|Gather 'round and look closely! Nothing in my hand! Nothing in my sleeve!|
— Pause screen flavor of Magic from Kirby: Squeak Squad
Magic is a Copy Ability debuting in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, which grants Kirby the ability to perform various magic tricks. When using this Copy Ability, Kirby dons a magician's top hat. Although originally a single use ability, it was changed drastically when it returned in Squeak Squad, now possessing unlimited uses and a different arrangement of attacks. In both of its appearances, Magic is obtained by swallowing Boxy.
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
In Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, the Magic ability can only be used once; thus, as with other limited use abilities, Kirby's appearance does not change until he uses the ability, but he continuously flashes while possessing it. Upon activating Magic, Kirby conjures up a top hat and a roulette of different, randomly chosen icons appears on the screen, which can be stopped by pressing the ability button again, but will also eventually stop by itself if no button is pressed. The ability's ultimate results depend on the icon that the roulette stops on, with the following possible outcomes:
- Cherry: All enemies on the screen are turned into random food.
- Sword: Meta Knight destroys all enemies on the screen.
- 1-Up: All enemies on the screen transform into 1-Ups. This icon appears only once in a roulette.
- Candy: Kirby temporarily becomes invincible as if under the effect of the Candy item. As with the 1-Up, only one Candy icon appears in a roulette.
- Question mark: An ability roulette is triggered, which can be stopped by pressing a button and awards Kirby the ability it stops on. This is the same effect that swallowing two ability-yielding enemies at once has.
Like other abilities with limited uses, Magic does not appear in the ability room unlocked after completing the game.
Kirby: Squeak Squad
In Kirby: Squeak Squad, the Magic ability was changed into a permanent Copy Ability, which includes actual attacks. It appears in various locations, mostly inside bubbles. The scroll for the Magic ability can be found in a Treasure Chest in the fourth section of the Secret Sea and enables Kirby to use the ability's roulette effect from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (although this does end Kirby's use of the ability, like before.)
|Magic moveset in Kirby: Squeak Squad|
Facing Right. Attack names are conjectural.
|Kirby sends three doves from his top hat flying in different directions.||10|
→ + B
|Kirby throws three playing cards horizontally from his top hat.||10|
↑ + B
|Kirby does a Jack-in-the-box trick with his top hat.||20|
Hold B, then release
|Kirby summons a roulette and uses the effect of where it stops. Kirby loses this ability after using Roulette just like in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror.|
|Reference: A Star Bullet deals 40 damage.|
Kirby Star Allies
|Kirby & The Amazing Mirror||No telling what will happen when you use it, but... once you use it, you lose it!|
|Kirby: Squeak Squad||Gather 'round and look closely! Nothing in my hand! Nothing in my sleeve!|
- There was a concept Copy Ability for Kirby Super Star called Card. Card Kirby wore a top hat like Magic Kirby's, and the Card ability gave Kirby a limited ammo of 53 playing cards for throwing, with the last one always being the Joker.
Names in other languages
|Spanish||Brujito||Diminutive of brujo (sorcerer).|
- 20th Anniversary Kirby Pupupu Encyclopedia, p. 121