List of rumors of ancient civilizations in the Kirby series
The Kirby universe contains a multitude of enigmatic ruins, structures, and artifacts of great power, with many of these relics being found on Popstar itself. Numerous pieces of dialogue and flavor text pay reference to these objects, and hint at the groups and/or entities that may have been responsible for their existence, but which are no longer present. The following is a list of rumors of ancient civilizations in the Kirby series:
References by game
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
- The Japanese website for Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards mentions that the ruins of Rock Star were built by an ancient civilization.
- The same website states that the people who used to live on Shiver Star left because it was too cold, leaving their still-operating stores and factories behind. Shiver Star notably resembles a frozen Earth, but the significance of this has not been explained.
Kirby Super Star Ultra
- Galacta Knight's pause screen description mentions that he was sealed away "long ago", and that he "defies time to challenge you". Later games in the series reinforce the idea that Galacta Knight is a warrior from ancient times.
Kirby Mass Attack
- In Kirby Mass Attack, Daroach comments that the ruins of Sandy Canyon were built by "a great civilization that once thrived here". No further details are given.
Kirby's Return to Dream Land / Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
- As a reward for obtaining all 120 Energy Spheres, Magolor explains a little bit to Kirby about a long-lost civilization that he refers to as the "ancients". He explains that they were responsible for building the Lor Starcutter and the Master Crown, among many other relics (implied to include the Star Rod and Galactic Nova), by harnessing "an incredible power".
- Pause screen descriptions for Landia and Magolor during their respective boss battles indicate that Landia was tasked with guarding the Master Crown and the Lor Starcutter since ancient times.
- The mobile North American website calls the structures in Raisin Ruins "ancient temples". This idea is also alluded in one track's name that is heavily associated with the area - "Vestiges of the Ancients".
- Several stages in Magolor Epilogue: The Interdimensional Traveler feature ruins of various ancient structures, even extending to the ruins of the Ethereal Altar. Their significance is unknown and left vague at best.
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
- It is explained in the figurine description for Hooplagoon that Claycia turned to "ancient blueprints" in order to construct this particular boss. She also apparently used "ancient clay" in its construction.
Kirby: Planet Robobot
- The pause screen description for the Holo-Doomers references Energy Spheres, saying that they contain ancient technology.
- When President Haltmann introduces Kirby to Star Dream, he explains that it was something his company had found and reactivated using knowledge from "the most advanced civilizations in the known universe". Star Dream's form after it fuses with the Access Ark greatly resembles Galactic Nova, implying that the two are related.
Kirby Star Allies
- During Hyness's crazed rant, he mentions an opposing civilization that was responsible for banishing him and his people to the edge of the galaxy, and then trying to erase them from history. He follows up by stating that his people's magic was used to "overcome their science and achieve great prosperity". He also implies that at least some of the descendants of that opposing civilization are living in Dream Land. It is unclear how much of this rant is true and how much is distorted by Hyness's warped perspective.
- Pause screen descriptions for Hyness and Void Termina's various forms refer to "ancient scrolls" which describe events from the distant past. One such description explains that long ago, four heroes were responsible for sealing Void Termina away using magical spears. These same spears are seen in the Jamba Heart that contains Void Termina. Another description explains that the ancients began to write scrolls about Void due to "his shining form in another dimension".
Super Kirby Clash
- The final opponent in Super Kirby Clash - the Aeon Hero - is referred to as an "ancient hero". During his final battle as Aeon Hero (Dark), he is able to cause a rain of spears to fall on Team Kirby, which resemble the spears of the heart used to seal away the Jamba Heart in Kirby Star Allies.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Kirby and the Forgotten Land takes place in a different world filled with ruins from a lost civilization. This world features a city with a level of technology and culture roughly analogous to modern human cities. The civilization also had its own language. As revealed while Kirby enters Lab Discovera, the inhabitants of this world were invaded by an alien force, which began wreaking havoc on the local wildlife. The inhabitants captured the invader, codenamed it ID-F86, and began studying the specimen. The inhabitants used the specimen's innate spatial teleportation ability to create planetary warp technology, and then set off to explore other planets — but not without first creating a tourist attraction out of ID-F86. Thirty years after research began, a "warp-experiment incident" resulted in ID-F86 being split into two halves. The remains of ID-F86 were kept in stasis via a custom-made Eternal Capsule, while the secondary specimen, ID-F87, was never recovered. An unknown amount of time after the residents of the world left it behind, the native wildlife gradually became sapient, and eventually formed a rudimentary civilization, with Leon and Carol as their leaders. When Leon happened upon Lab Discovera and found the remains of ID-F86, it influenced Leon's mind and made him begin assembling the Beast Pack, with Leon using the lab as his own home base. The Beast Pack's primary goal was to provide sustenance for ID-F86's shattered body so that they could be freed and made whole once more — which included hunting for ID-F86's lost half. Using their spatial teleportation capabilities, ID-F86 was able to open a portal from their world to Popstar in order to gain even more sustenance and bolster their numbers, kickstarting the main story.
- Japanese Kirby 64 page for Rock Star - https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nk4j/horobi_s/index.html
- Japanese Kirby 64 page for Shiver Star - https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nk4j/buru_s/index.html