Wing Challenge (Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
- This article is about the Wing Challenge in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and its remake. For the stage in New Challenge Stages, see Wing Challenge (New Challenge Stages).
|Can you master the Hover Flap? This is an airborne challenge with almost no land.
— Wing Challenge Caption
Wing Challenge is the sixth Challenge Stage unlocked in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and the eighth Challenge Stage unlocked in Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe. It tests Kirby's proficiency with the Wing Copy Ability in a series of chambers, where the goal is to defeat all the enemies and collect all the coins as quickly as possible. The window of time to earn a Platinum Medal is 0:30 or higher.
The stage consists of two main chambers and two side chambers.
The first chamber begins with a vertical shaft. Kirby will need to fly up this and collect the Score Coins while avoiding the Gordos. Once at the top, Kirby will need to move forward and dive through the enemies and Star Blocks in the halls ahead. From there, another vertical section can be reached with an updraft in it, but a side door can be found at the bottom which can be quickly reached using a Condor Bomb or Dive. In this side chamber, Kirby will need to dive down a diagonal shaft full of Gordos to reach a coin cache. Back on the main path, Kirby will need to fly upward past more Gordos to reach the door to the next main area.
The second chamber begins in a wider space where Gigatzos fill the air with their shots. A side door can be found just underneath the starting position leading to a room where Kirby will need to fly up a diagonal hall with a strong draft and collect more coins along the way. Back on the main path, after navigating past the Gigatzos, Kirby can move past halls filled with more enemies before encountering yet more Gigatzos up ahead. One of these can be lowered by hitting a switch guarded by enemies. After diving through another hall full of enemies and Star Blocks, the stage exit can be reached after avoiding four more Gigatzos, then diving through the last Star Block barrier.
In Extra Mode, the placement of coins is very different in certain areas, and all the Gordos are larger.
There are a few things to keep in mind when aiming for Platinum on this stage, though it should be noted that the strategies listed here are by no means the only ones that will do the job:
- There are no instances in this stage where Feather Gun comes in handy, so Kirby should put that move out of his mind.
- Using Condor Head, Condor Bomb, or Condor Dive gives Kirby invincibility during its flight path, which can be handy for powering through Gigatzo fire or Gordos.
- The groups of enemies along the second room's path can be quickly dealt with using a Toss followed with a Shuttle Loop.
- "A Condor Head allows you to fly up inclines without stopping!"
- "Attack groups with a Shuttle Loop! Press up or left + 1 by a foe to Toss it."
Platinum Rank run of the Wing Challenge in Kirby's Return to Dream Land.
Platinum Rank run of the Wing Challenge in Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe.
Platinum Rank run of the Wing Challenge in Extra Mode in Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe.
Names in other languages
|Sfida - Volo
|Flight - Challenge
|Desafio das asas
|Latin American Spanish
|Reto de las Alas