A Gem Apple is an item that can be collected, earned or purchased in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and Super Kirby Clash. It serves as the primary form of currency in the game, and can also be used in a multitude of other ways both before, and during gameplay.
Obtaining Gem Apples
Gem Apples can be obtained for free in the following ways:
- completing Heroic Missions
- harvest from the Gem Apple Tree
- as a free gift from Magolor's Shoppe
- ringing the Adventurer Bell
- reciting a password at the Shrine of Passwords
- opening a Star Chest (Super Kirby Clash only)
- entering the game through specific news postings on the Nintendo Switch news feed (Super Kirby Clash only)
If more apples are desired, the player will need to purchase them using real money at Magolor's Shoppe. The price listings per bunch are on that page. In Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, up to 3000 Gem Apples can be bought this way. In Super Kirby Clash, there is no upper limit for Gem Apple purchases, but the player will be warned that the Gem Apple Tree will not grow further when attempting to buy Gem Apples after the tree has reached its highest level.
Gem Apple Tree
The Gem Apple tree was planted by Magolor after escaping from Another Dimension, using the seed gathered from the combined Fruit Fragments.
In the village, the Gem Apple Tree can be found, looked after by Bandana Waddle Dee. After the first battle is completed, the tree matures and yields 5 Gem Apples in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe and 10 apples in Super Kirby Clash. From there, every 12 hours (real time), the tree yields another batch.
Buying enough Gem Apples at Magolor's Shoppe will cause the tree to grow further, yielding more apples per harvest. Growing the tree also makes its yield available right away.
The following are tables showing each level of tree growth in each game, and the requirements:
- Gem Apples are primarily used as currency to buy items in Magolor's Shoppe. They are involved in all purchases, except for buying more Gem Apples.
- Gem Apples are required to unlock most enemy encounters, and thus are required in order to move forward in the game.
- If Team Kirby finds their Vigor to be too low, and are not willing to wait around, Gem Apples can be eaten to instantly recover all Vigor.
- During battle, if all of the Kirbys are knocked out, Gem Apples can be spent to revive them. The cost increments based on how many times the revive is used during the fight, making repeated revivals costly.
- Additionally, Gem Apples can be spent to add 30 more seconds to the clock if time runs out, in much the same way (added time does not count toward the score).
- Gem Apples can be spent to recruit adventurers to help out in fights after the 24-hourly free recruitment is used.
In the Kirby novel series
In both Kirby Clash Team Unite! and Kirby: Super Team Kirby's Big Battle!, Gem Apples have the exact same function of the original games: a currency to buy more powerful armor and weapons in Magolor's Shoppe.
In the former book, Kirby first sees some unripe Gem Apples growing on the Gem Apple Tree at the center of the town, and later comes back to see that they have matured, and Bandana Waddle Dee gifts them to Kirby. He then spends 7 of his Gem Apples to buy the Swordsman's Set from Magolor. Later on, Kirby spends 48 apples to get the Unicorn Set from Magolor some time after the battle with Gigant Edge. Near the end of the novel, the inhabitants of the Dream Kingdom like Knuckle Joe, Burning Leo and Broom Hatter offer all of their Gem Apples to Team Kirby so that they can buy the extremely expensive Platinum Gear Set in order to head back to the Empyrean and defeat Taranza once and for all.
In the latter book, after returning to the Dream Kingdom, Kirby heads to the Shoppe to purchase some gear but, without any apples to pay for the more expensive stuff and only getting a couple from Doctor Kirby, reluctantly settles with the Knight Set. Later in the story, Kirby does part-time work to get more apples but only ends up with 20 after a month's worth of work, solely because he spent most of them on food at Chef Kawasaki's tavern. With the 20 apples in hand, he was able to purchase the Gale Set prior to a trek to the Volcano to do battle with Pyribbit. While no apples are shown being used for the rest of the story, they do occasionally get brought up by the characters, like when the Kirbys get the idea to spent them on nothing but food when the monster attacks cease.
- The music that plays in the village will change as the Gem Apple Tree grows.
- Gem Apples grow quickly on the tree but do not ripen until 12 hours after first appearing. Premature apples are smaller and green in color and are apparently worthless.
- Gem Apples will not ripen automatically if Kirby waits beyond the appointed time in the Village, however. Bandana Waddle Dee will inform him that he needs to look at the Quest Board or visit Magolor's Shoppe first, and then the apples will be ripe when he gets back.
- Gem Apples are edible. Besides being eaten to restore Team Kirby's vigor, in one article on the Japanese Team Kirby Clash Deluxe website, Magolor describes how Susie made sherbet out of his Gem Apples. In Kirby Star Allies, this Gem Apple sherbet appears as Susie's signature food if she's put into the Cook ability's pot.
- In Kirby Star Allies and Kirby Fighters 2, Magolor has an attack called Gem Apple Bombs. Whether these are bombs shaped like Gem Apples or real Gem Apples is unknown.
- A similar attack is used by the Master Crown in its boss battle in Magolor Epilogue: The Interdimensional Traveler, which also involves the use of dimensional rifts to summon large versions of these Gem Apple bombs. Yet again, whether they are actual Gem Apples or not remains unclear.
Stone transformation of Shopkeeper Magolor with some Gem Apples in Kirby Star Allies
February 2018 Japanese password for Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, featuring Magolor and Assistant Waddle Dee.
April 2018 Japanese password for Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, featuring Magolor, Taranza, Dark Taranza and Assistant Waddle Dee.
Image accompanying the January 8th, 2020 Super Kirby Clash Channel post, featuring Magolor happily enjoying the then ongoing Gem Apple sale.
Hand-drawn artwork to celebrate the 27th anniversary of Kirby series from Nintendo Co., Ltd.'s Instagram account
Sketch of a Gem Apple costume for Qbby alongside the real thing
Magolor holding a Gem Apple in the "Magolor Yorozuya" poster from the Kirby Pupupu Train 2018 events
Names in other languages
píng guǒ bǎo shí
píng guǒ bǎo shí
|French||Pomme joyau||Gem Apple|
|Spanish||Gema manzana||Gem apple|
- ↑ "中に入っタラ、ピンクのオンナノコが、売り物のジェムリンゴを勝手にシャーベットにシテ食べてるシ、ボクもうビックリしチャッタ。(Once I was inside, I was surprised to see a pink girl, who made sherbet out of the Gem Apples for sale and ate them without permission.)" –Magolor (Team Kirby Clash Deluxe official website (JP) - Magolor News #9)