Sword Challenge (New Challenge Stages)
- This article is about the Sword Challenge in New Challenge Stages. For the stage in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, see Sword Challenge (Kirby's Return to Dream Land).
|“||Can you master the king of weapon-based Copy Abilities?||”|
— Sword Challenge Caption
Sword Challenge is the first stage of Happiness Hall in New Challenge Stages. It tests Kirby's proficiency with the Sword Copy Ability in a series of chambers, where the goal is to defeat all the enemies and collect all the coins as quickly as possible. The window of time to earn a Platinum Medal is 1:35 or higher.
The stage consists of three main chambers, and one side-chamber.
The first area has Kirby moving along a series of relatively simple halls, with straight lines of Score Coins and small clusters of enemies to defeat. A number of tutorial signs can be found here which remind the player of Kirby's basic movements, including attacking, hovering, dashing over thin gaps, and dropping through thin floors. The door forward can be found shortly after the last of these signs.
The second area features more dynamic stage design, with vertical chutes and Bottomless pits needing to be traversed. Further in, a number of Rope platforms can be cut to make quick work of enemies below and bridge a spike pit. At the end of this path, after dropping with a cut rope platform, Kirby will need to deal with the Sodorys guarding the door to the next area.
The third area features large gear-like boulders that roll after Kirby down the various halls, which he will need to keep ahead of. While running ahead of the second one, a switch in the wall up ahead can be hit to access a hidden side door. This door leads to a room with two rope platforms hanging above a cache of coins laying on a Bomb Block barrier. Cutting the wrong rope here will drop the coins into the abyss. Back on the main path, Kirby will need to drop down through barricades of Star Blocks and enemies, later trying to outpace a giant gear falling from above. If Kirby is quick enough, he can grab some more coins below the stage exit before the gear crashes through the star blocks holding them over an abyss.
There are a few things to keep in mind when aiming for Platinum on this stage, though it should be noted that the strategies listed here are by no means the only ones that will do the job:
- Kirby can run over one-block-wide gaps while Dashing. This comes in handy in the first chamber.
- Drill Stab is useful for clearing out enemies while still moving forward. The burst of speed it provides can be handy in certain instances, but it should not be used repeatedly due to the stop at the end.
- Using a Sword Spin in the air is a handy way to keep momentum going while cutting ropes or clearing out foes. In some instances, it is better to use a Sword Spin to take out enemies while moving than using a Drill Stab, as the latter move has a short but noticeable end lag to it.
- Whenever dealing with enemies or other obstacles below Kirby, Down Thrust is the ideal move to use.
- The last set of Sodorys in the second chamber can be easily defeated quickly using a Spin Slash.
- Due to being the first challenge, the time is not particularly tight, so Kirby does not have to move perfectly to earn Platinum on this stage. Take it easy.
Names in other languages
Platinum Rank run of the Sword Challenge.