Grand Hammer is a Super Ability that is currently exclusively available in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and its remake. It is an extremely powerful variation of Hammer Kirby, and is obtained by defeating the Mid-Boss Super Bonkers.
Grand Hammer Kirby's appearance changes with a large blue and red rope ribbon around his head, as well as a hammer.
When the execution of the Grand Hammer is initiated, the Hammer enlarges slightly, and if the player shakes the controller, the hammer becomes larger and more powerful in up to two additional stages.
- The first stage of the Grand Hammer appears as a slightly larger version of the hammer that is carried.
- The second stage becomes a florally designed purple hammer with many differently-colored stars painted on it.
- The final and most powerful stage is an extremely large golden hammer with jewels on the rims, as well as large star emblems that point out.
Each size of hammer swing, though more powerful than the last, is also slower than the last. Once the hammer is used, it emits a large shock wave that defeats any enemies in its path; this shockwave gets larger the more the hammer was charged up before use.
The Grand Hammer is primarily used to hammer down giant stakes and stumps that usually result in shifting the ground, but it may also be used to activate springs that will launch Kirby up, and defeat certain enemies like the Strike Box.
|Grand Hammer's moveset|
|Grand Hammer||1 (Wii)
|Kirby smashes his hammer down creating two small shockwaves.|
|Hammer Plus||Shake Wii Remote during Grand Hammer (Wii)
Spin Control Stick during Grand Hammer (Deluxe)
|Kirby's hammer grows and becomes more ornate, then he smashes it down, creating large shockwaves.|
|Super Hammer Plus||Shake Wii Remote during Hammer Plus (Wii)
Spin Control Stick during Hammer Plus (Deluxe)
|Kirby's hammer becomes enormous and golden, and he smashes it down, creating huge shockwaves.|
In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Grand Hammer can be found in the following levels and stages:
|Grand Hammer locations in Kirby's Return to Dream Land|
|Stage||Stage 1||Stage 2||Stage 3||Stage 4||Stage 5||Stage 6|
|*Only in Extra Mode|
|“||This hammer is modeled after an absolutely gigantic hammer of legend!||”|
— Grand Hammer Replica description from Kirby Battle Royale
- In Kirby Battle Royale, there is an unlockable type of headgear for Hammer Kirby based on the ability. It is called the Grand Hammer Replica, and it costs 3000 Battle Coins. The hammer itself is based on the Super Hammer Plus.
|Kirby's Return to Dream Land||Smash the ground with the Grand Hammer! Shake the Wii Remote to power it up, and pound even huge stakes flat!|
|Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe||Smash the ground with this GIANT-SIZED hammer! Wiggle +Control Pad to charge it up and reach 3 power levels. Flatten HUGE stakes too!|
- Magolor can also obtain the power of Grand Hammer from the Master Crown. He uses it as one of his Super Ability attacks during the battle with Magolor Soul in Extra Mode and The True Arena only. Unlike Kirby, Magolor Soul will add an ice element to his Grand Hammer (possibly due to the absence of Snow Bowl in his Super Ability arsenal), freezing the ground and dropping large icicles from the sky when slamming down.
Artwork from Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Ability Star from Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Extra Mode credits picture from Kirby's Return to Dream Land, featuring Grand Hammer Kirby attacking Magolor EX
The Grand Hammer Replica in Kirby Battle Royale
Pause screen artwork of Grand Hammer from Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
Names in other languages
lit. "Billion-ton Hammer"
|French||Marteau géant||Giant Hammer|
"Martello" (Hammer) + "one" (an augmentative suffix in Italian)
|Portuguese||Martelo gigante||Giant hammer|
|Spanish||Gran martillo||Grand Hammer|