Another Dimension is the name given to a strange eerie alternate dimension featured many times in the Kirby series, first appearing in Kirby's Return to Dream Land. It is the home of the Sphere Doomers, as well as several very powerful parallel versions of bosses from Kirby's native dimension. Whenever Kirby and his friends are tasked to enter this dimension, it is usually in order to stop some powerful villains from wreaking havoc in Kirby's home dimension.
Another Dimension is characterized by large empty spaces filled with strange swirling patterns and energy. It can be seen as closely linked to Kirby's native dimension in that several images and impressions of places from said dimension will appear in the background of Another Dimension. Where there is solid ground, it is usually depicted as glowing yellow blocky formations which often shift and can easily crush when doing so. Large spiky star-shaped hazards also float freely in this area, making it generally hostile to navigate through. When visiting an area in Another Dimension resembling one from the main dimension, it is often depicted in a monochrome fashion, though this is temporarily undone whenever a Sphere Doomer is defeated.
It is stated several times, particularly in the Japanese versions, that Another Dimension is beyond both time and space.
Kirby and other characters are capable of opening rifts to Another Dimension from their home dimension using sufficiently powerful attacks or advanced ancient technology. It is implied that such visits can only last a short while, as often, a wall of energy will push in toward Kirby and his allies which will crush them if they take too long.
Kirby's Return to Dream Land / Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
- See also: Another Dimension (level)
Kirby and allies first visit Another Dimension in Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Multiple times throughout the adventure, Kirby can open rifts to Another Dimension with the help of the Super Abilities to recover the Lor Starcutter's lost Energy Spheres. However, Kirby loses his super ability when he enters these rifts. Upon entering, he and allies are transported to a monochromatic version of the normal stage. Here they are chased by a purple wall of energy that seeks to crush them. At the end of their visit to Another Dimension, Kirby and allies fight a Sphere Doomer that drops a pair of Energy Spheres upon defeat. The Energy Spheres restore color to the area, allowing the friends to enter a rift that takes them back to their native dimension.
In the remake, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, Another Dimension changes its appearance to a color wash instead of grayscale, similar to the stages in the Isolated Isles: Forgo Dreams mode from Kirby and the Forgotten Land.
Later in the adventure, Kirby and allies mount on Landia's back to chase and battle Magolor in Another Dimension after he betrayed them. When in the level proper, Kirby and allies fly through the landscape, shooting down Doomers in pursuit of Magolor and his ship. The final boss encounter takes place in an eerie glowing area with Popstar visible through a portal in the background. The area starts to collapse once Magolor is defeated, and a purple wall of energy once again chases the friends. Thankfully, Landia flies them and the Lor Starcutter through the portal before it closes.
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
- Main article: Another Dimension (Battle Stage)
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe & Super Kirby Clash
A few of the bosses hail from what is presumed to be Another Dimension, with the Decisive Battlefield also being set there.
Kirby Star Allies
- Main article: Heroes in Another Dimension
The final major update to Kirby Star Allies adds a new mode to the game, Heroes in Another Dimension. However, despite what the title might imply, it doesn't take in Another Dimension, but rather, it is used by Kirby and co. to travel to separate but unnamed dimensions. The rift here is opened by Hyness' continuous praying at the altar in The Divine Terminus.
The Japanese pause screen text for Morpho Knight EX states that it comes from Another Dimension.
- In the New Challenge Stages, the last couple Magolor Races take place in an area which greatly resembles Another Dimension.
- The space within the massive vortex of rifts between the New World and Popstar seen at the beginning of the game greatly resembles Another Dimension. Additionally this rift and the ones later created by Fecto Elfilis and Elfilin, the rifts into Treasure Roads, and the rift into the isolated isles of Forgo Dreams externally resemble rifts into Another Dimension, though more ragged and sharp in appearance.
- Treasure Roads exist within a different reality, and like Another Dimension, they can only be visited for a short time and contain a specific challenge.
- The isolated isles of Forgo Dreams also resemble Another Dimension, though as the name implies, they are stated to be some form of psychic projection of Fecto Forgo's dreams. Interestingly, the final stage's theme, "Scattered Souls across Isolated Isles", is a remix of "Another Dimension", and the new updated look of Another Dimension stretches in Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe appears to borrow inspiration from the mode.
Travel to Another Dimension
While there is no clear idea on how travel to and from Another Dimension is performed, it is often done by means of opening a rift there using specific powerful artifacts or techniques. The following is a list of every such entity/technique which has been proven to open such rifts:
- Galacta Knight's attacks
- Kirby's Super Abilities
- Hyness's rituals
- Lor Starcutter's beam and Energy Spheres
- Magolor with the Master Crown
- Some parallel bosses
- Star Dream
Names in other languages
The literal reading of the characters is normally ikūkan.
In Kirby Star Allies, the furigana instead uses the English phrase "another dimension".
yì cì yuán
yì cì yuán
|Dutch||Een andere dimensie||Another dimension|
|French||Dimension parallèle||Parallel dimension|
|German||Eine andere Dimension||Another Dimension|
|Italian||Un'altra dimensione||Another dimension|
|Korean||또 하나의 세계
tto hanaui segye
|Spanish||Dimensión Paralela||Parallel Dimension|