottom formed by Life Pieces. Losing all Life Pieces will result in Kirby being defeated, forcing a restart of the current stage from the beginning. This mode is available to select whenever Kirby enters a stage.|
|A Sub-Game which tasks King Dedede with moving through a fast-paced course as quickly as possible while collecting Fuse Beads and Luminas, defeating enemies, and avoiding hazards.|
|Slash & Bead tasks Meta Knight with flying through courses in an auto-scrolling environment, collecting Fuse Beads and Luminas while defeating as many enemies as possible. In addition to obtaining beads from enemies, beads will also appear out in the open, or trapped inside balloons that can be popped with any attack.|
While all enemies from the original Wii version return, each new sub-game features one new enemy, and the new Devilish Mode features three new Devil enemies.
|List of new enemies in Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn|
|Introduced in Devilish Mode|
|Me-Devil||A Devil with a round body that attempts to attack Kirby by dropping spiked balls from above.|
|Ye-Devil||A Devil with a oval body that wears a drill hat, attacking Kirby by attempting to ram into him in a horizontal direction.|
|We-Devil||A Devil with a triangular body and a tail that she can use to shoot targeting laser beams at Kirby.|
|Introduced in sub-games|
|Yarn mole||A mole-like creature exclusive to Dedede Gogogo which is harmless, but can be hit by King Dedede with his hammer or Head Slide attacks.|
|Red Buttonbee||A red variant of Buttonbee that appears exclusively to Dedede Gogogo, which appears to fly in various patterns in some of the mode's stages. It attacks with a retractable stinger, which can harm King Dedede if touched.|
|Chain Flamer||A series of Flamer-like creatures exclusive to Slash & Bead which are harmless. The green ones can be defeated individually, but there is a pink one that will completely destroy all the Chain Flamers in the line.|
The player can now also move and place items in Kirby's Pad with the touch screen.
The first model room - "No. 1 Furniture Collection"
Kirby can gain aesthetic hats if the player scans in a Kirby series amiibo figurine. These hats are tied to certain Ravel abilities.
|Custom Ravel Abilities|
|Hat||Related Ravel Ability||Notes|
|Knitting Needles||This hat is based on Prince Fluff's crown.|
King Dedede Hat
Meta Knight Hat
|Wire||This is in fact not a hat but Meta Knight's mask.|
Waddle Dee Hat
Other differences from Kirby's Epic Yarn
Being a port, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn features nearly all of the content from the original Kirby's Epic Yarn, including the stages, enemies, bosses, and other features. However, various changes were made in the port, and thus are listed here:
- Prince Fluff has been relegated to a support role similar to Bandana Waddle Dee in Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Kirby: Planet Robobot, due to the lack of local multiplayer. Through the midway point of a stage, he calls out to Kirby and gives him a star bead or Ravel Ability.
- In Devilish Mode, Prince Fluff can also give Kirby a star-shaped item that replenishes all his Life Pieces, should he lose any.
- The player has the ability to skip a stage by pausing the game while in a stage and tapping Angie at the bottom left of the touch screen. Kirby will be carried away by Angie, but any items collected in the stage (including Furniture and beads) will not be saved.
- The touch screen is used to present more information to the player, such as collected Treasures and current health in Devilish Mode. It also has two buttons that can be tapped to either drop Kirby's current Ravel Ability or pause the game.
- The touch screen's background also dynamically changes depending on if the player fights a Boss or is in Devilish Mode. In case of the former, a patterned quilt featuring images of the boss being fought is used, while a purple checkered background is used for the latter.
- A completion progress bar is now displayed on the bottom screen for the neighbors' Sub-Games.
- There are several new features added to Kirby's Pad, including:
- The ability to save up to three room designs with a unique name for each (marked A, B, and C on the bottom screen).
- Turning off the lights to make rooms appear dark, allowing some furniture to display unique lighting effects.
- Using the shoulder buttons to switch to Model Room, allowing the player to browse through 50 preset room designs featuring new and old furniture. Tapping the Catalog button allows players to browse through furniture used and check materials used in upholstering, while also being able to quickly buy furniture if available via the Item Shop.
- The ability to share rooms with other players via StreetPass, with received rooms also displaying in the Model Room menu.
- There are three new songs not found in the Tunes menu, which are the music for the new sub-games as well as the theme music of Devilish Mode that plays when a Devil appears.
- Local multiplayer is no longer possible in this port. As a result, Prince Fluff is no longer playable, and cannot assist Kirby when using Metamortex Transformations. He will still appear during cutscenes and in the Goal Game.
- Stage navigation and selection has been streamlined using the touch screen, which can be used to quickly select a stage while in a level by tapping on its respective icon to bring up its corresponding menu.
- The player can also tap the bottom left button depicting part of Patch Land to access a quick-travel menu, where they can use the Circle Pad or d-pad to select a level, while using the touch screen to jump Kirby to the door of the stage they have selected.
- Pausing while navigating a level's map also features options to play Dedede Gogogo and Slash & Bead.
- Many Metamortex Transformations that require the usage of motion controls with the Wii Remote have their controls changed.
- Patch Plaza now has several changes, especially as completing all the Fuse Bead Mats and collecting all the Devilish Mode-exclusive furniture are now required for 100% completion.
- The bell that hangs over the Flicks menu is now colored indigo instead of purple, with the latter instead used for the bell that corresponds to Devilish Mode completion.
- Most of the Patch Plaza's menus have been overhauled, as all entries for each menu are now displayed in a grid-like format, with the bottom screen displaying its title and description. The player can also use the L and R shoulder buttons in some menus to browse through tabs for things such as furniture under Stuff and different patterns under Fabric.
- The title screen now features Kirby wearing a random Ravel Ability, as well as Me-Devil fluttering just below the game's logo.
- Should the player unlock any new stages in Dedede Gogogo or Slash & Bead, King Dedede or Meta Knight will also appear on the loading screen to notify the player of such, usually after completing a level.
- The player can choose to start playing the game's story or play the new sub-games after selecting a file.
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn features a free downloadable demo on the Nintendo eShop, which was released on February 7, 2019 in Japan and Europe and on February 21, 2019 in North America. The demo only features the stages Fountain Gardens and Rainbow Falls. As a consequence, the only Metamortex Transformations present in this demo are the Tankbot and Spin Boarder, and the only Ravel Abilities featured are Knitting Needles and Button due to their availability in the demo stages.
When completing either stage and viewing the results screen, the player is then taken to a "Thanks for playing!" screen featuring a prop illustration of Kirby and Prince Fluff. The player then has the option to view the Nintendo eShop page for the game or return to the title screen by tapping either button on the bottom screen.
Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn was first announced during the Nintendo Direct on September 13th, 2018. This direct revealed the name of the game, along with announcing several of its new features, albeit briefly. More information was later posted on Nintendo's official Twitter Page.
For a brief period, the North American page for Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn erroneously stated the game to be playable exclusively on 'New Nintendo 3DS' systems. This was later corrected.
|List of staff in Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn|
|Assistant Director||Kazumasa Yonetani|
|Programming Director||Satoshi Kobayashi|
|Music & Sound Effects||Akihiro Juichiya|
|Technical Artist||Takeharu Umada|
|Concept Artists||Tadanori Tsukawaki|
|Planning Manager||Yuichi Abe|
|Programming Manager||Koichi Yagi|
|Design Manager||Masashi Tsuboyama|
|Voice||Makiko Ohmoto (Kirby)|
Tomoko Nakamura (Prince Fluff)
Yuko Tsuga (Japanese narrator)
Pablo Magaz (Latin Spanish narrator)
France Marien (French-Canadian narrator)
Dave White (American English narrator)
Paul Vaughan (British English narrator)
Olivier Deslandes (European French narrator)
Wolf Kähler (German narrator)
Massimo Marinoni (Italian narrator)
Carlos Riera (Castilian Spanish narrator)
Sun Lee (Korean narrator)
|North American Localization|
|NOA Localization Management||Nate Bihldorff|
|NOA Localization||Rich Comegys|
Yanett Cepeda Valor
|NOE Localisation Producers||Saskia Doorschodt|
Jesús Díez García
|NOE Localisation||Martina Leonor Bassani|
Greg T. Sadownik
Gurvan Le Guen
Enrique Sánchez Rosa
|NOK Localization Management||Hyokjin Jung|
|NOK Localization||Dongyeon Kim|
|Technical Support||Tsuyoshi Masada|
|Testing & Quality Assurance||Mario Club Co., Ltd.|
DIGITAL HEARTS Co., Ltd.
NOA Product Testing
J. Ignacio León López
Jesús Gutiérrez Cuadra
NOE Quality Assurance
NOK Debug Team
Pole To Win Korea Co., Ltd.
|Special Thanks||Manabu Matsumoto|
Based on the work of the development team from the original Wii version. (English)/Based on the work of original Wii version development staff. (Korean)
|Character Supervisors||Shinya Kumazaki|
|Associate Producers||Nobuo Matsumiya|
|General Producer||Shinya Takahashi|
|Executive Producer||Shuntaro Furukawa|
|Nintendo, Good-Feel and HAL Laboratory, Inc. are the authors of this software for the purpose of copyright. All rights reserved.|
Nintendo eShop description
One ticked-off sorcerer just banished Kirby, warping the poor puffball to a yarn world in need of saving. The twist? Having a yarn body is epic! Kirby can transform into knitted wonders like tanks and flying saucers. Plus, his new ravel abilities mimic his classic copy abilities, adding something new to every stage of this action-adventure game! Ravel abilities allow Kirby to drop buttons like bombs or wield a wire like a sword. And that's just the beginning of all the makeshift magic. Dead end? Unzip a secret passage. Too dark? Unbutton the night to shed some light. Boss blocking your way? Unravel its face! As you play, you'll collect decorative treasures for Kirby's Pad. Show yours off with the StreetPass feature! If story mode isn't tough enough, see if you can earn more collectibles in Devilish Mode. In this harder mode, you must survive without invincibility as devils obstruct your path through each stage. There are also all-new minigames starring Meta Knight and King Dedede!
(This description was reused for the game on the My Nintendo Store.)
- Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn is the first game in the series to have a sub-game devoted to King Dedede and another to Meta Knight in the same game.
- On March 12, 2019, the My Nintendo rewards program included a wallpaper based on Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn. Upon initial release, it was discovered that the wallpaper contained the Fortnite logo at the top-left corner. This error was quickly fixed on the same day.
- While unrelated to Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, during the official trailer for Fortnite's "Party Royale" game mode released on May 7, 2020, Kirby makes an appearance on a billboard during the first and twenty-fifth second, performing the game's "Dance Emotes". It is unknown whether this was an intentional inclusion in return, or an oversight on video producer's part. The billboard ended up getting blurred in the trailer for the XBOX and PlayStation versions.
- Main article: Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn/gallery
Names in other languages
Keito no Kābyi Purasu
|Yarn Kirby Plus|
|Chinese||Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
|Dutch||Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn||-|
|Canadian French||Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn||-|
|European French||Kirby - Au fil de la grande aventure||Kirby - On the thread of the great adventure|
|German||Kirby und das extra magische Garn||Kirby and the extra magic Yarn|
|Italian||Kirby e la nuova stoffa dell'eroe||Kirby and the new fabric of the hero|
|Korean||털실 커비 이야기 플러스
Teolsil Keobi Iyagi Peulleoseu
|Yarn Kirby Story Plus|
|Portuguese||Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn||-|
|Russian||Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
|Latin American Spanish||Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn||-|
|European Spanish||Más Kirby en el reino de los hilos||More Kirby in the kingdom of the threads|