Sword Challenge (Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
- This article is about the Sword Challenge in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and its remake. For the stage in New Challenge Stages, see Sword Challenge (New Challenge Stages).
|Can you reach the goal before time runs out? Go for the high score!
— Sword Challenge Caption
Sword Challenge is the first Challenge Stage unlocked in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe. It tests Kirby's proficiency with the Sword Copy Ability in a series of chambers, where the goal is to defeat all the enemies and collect all the coins as quickly as possible. The window of time to earn a Platinum Medal is 1:00 or higher (0:30 in Extra Mode).
The stage consists of two main chambers, and two side-chambers.
The first chamber starts with a long corridor, past an arch of silver Score Coins, then reaching the first set of enemies to defeat before a set of steps. From there, Kirby comes across a series of platforms on Ropes that can be cut down. To the right of the third rope platform, a sneaky side door can be found above the entrance to the hallway ahead which leads to a side room. In this side room, Kirby will activate a Bomb Block and need to run to collect the coins before they drop into an abyss below. The main chamber continues down a narrow hall past Bronto Burts and more coin arches before reaching Shotzos on rope platforms. Past a series of thin floors and then a descent using an additional rope platform, a chamber can be hopped into as the cut platform descends which needs to be entered quickly before it is closed off to get more coins. A Gordo guards one more rope platform ahead of the door to the next area.
The second main chamber starts with Kirby moving down floors, then cutting the right rope platforms to get the coins and avoid the Gordos. From there, Kirby will need to fight some Sodorys as he continues his descent. One more set of rope platforms provides a new twist on the choices to make, as well as concealing a switch in the wall that opens up to reveal the second side chamber. In this chamber, Kirby will need to descend to get a series of coins past Gordos on patrol. Back on the main path, a few more obstacles, much the same as before stand in Kirby's way as he continues his descent. The bottommost chamber is guarded by several Sodorys, and is where the stage exit can be found.
When playing this stage in Extra Mode, there are more coins scattered about, including some under a rope platform that Kirby has to cut down, then get after it has reset from him re-entering the area.
There are a few things to keep in mind when aiming for Platinum on this stage, though it should be noted that the strategies listed here are by no means the only ones that will do the job:
- Drill Stab is useful for clearing out enemies while still moving forward. The burst of speed it provides can be handy in certain instances, but it should not be used repeatedly due to the stop at the end.
- Kirby can run over one-block-wide gaps while Dashing. This comes in handy in the first side area.
- Using a Sword Spin in the air is a handy way to keep momentum going while cutting ropes or clearing out foes.
- Down Thrust is an easy way to clear out anything below Kirby. This is particularly handy for the second side area.
- The last set of Sodorys in the final room can be easily defeated quickly using a Spin Slash.
- Due to being the first challenge, the time is not particularly tight, so Kirby does not have to move perfectly to earn Platinum on this stage. Take it easy.
- "Try an Upward Slash in midair, then Jump to reach your goal."
- "Do a Sword Spin to unleash fury! Collect coins as you defeat foes."
- "Charge up and do a Spin Slash to defeat multiple foes!"
Platinum Rank run of the Sword Challenge in Kirby's Return to Dream Land.
Platinum Rank run of the Sword Challenge in Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe.
Platinum Rank run of the Sword Challenge in Extra Mode in Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe.
Names in other languages
|Sfida - Spada
|Sword - Challenge
|Desafio da espada
|Latin American Spanish
|Reto de la Espada