- This article is about the Yarn Transformation from Kirby's Epic Yarn and Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn. For the transformation in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, see Kirby Submarine.
The Submarine is a yarn transformation that both Kirby and Prince Fluff automatically undergo when submerged in water in Kirby's Epic Yarn and Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn. Shallow water, however, such as that of Rainbow Falls, will not trigger the Submarine transformation. Presumably, Kirby's and Prince Fluff's feet form the conning tower and propeller, as said parts, as well as their shoes, are in proportionate size, shape and color. Unlike Kirby's usual underwater transformations, goggles are not used.
Underwater movements are generally less restrictive since jumping is no longer needed to travel upwards. The whip, rolling-up, and toss powers remain intact. The Yarn Whip actually has more potential underwater, as downward throws are possible. In place of a jump or dash action, the 2 button allows for either action, while near a surface up and 2 will perform a jump, otherwise 2 will rotate the propeller faster and generate faster movement. Underwater travel also is affected by jets of more powerful flow. While on the surface in Submarine form, waves can affect the submarine's travel.
Names in other languages
- "You can still use whip actions (p. 11) and rolling-up actions (p.12) while underwater." –Kirby's Epic Yarn instruction manual (page 10)
- "While in submarine form, you can aim the Yarn Whip and throw abilities downward." –Prima® Essential Guide Kirby's Epic Yarn (Prima Games), pg. 5
- "You can swim with (dpad) and press 2 repeatedly to speed up. Press and hold 2 to tread water" –Kirby's Epic Yarn instruction manual (page 10)
- Official Kirby website [dead link] (French language selected). While no working archive of the full Canadian French site exists, the French-language strings used by the website have been archived and includes the following text:
Dès que Kirby se retrouve dans l'eau, il se transforme en ce véhicule marin. Nager, c'est facile... quand on est submersible!
- Official Kirby website [dead link] (Spanish language selected)