Downtown Grassland is the first stage of Natural Plains in Kirby and the Forgotten Land. In this stage, Kirby travels through the overgrown city, making use of Warp Stars to travel between each location. Along the way, he uses the Vending Mouth, Cone Mouth, and Dome Mouth to solve puzzles and battles Wild Edge mid-way-through. At the end of the stage, Kirby uses Cone Mouth to defeat a Tortuilding and rescue the last set of Waddle Dees.
There are three Capsules from Vol. 1 to collect in this stage, and five missions to complete. There are a total of nine Waddle Dees to rescue here, when including the mission objectives.
Downtown Grassland consists of three main areas, with the first two being separated by a Warp Star interlude.
In the first area, Kirby has to make his way down a long grassy stretch patrolled by many foes, including Sir Kibble. On the other side, Kirby can find a vending machine and obtain Vending Mouth to clear the immediate vicinity of foes and break various obstacles. A metal shutter can be broken to reveal a hidden cache full of goodies. From there, Kirby needs to head to the right and then back past an angry Buffahorn to get to a Warp Star and ride it to the next area.
The second area starts with Kirby encountering a Poppy Bros. Jr., whose ability he can use to safely neutralize the Shotzos firing down the subsequent path by breaking their support boxes. From here, Kirby can find a few traffic cones, and inhale one to get Cone Mouth. Using this, he can slam his head into enemies to defeat them and break open cracks in the earth to obtain various items. The path winds from here past more Shotzos and other foes past a cracked pipe that can be broken before stopping at a tall wall with a ladder on it, forcing Kirby to abandon his cone before moving forward. At the top of the ladder, Kirby finds an open area where the first caged Waddle Dee can be found. Before Kirby can free the Waddle Dee, he has to face an enemy ambush, which finishes with a battle against Wild Edge. After this, Kirby can take another Warp Star to get to the next area.
The third and last area starts Kirby off in a wide plain with two paths to take. The path on the right leads up a ladder to a rooftop where Kirby can free another Waddle Dee. The main path continues left past a Tortorner and then up a spiral stairway before reaching the top of the tower, where the giant Tortuilding is waiting. Kirby has to move around this great beast and take cover to avoid its biting attacks. At the end of the path, Kirby needs to trick Tortuilding into biting a fragile pipe to weaken it so he can bust it open using Cone Mouth. From there, he can ride up the water spout to get onto a high platform, and from there, drop on Tortuilding to defeat it. This done, Kirby can free the Waddle Dees trapped inside the gold cage to complete the stage.
Differences between difficulties
In Wild Mode, there is an additional Awoofy atop the large Star Block near the start and a Kabu spinning around in the area near the switch. In the second area, a Buffahorn is added near the corner with the tulip barrel. In the third area, a second Awoofy is added to the group of enemies on the right hand side in front of the ladder leading to the Dome Mouth roof. A second Rabiroo is added to the group on the left side guarding the ladder to the vine cone. Lastly, two Awoofies have been added just after the Tortorner, guarding the spiral stairway.
Downtown Grassland has five missions to complete, as follows:
- "Clear the stage" - Kirby must complete the stage.
- "Save the hidden Waddle Dees" - Kirby must find and rescue the three hidden Waddle Dees in silver cages. Their locations are as follows:
- Waddle Dee 1: Rescued after defeating Wild Edge. Cannot be skipped.
- Waddle Dee 2: Found in the last area near the start on the right hand side. Kirby must head up a ladder to get to an area with a dome, then use Dome Mouth to uncover this Waddle Dee.
- Waddle Dee 3: Found in the last area near the start on the left hand side. Kirby can head up a ladder to get to an area where a cone is held up by a vine, cut the vine using Sword or Cutter to release the cone, and use Cone Mouth to defeat the Tortorner and uncover this Waddle Dee. Alternatively, Kirby can use the cone found at the end of the spiral stairway with a bit of backtracking.
- "Make 5 tulips bloom" - Kirby must find and activate the five tulip Pop Flowers in the stage. Their locations are as follows:
- Tulip 1: In the first area atop a tree stump halfway down the path on the left side.
- Tulip 2: Inside a secret passage accessible from inside the gated chamber in the first area.
- Tulip 3: During the first Cone Mouth section, Kirby can find this tulip on a barrel tucked in a left-hand corner shortly before heading down the path to the damaged water pipe.
- Tulip 4: Near Tortorner's position, this tulip can be found to the right beside a tree.
- Tulip 5: While climbing the spiral stairway, this tulip can be found in the nook behind the Buffahorn.
- "Break the building's shutter" - Kirby must use Vending Mouth to bust open the damaged blue shutter gate to the right of where the vending machine is located.
- "Ride the spewing water up to the balcony" - Kirby must bust the pipe found during the first Cone Mouth section and ride the water spout up.
Enemies, Mid-Boss, and Abilities
|Regular Enemies||Bosses & Mid-Bosses|
There are a few tricks performable in this stage which do not appear to be intended by the developers. They are as follows:
- It is currently possible to get Cone Mouth Kirby up to the platform where Wild Edge is fought. To do this, Kirby needs to bring the cone to the wall with the ladder and then jump and inhale in midair to get the cone in his mouth again. Right after the transformation, if the cone and Kirby were positioned correctly, Kirby then can quickly jump again in the air and then perform a "Spike Downward", giving him just enough height to get up. From there, Kirby can use Cone Mouth to battle and defeat Wild Edge fairly quickly. Touching the Warp Star afterward will force Kirby to drop the cone.
- Near the end of the stage, where Kirby is contending with Tortuilding, it is possible to get on top of Tortuilding's shell and defeat it early by using an aerial "Spike Downward" jump to hop onto the wall that Tortuilding normally breaks along the path. Speed is key here to use this wall to then hop onto Tortuilding's shell, because the enemy will break the wall if Kirby is not quick enough.
- A blue Star Coin can be found in this stage above where the vending machine used for Vending Mouth is found. To reach the Star Coin, Kirby must break the blue shutter nearby and climb up the ladder inside. Then Kirby must float over to the left now that he has enough height to reach the platform the coin is sitting on.
- Downtown Grassland is the only stage in the game that does not directly make up a portion of any stage in Isolated Isles: Forgo Dreams, since Point of Arrival takes its place as the first segment of Forgo Plains, although the fifth segment of Forgo Plains takes place on building rooftops and makes use of Cone Mouth Kirby to progress in a manner that is reminiscent of this stage.
Nintendo Switch Online profile icon background, depicting Downtown Grassland
100% walkthrough of Downtown Grassland.
Names in other languages
Sōgen no Birudingu
|Dutch||Stads grasveld||Grassland cities|
|French||Plaine urbaine||Urban Plains|
|German||Urbane Graslande||Urban Grasslands|
|Italian||Pianura urbana||Urban plain|
|Spanish||Valle Edificado||Built Valley|