|Block falling objects, fill your parasol with wind, and take to the sky!
— Parasol Challenge Caption
Parasol Challenge is the second stage of Happiness Hall in New Challenge Stages, unlocked after completing the Sword Challenge. It tests Kirby's proficiency with the Parasol Copy Ability in a series of chambers, where the goal is to defeat all the enemies and collect all the coins as quickly as possible. The window of time to earn a Platinum Medal is 1:20 or higher.
Completing this stage is necessary to unlock the first Magolor Race.
The stage consists of two main chambers, and two side-chambers.
The first chamber begins (after Kirby drifts into place) with a series of steps barricaded by Star Blocks. From there, Kirby will need to drill through foes and drift along to collect more coins in the air while using the Parasol to defend himself from threats from above. After diving down at some Waddle Dees, a switch can be found in the wall which will reveal a door to a side area when pressed. In this area, Kirby will need to catch some coins after they drop from a Bomb Block barricade. Back on the main path, the door to the next area can be found after jumping over a pit with Foleys floating above it.
The second chamber starts by having Kirby dive downward at Bronto Burts in lines. From there, after clearing more enemies, Kirby will need to traverse big open chambers with wind currents blowing upward from the abyss below. The door to the second side area can be found behind some magma blocks which can be cooled using the standard Parasol Swing. This side area features a set of switches in the wall that cause the floor to move out in sequence. Back on the main path, Kirby will need to drill through some shifting obstacles, then hover up to one last room with a circular wind current inside. After collecting the last coins, hitting the Bomb blocks on top will reveal the stage exit.
There are a few things to keep in mind when aiming for Platinum on this stage, though it should be noted that the strategies listed here are by no means the only ones that will do the job:
- Parasol automatically hits any enemies above Kirby, so it may not be necessary to "attack" certain foes while moving forward.
- Parasol drifting can be canceled by tapping down on the Control Pad / Control Stick, which can allow Kirby to move more quickly in certain instances.
- Many lines of coins are arranged in such a way that using Parasol Drift is the ideal way to collect them. This is the case in particular for the first side area.
- Kirby can hold his Parasol out in front of him after a swing, in a move called "Parasol Shield". This is handy in the second side area.
- "Your parasol can shield you from attacks that come from above."
- "And a Parasol Drill can carry you through spikes without getting you hurt."
- "Try a Parasol Dive to attack a line of enemies beneath you."
- "You can use Parasol Drill in midair."
- "Parasol Shield will stay up as long as you keep pressing 1."
- "A Parasol Swing can put out fire. Have you tried that on Fire Blocks?"
Names in other languages
Platinum Rank run of the Parasol Challenge.