|“||Eating a Miracle Fruit imbues Kirby with this special ability. After an explosion of energy, Kirby's stomach becomes a veritable black hole, allowing him to inhale giant objects!||”|
— Kirby: Triple Deluxe pause caption
Hypernova is a powerful ability introduced in Kirby: Triple Deluxe. Obtained only by touching a Miracle Fruit, it grants Kirby a temporary transformation throughout the rest of the stage that exponentially powers up his inhale, and allows him to inhale larger objects and certain Mid-Bosses that cannot be inhaled otherwise, as well as solve some puzzles throughout the game. In that manner, it can be considered similar to Super Abilities from Kirby's Return to Dream Land, just consolidated into a single form.
Unlike most abilities, Kirby does not receive this ability by copying it from an enemy with a similar power, but instead by eating the Miracle Fruit directly. As such, Kirby does not need to give up his current Copy Ability to use it. Also, when Kirby eats the Miracle Fruit, his attire does not change and he does not gain a new weapon; instead, he begins to glow rainbow colors that are shown to move around his body, even when he is not active. If Kirby loses a life with Hypernova, he will respawn with the ability instead of losing it and having to go back to get it. This is one of the few cases in the series where this happens. After Kirby finishes a stage, Hypernova is lost, but the ability he had before eating the Miracle Fruit is returned.
|“||You can obtain the Hypernova ability by eating a Miracle Fruit. This enables Kirby to inhale massive objects that he couldn’t inhale normally. It is a very useful ability, as it allows Kirby to inhale large stones or missiles and spit them at enemies, as well as move big obstacles to uncover Sun Stones. You should definitely give this new ability a try!||”|
— Satoshi Ishida, Miiverse post on 06/02/2014 9:09 AM
Hypernova is usually found in one or two stages per level. Although there are not many attacks for the ability besides having an amplified inhale, this allows Kirby to move backwards and forwards while inhaling, and it is used to easily defeat most mid-bosses (and some real bosses). At about the halfway point of certain stages, Kirby will walk into a flat expanse and see a small sprout. This sprout will rapidly grow until it bears a Miracle Fruit. Kirby cannot leave the area until he grabs it either by jumping into the fruit or by inhaling it. Regardless of how it's consumed, he gains the Hypernova ability shortly afterwards.
The ability is necessary to finish the stage, as there are usually several large blocks and other objects that Kirby couldn't move on his own. Several of the stages that involve Hypernova also have a special mid-boss. These enemies are usually fought by sucking up their own projectiles and shooting them back at a weak spot. These bosses are also usually fought in groups, with three or four enemies fought at the same time or three or four enemies fought separately, one right after the other. In Royal Road - Stage 5, the Hypernova ability is even used to inhale Flowery Woods in a somewhat humorous sequence that involves its health bar on the HUD "peeling" off, which breaks the fourth wall.
This ability is also used in the final boss fight against Flowered Sectonia in place of a Last Battle Ability, and is used to deal the final blow by sucking up Sectonia's own laser (as well as her health bar) and shooting it right back at the Queen.
Hypernova doesn't have a very large moveset (only 2 moves), as can be expected due to its similarity to Super Abilities. To use the Hypernova Inhale, the player simply has to hold the B button. This will go continuously until Kirby either inhales an object, or becomes tired and rests (similar to finishing a Super Inhale in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror and Kirby: Squeak Squad). Some items can't be completely inhaled, and will simply get stuck on Kirby's mouth. When the player pushes B in this state, the item will be shot back. The other move is Inhale and Move, which is just Kirby moving left and right while inhaling, so that he can pull objects to clear paths or make step-stools. The player can perform this by using the Circle Pad or +Control Pad while pressing B. This combination is used to solve many puzzles in the game. Kirby will not walk off the edges of platforms while using Inhale and Move.
|Kirby: Triple Deluxe||Eating a Miracle Fruit imbues Kirby with this special ability. After an explosion of energy, Kirby's stomach becomes a veritable black hole, allowing him to inhale giant objects!|
- In Royal Road - Stage 8 EX, when Kirby eats the Miracle Fruit, the Fountain of Dreams theme arrangement from Kirby Air Ride can be heard.
- This stage is the only EX stage where Kirby uses Hypernova.
- Upon reaching 100% completion, Kirby will occasionally appear in Hypernova form on the title screen.
- Hypernova's name contradicts its use. A hypernova is a type of supernova explosion (when a star explodes), but the use of the ability is akin more to a black hole, or an implosion. However, a star that goes hypernova is massive enough to turn into a black hole, so this could be where the name comes from.
- On the official Kirby: Triple Deluxe website, there is a "Hypernova Yourself" feature. This takes an image and expands the mouth area, and adds a rainbow tint, to make the object of the photo appear to be using the Hypernova inhale.
- Since Kirby: Triple Deluxe, the inhale attack of King Dedede (including his other forms) has got a significantly increased range, and has been titled ビッグバンすいこみ (Big Bang Inhale, Big Bang being the Japanese name of Hypernova) in the Japanese version.
Waddle Dee Trains are among the things that can be eaten using Hypernova.
Official Kirby Portal video showcasing Hypernova
Names in other languages
- Other Games section in Super Kirby Clash, Kirby Fighters 2 and Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- Nintendo Polska - Nintendo Selects: Kirby: Triple Deluxe