|“||Throw a ball of yarn to damage an enemy or break a block.||”|
— Kirby's Epic Yarn Instruction Booklet (North American Print), page 12
A yarn ball (also referred to as a ball of yarn) is an object that can be created by rolling up an enemy or object using the Yarn Whip in Kirby's Epic Yarn and Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn. After obtaining a yarn ball, Kirby or Prince Fluff can then toss it in any given direction to attack other enemies or break blocks, including cloth blocks and enemies that cannot be affected directly by the Yarn Whip. They can also be placed down on the ground and picked up again later. Using yarn balls is the primary means of attacking bosses in the game.
In Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, yarn balls can be created using the Knitting Needles Ravel Ability. When wrapping up an enemy on top of using this ability, extra large yarn balls are created which can pass through enemies when thrown.
Types of yarn balls
There are several different types of yarn balls, which are made from certain types of enemies. These are as follows (note that names are conjectural):
- Regular: a standard circular yarn ball that can be tossed to defeat enemies, similar to a Star Bullet.
- Arrow: a triangular projectile that passes through enemies it hits into.
- Homing: a winged yarn ball that chases after enemies it is thrown toward. Some of these can split into three projectiles when thrown.
- Bomb: a yarn ball with a fuse that can be tossed forward in an arc. It does not explode on impact, instead exploding when its fuse burns through. This type can only be created by wrapping up Bomber.
- Wheel: resembles a regular yarn ball until thrown, where it rolls across the ground until hitting its target. If thrown upward, it will travel forward in an arc then fall to the ground. This type can only be created by wrapping up Shelby.
- Light: a yarn ball that dispels darkness around it. This type can only be created by wrapping up Stogue.
- Giant: a yarn ball made by transforming an enemy into a yarn ball while also using the Knitting Needles ability, resulting in a larger projectiles that can pass through enemies.
Yarn balls by enemy/object
When enemies and objects are wrapped up into a yarn ball, the resulting ball will retain the color(s) of the object or enemy in question, though this is purely cosmetic. The following enemies and objects turn into the following types of yarn balls when wrapped up (enemies not listed here cannot be turned into yarn balls or do not appear in places where the Yarn Whip can be used):
|Balloon Waddle Dee||Regular|
|Bow Waddle Dee||Arrow (when grabbing bow or arrows)|
|Dandan (and projectile)||Regular|
|Meta Knight's Crescent Shots||Regular|
|Parasol Waddle Dee||Regular|
|Spear Waddle Dee||Arrow (when grabbing spear)|
|Sword and Spear Mariners' weapons||Arrow|
|Sword and Spear Soldiers' weapons||Arrow|
Names in other languages
|French||Balle de fil||Yarn ball|
|Spanish||Bola de estambre||Yarn ball|