|Evil Sphere Doomers have come to Planet Popstar from another dimension, drawn by the lost Energy Spheres… This one is huge!|
— VS Grand Doomer Special Page in Kirby's Return to Dream Land
|The lost Energy Spheres have created dimensional rifts. The Grand Doomer has emerged from one such rift!|
— VS Grand Doomer EX Special Page in Kirby's Return to Dream Land
The Grand Doomer is the boss that appears in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, appearing as the boss of Nutty Noon. He is the leader of the Sphere Doomers that, when defeated, will yield the Lor Starcutter's Mast. He attacks in a similar fashion as the Fire Sphere Doomer, though his attacks are much more powerful.
The Grand Doomer resembles a smaller Fire Sphere Doomer, but he is naturally much bigger. It possesses many teeth and long fangs, two red eyes, two wings, long spikes on his head, and 13 feathers on his underside, which is the most among the Sphere Doomers. Inside his mouth, the Lor's Mast is visible inside a large Energy Sphere at all times.
The Grand Doomer does not change his bodily appearance when knocked to half health, but his fiery back-glow changes to a dark gloomy back-glow. He will also begin roaring and will generally attack faster. Whereas the Sphere Doomers have a dark aura around them, Grand Doomer has a aura of similar colour to himself. His aura becomes dark once the second phase kicks in (possibly due to his anger).
When his health is almost depleted, the Grand Doomer will encase himself in a slate-colored ball with glowing stars on it to protect himself.
In Extra Mode, the Grand Doomer (now called the Grand Doomer EX) is a dark red color, and his eyes are white.
After he makes his way into the area the Grand Doomer is fought, Kirby sees the Lor Starcutter's mast floating about in space. He tries to grab the mast, but the Grand Doomer confiscates the mast. He then turns visible, and he and Kirby face off.
The following lists all of Grand Doomer's attacks prior to the third phase in the Main Game of Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Attacks in italics are used in the second phase of the fight only.
*Attack names are conjectural.
|Attacks - Main Game|
In Extra Mode, Grand Doomer's attacks, while not all that much faster, are more punishing:
|Attacks - Extra Mode|
|Sphere Blast EX|
|Sphere Bomb EX|
|Rift Attack EX|
|Rift Trap EX|
|Homing Blast EX|
|Back Barrage EX|
Once Grand Doomer's health is almost depleted, it transforms into a ball and becomes impervious to attacks. He then starts bouncing about while enemies get warped into the stage. Tougher enemies are dealt in Extra Mode. One of these enemies is the Super Blade Knight, which can provide Kirby the Ultra Sword Super Ability. Using this, Kirby can break away the Grand Doomer's shield piece-by-piece whenever he is in the foreground. In Extra Mode, in addition to bouncing, Grand Doomer will engulf in flames and attempt to charge. Once Kirby has landed four hits, the shield breaks, and the Grand Doomer reverts to his normal appearance. He will then attempt to charge up and restore one hit point to his shield to bring it back up. Assuming Kirby still has the Ultra Sword at this point, he can strike one more time, doing so with flourish, to finally dispatch the Grand Doomer, who disintegrates and explodes, yielding the Lor's Mast.
|580 (Main Mode)|
435 (The Arena)
Grand Doomer EX
|640 (Extra Mode)|
480 (The True Arena)
- The Grand Doomer slightly resembles a Quetzal since he has a rigid crest and long tail feathers.
- Due to his mouth design, the Grand Doomer slightly resembles Drawcia Soul. One of his attacks resembles the ball tackle she used.
- When fought in The Arena or The True Arena, the third phase of the fight is skipped entirely, instead having the Grand Doomer defeated normally once his health is depleted from the second phase. This was likely done for three reasons:
- So Kirby cannot carry a Super Ability into the next fight.
- So Kirby can keep whatever ability he's picked for the next fight.
- So characters other than Kirby can finish the fight.
- His EX form, the Grand Doomer EX, still has two eyes unlike the cycloptic Sphere Doomers EX.
- Some of the Grand Doomer's attacks are similar to Marx, such as his rapid teleportation and an attack where he hides in the ground and jumps up to strike.
No damage fight against Grand Doomer.
No damage fight against Grand Doomer EX.
そのおやだまが、とうじょうだ！" —VS Grand Doomer (Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Japanese version)