|Eating a Miracle Fruit imbues Kirby with this special ability. After an explosion of energy, Kirby's stomach becomes a veritable black hole, allowing him to inhale giant objects!|
— Triple Deluxe quote
Hypernova is a powerful ability introduced in Kirby: Triple Deluxe. Obtained only by touching a Miracle Fruit, it grants Kirby a temporary transformation throughout the rest of the course that exponentially powers up Kirby's inhale, and allows him to inhale larger objects and certain mid-bosses that cannot be inhaled otherwise, as well as solve some puzzles throughout the game.
Unlike most abilities, Kirby cannot receive this ability by copying it from an enemy with a similar manner, but by eating a special fruit. Also, when Kirby is transformed into this ability, his attire does not change and he does not undergo a new weapon, instead allowing him to glow rainbow colors that are shown to move around his body, even when he is not active.
Hypernova is usually found in one or two stages per level. Although there are not many attacks for the ability besides having an amplified inhale, this allows Kirby to move backwards and forwards while inhaling, and it is used to easily defeat most mid-bosses (and some real bosses). At about the halfway point of certain levels, Kirby will walk into a flat expanse and see a small sprout. This sprout will rapidly grow until it bears a Miracle Fruit. Kirby cannot leave the area until he grabs it. He will immediately eat it, and then he will gain the Hypernova ability. The ability is necessary to finish the stage, as there are usually several large blocks and other objects that Kirby couldn't move on his own. Also, several of the levels that involve Hypernova have a special mid-boss. These enemies are usually fought by sucking up their own projectiles and shooting them back at a weak spot. These bosses are also usually fought in groups, with three or four enemies fought at the same time or three or four enemies fought separately, one right after the other. In the second-to-last level of the game, the Hypernova ability is even used to inhale Flowery Woods in a somewhat humorous sequence that involves his health bar on the HUD "peeling" off, which breaks the fourth wall. This ability is also used in the final boss fight against Queen Sectonia as a Final Weapon, and is used to deal the final blow by sucking up Sectonia's own laser and shooting it right back at the Queen. This Miracle Fruit is thrown at Kirby by Taranza when King Dedede throws Kirby at the miracle fruit. After Kirby finishes a level, Hypernova is lost, but the ability Kirby had before eating the Miracle Fruit is returned.
Hypernova doesn't have a very large moveset (only 2 moves), as can be expected due to its similarity to Super Abilities. To use the Hypernova Inhale, simply push and hold the B button. This will go continuously until Kirby becomes tired, and rests (similar to finishing a Super Inhale in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror and Kirby: Squeak Squad). Some items can't be completely inhaled, and will simply get stuck on Kirby's mouth. By pushing B, the item will be shot back. The other move is Inhale and Move, which is just Kirby moving while inhaling, to pull objects to clear paths or make step-stools. This is done by pressing ↔ while pressing B. This combination is used to solve many puzzles in the game.
- If Kirby loses a life with Hypernova, he will respawn with the ability instead of losing it and having to go back to get it. This is one of the few cases where this happens.
- Hypernova is similar to UFO (until Kirby: Squeak Squad), because both are lost after the level they are obtained in is finished.
- Hypernova is one of two Final Weapons that can be used before the Final Boss is fought. The other is the Super Abilities.
- In Royal Road Stage 8 EX, when Kirby eats the Miracle Fruit, a remix of the Fountain of Dreams theme from Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land and Kirby Air Ride can be heard.
- This stage is the only EX stage where Kirby uses Hypernova.
- Hypernova's name contradicts its use. A hypernova is a type of supernova explosion (when a star explodes), but the use of the ability is akin more to a black hole, or an implosion. However, a star that goes hypernova is massive enough to turn into a black hole, so this could be where the name comes from.
- On the official Kirby: Triple Deluxe website, there is a "Hypernova Yourself" feature. This takes an image and expands the mouth area, and adds a rainbow tint, to make the object of the photo appear to be using the Hypernova inhale.
- After gaining a 100% clear rate, Hypernova Kirby may sometimes appear on the title screen.
- Since Kirby: Triple Deluxe, the inhale attack of King Dedede (including his other forms) has got a significantly increased range, and has been titled ビッグバンすいこみ (Big Bang Inhale, Big Bang being the Japanese name of Hypernova) in the Japanese version.
Waddle Dee Trains are among the things that can be eaten using Hypernova.
Names in other languages