Star Coins are objects which serve as a form of currency and a means of scoring in Kirby and the Forgotten Land. They take the place of Point Stars from previous main-series Kirby games, and have a similar appearance and function, though with the following key differences: Star Coins are not exchanged for 1-Ups (since 1-Ups do not exist in Kirby and the Forgotten Land), and instead are spent in Waddle Dee Town to obtain various things, and they do not cap off at 100, instead continuing to accumulate through the course of the game with a cap of 99999.
Star Coins can be found in a variety of places and earned via various actions, including the following:
- Finding them out in the open or inside stage devices like containers, Pop Flowers, or foliage.
- Obtaining them from defeated enemies.
- Obtaining them from cages that previously held Waddle Dees, and from already collected Blueprints, Rare Stones, and Pieces of Leon's Soul.
- Earning them for completing a stage in Wild Mode difficulty.
- Obtaining them from using amiibo.
- Obtaining them from Sub-Games.
- Clearing target times in Treasure Road stages.
- Finding them by searching around the World Map.
- Obtaining them by redeeming Present Codes at Waddle Dee-liveries.
- Reward for making progress through and clearing cups in the Colosseum.
There are four main denominations of Star Coin, which are analogous to Point Stars in previous main-series titles, as follows:
- Yellow - worth 1 point
- Green - worth 5 points
- Red - worth 10 points
- Blue - worth 30 points
Additionally, piles of Star Coins can be found, which are worth varying amounts depending on their size and composition. Bags containing large amounts of Star Coins can also be obtained in certain instances, such as rewards for Present Codes or via rewards in the Colosseum. Star Coins can also appear as rings during Arch Mouth flying sections, where yellow rings are worth 5 coins, and red rings are worth 20.
Figure of a Star Coin
Spending Star Coins
Star Coins are spent in Waddle Dee Town on the following things:
- Food at the Waddle Dee Café
- Power-up items at Waddle Dee's Item Shop
- Evolved Copy Abilities at Waddle Dee's Weapons Shop
- Capsule figures from Gotcha Machine Alley
- Donate to the Deedly Dees (unlocks more songs)
- Retry boss fights in the Colosseum
Additionally, whenever Kirby is defeated, 100 Star Coins are subtracted from his total. When Kirby loses in the Colosseum, he can spend Star Coins to continue (the price increases for each subsequent defeat) and restart from the last battle, but the timer resumes from the time he was defeated. If Kirby loses in a Treasure Road stage then he will not lose any star coins, but will be forced to start over.
- Collected Star Coins only add to Kirby's total if he completes the stage where he collected them. This rule also applies to deductions incurred by being KO'd, so if Kirby is KO'd multiple times in a single stage, it may be advisable for the player to restart the stage in order to get those coins back.
Names in other languages
|French||Pièce étoile||Star coin|