|Kirby is powerful even in his Normal form, without a Copy Ability. Inhale, spit, and attack!
— Normal Challenge Caption
Normal Challenge is the second stage of Last Land in New Challenge Stages. It tests Kirby's proficiency with his default abilities and skills in a series of chambers, where the goal is to defeat all the enemies and collect all the coins as quickly as possible. The window of time to earn a Platinum Medal is 1:10 or higher.
Completing this stage is necessary to unlock the third Magolor Race.
The stage consists of two main chambers, and two side-chambers.
The first chamber begins with a Star Block and Halcandle Dee in front of Kirby over some precipices. After disposing of these obstacles, the path continues toward a series of Super Inhale Blocks, which can only be eaten by using a Super Inhale. A tutorial sign appears to inform the player of this mechanic. The resulting Star Bullet will clear the way forward as Kirby moves ahead. Further down the hall, Kirby will need to shoot star bullets through tight spiky gaps to open them up, then deal with pairs of Bowby and Scarfy. Another star bullet aiming puzzle then needs to be solved before running past a trio of Mumbies to reach another Super Inhale Block. At this point, a switch can be found above Kirby that opens the way to a side chamber. In this chamber, Kirby will need to race his own star bullet as it travels through a suspended stream of water above his head. Reaching the other side in time grants access to a coin cache. Back on the main path, Kirby can hit a switch to make the platform he is standing on rush to the right past a large number of Halcandle Burts which he can inhale along the way. Spitting them out at the giant Scarfy at the end reveals the door to the next area.
The second area starts with a series of water bars suspended over the abyss. Kirby will need to jump between these as he makes his way up past various hazards, including Shotzos and Gigatzos firing upward. After running along some crumbling blocks, a switch can be found along the side of a pillar to reveal a door to a side area. This area features a series of switches that open up to reveal a formation of walls that spell out "HAL" (meaning this area counts as a HAL Room) along with several coins to collect. Back on the main path, Kirby will need to move ahead across more crumbling blocks and inhale the supporting blocks for more Gigatzos to drop them. After inhaling a particularly large amount of blocks, Kirby can spit out a massive star bullet and chase it as it clears away all the remaining obstacles further down the hall. This will clear the way to the stage exit, along with one last line of coins behind it.
There are a few things to keep in mind when aiming for Platinum on this stage, though it should be noted that the strategies listed here are by no means the only ones that will do the job:
- Kirby can jump from bodies of water, but only if he is on the surface.
- Once a Super Inhale is initiated, Kirby will keep inhaling until the inputs used to trigger the enhanced inhale specifically (shaking the Wii remote and mashing the + Control Pad) are canceled, even if enemies have already been sucked in and the attack button is released.
- Kirby can inhale blocks through walls and gates, allowing him to save time in places.
- If Kirby uses his Star Bullet while running and jumping, he is propulsed further and is able to move again sooner than if he does so from the ground.
- Kirby can use an Air Bullet on switches placed placed away from his trajectory instead of stepping on them.
- "Inhaled objects can be spit out as an attack or swallowed."
- "Careful! Kirby can't hover with an object in his mouth!"
- "Use Super Inhale to inhale gray blocks or large foes."
- "You can inhale several foes near you all together."
- "When you dive into water, press ↑ to quickly float to the surface!"
- "A Slide can destroy multiple blocks that are lined up."
- This is the only challenge in both New Challenge Stages and the Kirby's Return to Dream Land Challenge Stages that features bodies of water.
- The background music for this stage is randomly selected between the Gourmet Race theme that plays in Paint Panic in Kirby: Canvas Curse and "City Trial: Rowdy Charge Tank" from Kirby Air Ride.
- The HAL Room in this stage plays either the original Green Greens theme from Kirby's Dream Land or the rearranged version from Kirby's Epic Yarn.
Names in other languages
Platinum Rank run of the Normal Challenge.