|This is a rather dangerous ability for all life-forms, organic and otherwise. It can be used to attack enemies with a corrosive liquid that contains damaging substances.|
— Kirby: Planet Robobot pause caption
Poison is a Copy Ability that debuted in Kirby: Planet Robobot. It is obtained by swallowing Venog or Miasmoros the Mid-Boss. When acquiring this ability, Kirby obtains a skull-adorned headband, with poisonous fluid spewing out the top, similar to other fluid-based hats.
The attacks Kirby gains with the Poison ability are similar to the Water ability. However, enemies hit with this attack are continually damaged for a period of time. Among the attacks are simple spewing moves, a geyser-type move, a surfing move that leaves puddles of poison on the ground and allows Kirby to glide over water, a Cutter-like series of punches involving poison, and exhaling clouds of toxic gas. The gas clouds in particular linger for a good while, and can be pushed by wind currents in some stages. Like the Water ability, all attacks from Poison can put out Fire Blocks.
|Poison's moveset in Kirby: Planet Robobot|
(Star Bullet: 52)
Press and release B
|Kirby throws a small blob of poison that becomes a lingering puddle that deals damage over time.||16 (Sticky Toxin)|
|Poison Pummel - Toxic Swamp||
B repeatedly near an enemy
|In a similar style to Cutter's Final Cutter, Kirby throws a barrage of toxin infused punches and finishes with a high AOE splash of poison.
Dash + B
|Like Water's Wave Surf attack, Kirby rides a wave of poison to plow through enemies while leaving a trail of poison puddles.
||24 (Toxic Slide)|
|Kirby spits out a cloud of lingering poisonous smog that can be moved by air currents.
||8→4 (2nd hit onward)|
↑ + B
|Similar to Water's Geyser attack - Kirby fires a geyser of poisonous liquid straight up, which can be held indefinitely.||12→8 (2nd hit onward)|
|Tilted Toxic Tower||
←/→ during Toxic Tower
|While using Toxic Tower, Kirby can tilt to the left or right, causing the toxic gush to splash on either side of him in an arc.||Same as Toxic Tower|
↓ + B in midair
|Like Leaf's version of this attack, Kirby throws 2 poison blobs in a fan-like motion downward that leave behind lingering puddles when reaching the ground.||16 (Sticky Strike)|
Dash + quickly tap B in mid-air
|Kirby chucks a ball of poison that rolls across the ground—similarly to Bomb's Bomb Bowl move—and becomes a puddle when it stops.||18 (Toxic Ball)|
- The Poison ability's design was inspired by a polluted version of the Water ability.
- In Kirby Super Star, there was a scrapped Flower ability that planted flowers on enemys' heads, which apparently would have poisoned them (similar to the Lip's Stick item in the Super Smash Bros. series). This poison function would be used later for the Poison ability.
- Interestingly, one of the early concept art pieces for Poison Kirby (in gallery below) greatly resembles the final design of Beam Mage Kirby in the Team Kirby Clash games.
- The poison from Toxic Ball does more damage than the other moves.
- Poison is the only Copy Ability introduced in Kirby: Planet Robobot that hasn't appeared in later titles since.
Ability Star from Kirby: Planet Robobot
Official Kirby Portal video showcasing Poison
Names in other languages
- Nintendo Dream, June 2016 Issue, p.21