- This article is about the Copy Ability. For Kirby's animal helpers debuting in Kirby's Dream Land 2, see Animal Friend.
Animal is a Copy Ability that made its debut (and so far only) appearance in Kirby: Squeak Squad. It gives Kirby an animal costume with claws that allow him to dig through soft dirt, snow or clouds in certain areas. In addition, Kirby gains a lunge attack that allows him to tackle enemies.
Kirby gains the Animal ability primarily from the mole-like enemy Gaw Gaw or its larger mid-boss counterpart Gao Gao. While using this ability, Kirby wears an animal suit with brown and beige fur that has features of several different mammalian creatures, including a mole, a beaver, and a fox. This suit covers most of his body, leaving only a hole in the front for his face, with the animal's head laying on top like a hood.
Using this ability, Kirby gains the ability to dig and attack using his claws. In the former case, he is able to bore through soft terrain in specific patches throughout the stages of Kirby: Squeak Squad, which takes the form of either soil, sand, or snow. This allows him to uncover hidden items or passageways that he would not otherwise have been able to reach. Kirby also gains a short-range lunge attack, allowing him to pounce on enemies and then scratch them. After collecting the Ability Scroll for the Animal ability, Kirby also gains a drill-like rush attack that lets him dig through soft material even faster and increases his mobility.
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Obtaining the Ability Scroll for Animal allows Kirby to perform the 'Drill Attack', which propels him through the air like the Burning ability, but with the option of going downward in addition to left or right.
|Animal's moveset in Kirby: Squeak Squad|
Facing Right. Attack names are taken from the Kirby: Squeak Squad Nintendo Official Guidebook.
|Skill||Button Execution||Skill||Button Execution|
Jump ~ Consecutive Scratch
Dash + B
B in diggable spots
↓, ←, or → + B in midair
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Kirby Star Allies
Kirby's Dream Buffet
|Kirby: Squeak Squad||You love dirt! DIG! Sweet dirt! DIG! DIG! DIG! DIG!! Can't dig everywhere...|
Kirby: Squeak Squad manual
- "Animal Kirby's got long, sharp claws, which are good for attacking or digging in soft ground."
- A Copy Ability also called "Animal", with moves similar to the existing Animal ability, was planned to be included in Kirby's Adventure, but didn't make the cut.
- The Animal Copy Ability makes appearances in merchandise pertaining to and being illustrated in the style of Kirby: Right Back at Ya! despite it never actually appearing in the anime due to it ending years before Kirby: Squeak Squad's Japanese release.
- In an interview in Nintendo Dream's June 2022 issue regarding Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Shinya Kumazaki acknowledged how Drill may have reminded fans of Animal, and explained that the biggest reason why Animal wasn't included in the game was because the main enemies of the game are all animals, and thus, if Animal was in the game, all of them would need to give the ability.
"The Great Labyrinth Battle" Celebration Picture from Kirby Star Allies, featuring an Animal Kirby cameo
Character Treat from Kirby's Dream Buffet
Official Kirby Portal video showcasing Animal
Names in other languages