Bomb Blocks are, as their name implies, blocks that detonate. The blocks are activated when Kirby performs any manner of attack on them. Normally, their use consists of clearing adjacent blocks, Star Blocks, Metal Blocks, etc, or turning portions of solid walls to rubble. Most often this clears a new path for Kirby. Occasionally a rogue bomb block will actually drop a wall down to obstruct Kirby either instead of or in addition to clearing the path.
Most bomb blocks are easily activated. In rare instances, which usually lead to extra areas containing bonuses, a bomb block will require the use of a copy ability to activate. These often lead to rewards such as hearts, maps, 1-Ups, Maxim Tomato, or even other copy abilities.
- A bomb block found a short reach behind a solid wall can be activated with a Beam whip attack, including the one from the UFO ability.
- An overhead, but inaccessible from the sides block, can be activated with Missile. If located directly above a slope, a ricocheted Laser shot will travel upwards to strike it.
- When far behind a solid wall, Kirby will need to use a further reaching ability. Ice can freeze enemies and kick them across the screen, even through walls.
Kirby's Star Stacker
In Kirby's Star Stacker, bomb blocks occasionally rise when King Dedede's fist pounds the ground and adds a new row to the play field. The bomb blocks can be detonated by matching any two pairs either below and above, or to the left and right of it. When detonated, the bomb will eliminate the entire row of blocks beside it.
Kirby Super Star
- Wii U Virtual Console manual bio: "It explodes when hit, causing damage to anything around it."
- "Attack a bomb block and it will detonate to take out nearby obstacles and create new paths." (Kirby: Squeak Squad manual, pg. 22)